Menu

Classically Done...Thinking Charlotte Mason...

FloridaMomTo5

I loved your whole post, well this whole conversation! I definitely will read CM herself, and I'll look at AO more closely as well. I've browsed it before, just looking for suggestions for good literature to read aloud to my daughter. But I'll look at it with more of an eye for using it as our curriculum. They may have articles about this already there (I need to go look) but would you have any advice for someone transitioning into CM and AO? Where to begin? My dd will be in 4th next year, and we've done a mostly WTM-style homeschool up until now, though with less emphasis on Language Arts than what SWB recommends, and more on art and science since that's where my dd's interests lie.

ETA: Also thinking of using Language Lessons for the Elementary Child from Queen's homeschool, and welcome any feedback on that.

When I began implementing CM ideas into our curriculum, I started by adding picture study. I chose a print (it happened to be Starry Night) and had my children look at it. They passed around the picture and then I took the picture away and had them describe it to me in as colorful language as they could muster up. Then I broke out some paint paper and some poster paint and let them interpret the painting in their own way. The next week we read a VERY SHORT bio of Van Gogh and studied another one of his paintings. I had the kids describe what they saw. We didn't do a project that week. For the next few weeks I kept Van Gogh picture postcards on my fridge...and casually would mention something I noticed or ask one of my kids to ciome and look with me to see if we could find something we hadn't seen before...or find a color that we hadn't noticed. All tghat was very casual. After 9 weeks we switched to Degas...similar method. We worked through the Hudson Valley School (I thought it was appropriate since we live there and we had access to see some of the real thing.)

Anyway...picture study is a real easy thing to add.

I would also add in narration...not so much a guided one ala WTM, but tell me what you learned about.... or have your playmobile guys act out the story of Joshua and the battle of Jericho.

A lesson un-narrated, is a lesson unlearned. If they can "tell it," they know it.

Nature study is easy too, especially if you keep it very casual and don't freak out about the proper way to do it. Find a bug and watch it. Ask your child where he found it? What does it eat? Can it fly?? Does it have wings?? How many legs?? Is it a true insect? Maybe look it up online. Same with birds...or flowers...or the dog. Just learn to "see." This does not need to be a subject, but a casual conversation with your kiddoes where ever you might be. We watched a spider spin a web in my van once.

Buy a classical music CD...we like to begin with Handel's Messiah...at Christmas time. Pop it into your car and listen when you go. Get a story book from the library about it. Bring an orchestra up on You tube and watch the violins....Be creative. These are easy to just teach stealth. This is what CM meant by "education is a life." I love teaching stealth...

I am sure you are already doing Math, penmanship or some type of writing, maybe Latin, some kind of religious study. keep doing those...read some of the CM articles or CM's books and begin to try new things one at a time...

For science, maybe you can add in a biography once a quarter (every 9 or 10 weeks) to be read slowly and narrated.

For history...do the same.

I was worried about that when we started because I couldn't figure out how the kids would follow, but we can watch a tv episode weekly and remember the characters...the story line...where we left off etc. I have found the same with my kiddoes and books. I just have someone give a quick re-cap of the events up to that point....

The fun thing is to remember that your homeschool can never look like my homeschool which can never look like anyone else's homeschool. We need to feel it out...trust our instincts and be a bit creative. I have used CM's methods with many different types of curricula...or putting my own together. I have used AO as a resource since its inception...and it was called PUO...but I have yet to follow the program without adding in what will work for my kids or budget...and dropping other things that would not work for us. I use many WTM resources and principles... but I NEVER use abridged books...UGH!

Many people love them...many think they get kids to feel comfortable with a story...I love children's versions that are well written...but never a dumbed down version.

Sorry for going on so....I'll be quiet now..

And good luck. If you have any specific questions please feel free to PM me.

Faithe

I think when it comes to my youngest I will be exclusively CM because his needs are slightly different than my girls.

Can you explain what/how you will do this? I'm just starting out on our journey and find myself leaning in a CM direction. Thanks

with Mommyfaithe and really encourage anyone interested in CM to go to the AO site and download Volume 1...right now! :) When I kept asking questions, Tami, another member of this board kept encouraging me to read her works for myself. Volume 1 can be read in a relatively short time; I read it in a week in just a short time each day. I chose to read it in the modern English version so I could move through it more quickly. I am now halfway through Volume 6 and will go back and read Volumes 2-5 this summer.

There really is no substitute for reading her words for yourself. All the summaries I have read just do not do it justice. Truly.

Here is the link to download CM works for FREE!!!!

We use the Queen's Language Lessons and my 9, almost 10 year old, is using the book you mentioned above. It is very gentle and he likes it a lot. I also add studied dictation (Spelling Wisdom from Simply Charlotte Mason) and he writes a narration each week on something he enjoyed reading. I don't edit these yet. They are just for practice.

When my kids turn 10 I add in formal grammar, but Queen's has enough for now.

Oh, my kids LOVE the picture studies. It is really a unique thing for language arts.

Thank you for this information! My dd is 9, will be 10 this fall. I'm thinking that between Queen's Language Lessons and Latin she'll probably be getting enough grammar for now. We tried grammar as a separate subject for awhile, but it really didn't "click" for her. When we did it as part of studying Latin, she took to it fantastically! Still deciding what to do for spelling, which is not exactly one of her strong points. We're trying out the Calvert spelling CD, so I'll see how that goes and then decide if we should look into something else. I think my dd will enjoy the picture studies too. That sounds fun!

Thank you for this information! My dd is 9, will be 10 this fall. I'm thinking that between Queen's Language Lessons and Latin she'll probably be getting enough grammar for now. We tried grammar as a separate subject for awhile, but it really didn't "click" for her. When we did it as part of studying Latin, she took to it fantastically! Still deciding what to do for spelling, which is not exactly one of her strong points. We're trying out the Calvert spelling CD, so I'll see how that goes and then decide if we should look into something else. I think my dd will enjoy the picture studies too. That sounds fun!

Latin will definitely help with grammar. My boys had some understanding of the parts of speech before latin, but they really understand case, gender and parts of speech now.

If Calvert doesn't work out Spelling Wisdom by Simply Charlotte Mason is wonderful and Queen's also has a Spelling Through Copy Work series.

My little daughter just drew a chicken did a picture study today for her Queen's lesson. She is four, but she loves the lessons as much as her brothers. :001_smile:

These are easy to just teach stealth. This is what CM meant by "education is a life." I love teaching stealth...

Faithe, this was wonderful. Thank you so much! I do have a "discouraged perfectionist" lurking within who thinks we have to do everything perfectly, and then gives up too easily when perfection doesn't happen. Your advice about just changing one thing at a time, and keeping it simple, well it was just what I needed to hear! :001_smile: Thank you both for the specific tips and for the general idea about teaching "stealth" (hadn't heard that before -- I like it!)!

She is just a very different kid than my older classically educated dd.

I was blessed to find someone mention Queen Homeschool Supply

I have purchased their Language Arts and Cursive books for 3rd grade this year, switching from CLE (which I love mind you).

Also using Apologia Elementary with her and God's Design for Science, alternating days, (she loves science)

Hoping this all works out for my littler one. :)

• 1 year later...
Guest Carol Webster

I have been a big Charlotte Mason fan for years. I've read a lot and applied much of her teaching. My take is that we can apply any good principles that we find... In preparing to write an article for my education website something hit me about classical education vs. Classical Education. I think many "think" they know what a classical education is in the way that they know what classical music is. That use of the term is lower case "classical"... but Well-Trained Mind is talking about a specific structure (the Dorthy Sayer article is my reference for the structure in the article) and that is the capital "C" Classical. To read the article you can go to principlebasedlearning.com

I don't think there is any "one" method that meets all needs. Take what is best from any you study and fit "the best parts" to the needs of your family.

Carol Webster