Menu

For those of you who do copywork...

stephanie

how many times per week do you normally do it? Ours has ended up being only once per week and it's in the WT assignment. I was just wondering if that was even enough to expose them to all the different types of punctuation, words, etc. We also do R&S for grammar and Spelling Wisdom for dictation. Thanks for the input!

We do copywork 3x a week, but mine aren't doing dictation yet. They also aren't doing a formal grammar program... so I suppose we have more eggs in that basket, so to speak. We do ETC daily.

My 8 yr old will start Writing Tales 1 and Spelling Wisdom this summer, and hopefully Lively Latin soon thereafter. I want him to finish Explode the Code first. I also have sentences from the Wise Guide (SWR) that I plan to use even though I'm not using the SWR program in its entirety.

Once I am doing all that, I can't see that we'll continue to do copywork 3 times a week, but perhaps once a week.

At this point, I just do it one day a week in conjunction with CW Beg Poetry A. We did copywork more frequently in the grammar stage, but usually no more than 2 or 3 times a week, if that. My boys find the physical aspect of writing very taxing, so I tried to find a good balance of doing the copywork, but not to the extent that the word 'copywork' produced tears.

We do copywork every day. Lately, I have been having my son look up 3 words in the Dictionary, write out it's part of speech, and then the definition. It's helping with spelling, handwriting, dictionary skills, vocabulary, etc...he actually REALLY likes it.

We also do copywork right out of SOTW. We write out scriptures, whatever I see fit that day. :)

We do regular copywork but it varies according to age. My 7th grader keeps a copywork journal (commonplace book) which she adds to twice a week. She selects passages she likes from literature to write in there. She actually loves this and will spend ages on it. My 6th grader also does c'work 2x week (she is ready for her journal too.)

My 4th and 2nd graders do c'work more regularly, and it varies between passages from history, literature, Bible and PLL lessons. Some days 4th grader does dictation.

We've done it so many different ways, it might be confusing.

In first grade we used poetry copywork which a product called Copycats from HomeschoolEStore.com which two lines of poetry was copied each day.

Then with WTM, I decided to do copywork 3x a week: 1 sentence from history, 1 from science and 1 from literature.

Now we're using Primary Language Lessons from Lingua Mater, HillsideEducation.com and copywork is part of the program but I couldn't say how often we do it because it varies depending on the lessons. I would say that we do it at least 1x a week and depending on the lessons, it might be 4x a week. Now we're also keeping a poetry notebook where each poem we study is copied.

Right now in latter part of 2nd grade, I'm focusing more on teaching her to create complete sentences than I am handwriting skills so anything she "copies", I consider copywork. Such as if I model a sentence for her and she copies it from the board- I count that as copywork.

I'll also pull morals from the stories we read and have her copy those if I don't feel there's an adequate amount of copywork for the week but I'm finding as she develops more, there is more writing to be done such as writing complete sentences to answer questions in our subjects.

We're using products that incorporate copywork in them such as Primary Language Lessons and next year Simply Spelling will have copywork each day, as will Writing Tales. This makes my task (have them do copywork) much easier than trying to come up with it on my own.

Clear as mud, huh?

I want to throw in that we also do copywork for math. I write out some skip counting - by 8's for example - and then have DD copy it 4 times. We do this a few times a week and it's made a big difference in her remembering the numbers and patterns. We also use it for sentence stuff, etc - but the math has been great.