Menu

Hysterecomy questions

ok, I know it's spelled Hysterectomy but it won't let me edit that!

I will be having a total hysterectomy soon. I am 35 and have had a host of problems since high school. The plan is to leave my ovaries(and hope the polycystic activity lessons) for another 10-15 years and then remove them if necessary, but they may come out as well.

He is doing a minimally invasive procedure but it says 6-8 weeks recovery time.

my questions,

1) is this 6-8 week recovery in bed? or light activity?

2) how much pain will I really be in?

3) what do I need to know before doing this. share the dirty details no brochure or dr is sharing with me!!!!

thanks so much. I am very nervous about this. It occurred to me today that the kids' activities may have to stop and somehow I would have to try and finish up our school year early or just get the basics done.....

ok, I know it's spelled Hysterectomy but it won't let me edit that!

I will be having a total hysterectomy soon. I am 35 and have had a host of problems since high school. The plan is to leave my ovaries(and hope the polycystic activity lessons) for another 10-15 years and then remove them if necessary, but they may come out as well.

He is doing a minimally invasive procedure but it says 6-8 weeks recovery time.

my questions,

1) is this 6-8 week recovery in bed? or light activity?

2) how much pain will I really be in?

3) what do I need to know before doing this. share the dirty details no brochure or dr is sharing with me!!!!

thanks so much. I am very nervous about this. It occurred to me today that the kids' activities may have to stop and somehow I would have to try and finish up our school year early or just get the basics done.....

I had what's called a TAH, that means a 1 foot incision but I was not in a great deal of pain. They initially provide you with self-administered pain medication (little button) and you sleep for a while - in my case about one and a half days.

By the end of the second day, I asked to have all the pain stuff removed and I felt okay.

Of course, there is some pain when you get in and out of bed or want to move too fast. If you are having small incisions (minimally invasive) your recovery period should be smooth. You may not be able to lift much - I think this is universal after this type of surgery. At about 8 weeks you can do light housework. Don't do anything before then even if you feel fine because of the danger of adhesions on the inside.

If you had a lot of problems (mine was rampant endo) you should feel soooo much better afterwards.

If you have any more questions, PM or e-mail me.

The six-eight week recovery period is the general time frame in which you will have restrictions on activity (limited steps at least at first, e.g., lifting, etc). I consider this the immediate surgical recovery period. Many seems to find that it takes a year to feel fully "back to normal." If your ovaries come out, or if they go into a funk following your surgery, your recovery will include adjusting to menopausal symptoms. Your doctor will give more specific instructions, and your recovery will vary depending on the exact nature of your surgery. In general, I would say expect to spend most of the 1st week in bed, although you will need to be up walking around some (slowly!) after a couple of days. As you get progressively stronger, you will aid your recovery both by doing the recommended amount of simple walking AND by not overdoing your activity.

Your level of pain will be somewhat unique to you and to which method of surgery is used. I had a 9" abdominal incision, and my pain was significant for the first week (lessening by the end of the week) and tapered off from there. Generally, I hurt when I shifted or moved in a way that used those stomach muscles that had gotten cut.

I would strongly recommend that you arrange for your hubby to be off from work for the two weeks including and immediately following your surgery. You don't want to need to be tending to child care, homeschooling, cooking meals, shopping, lifting young children, etc. You will probably need some help for the first two months following surgery, although your need for help will lessen progressively as you recover.

Personally, I would strongly recommend against trying to continue homeschooling, at least during the first 3-4 weeks of your recovery. You can finish your kids' lessons this summer if need be, but hysterectomy recovery is no time to push the outer limits of your abilities!

In my observation, the people who recover the fastest from hysterectomies are those who scrupulously follow their doctor's instructions, including getting the rest you need.

Hope this helps! Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

If the doctor sends you home with prescription pain medicine, I would assume that it will be very constipating. :( My doc recommended a moderate dose of Milk of Magnesia 3x per day until I was regulated. I would advise that you plan ahead for this and not get caught by surprise. There is no need in compounding your hurts!

I had a hyster at 24 (I am 35 now) and I do not regret it one bit. The day I had the surgery I also had my bladder fixed, so the surgery only gave me a 4 inch scar on the bikini line right at the top of my vagina. He removed the rest through my vagina to avoid any kind of huge incision.

The 6-8 wks of activity is a MUST!! That means no sex, no heavy lifting, no running, no jogging, bowling, playing, nothing but sitting, walking around slowly and that's about it. LIGHT activity like doing the dishes--no sweeping, mopping, nothing that would require you to overwork that area. Please trust me on this--you will hurt yourself if you don't listen to it. Even driving is a bit risky.

For me, I was actually in very little pain from the hyster itself. ALL of my pain came from the incision needed to fix my bladder. You really won't feel any pain unless they do a huge incision (which there is no reason to, as they can do it laproscopically or through the vagina). Seriously, if you can ask about it through that way instead of any incision. It really speeds up the healing.

And again, I cannot stress enough--do not do anything that you wouldn't do after having a baby--you may not need the full 6 weeks to recover, but at least 3 weeks of nothing but rest (or 2 good, solid weeks) and then light LIGHT work.

I had a hyster at 24 (I am 35 now) and I do not regret it one bit. The day I had the surgery I also had my bladder fixed, so the surgery only gave me a 4 inch scar on the bikini line right at the top of my vagina. He removed the rest through my vagina to avoid any kind of huge incision.

The 6-8 wks of activity is a MUST!! That means no sex, no heavy lifting, no running, no jogging, bowling, playing, nothing but sitting, walking around slowly and that's about it. LIGHT activity like doing the dishes--no sweeping, mopping, nothing that would require you to overwork that area. Please trust me on this--you will hurt yourself if you don't listen to it. Even driving is a bit risky.

For me, I was actually in very little pain from the hyster itself. ALL of my pain came from the incision needed to fix my bladder. You really won't feel any pain unless they do a huge incision (which there is no reason to, as they can do it laproscopically or through the vagina). Seriously, if you can ask about it through that way instead of any incision. It really speeds up the healing

And again, I cannot stress enough--do not do anything that you wouldn't do after having a baby--you may not need the full 6 weeks to recover, but at least 3 weeks of nothing but rest (or 2 good, solid weeks) and then light LIGHT work.

I had a bilateral salpino oophrectomy in January 14th and I overdid it at 4 weeks post-op because I was feeling great. Boy, my body knocked me off my feet for 3 days straight. You have to respect your body and the minute you feel great be careful not to over do.

Make it a habit to wear your jammies all day for while. It helps the rest of your family remember that you are recovering. :)

I had a da Vinci hysterectomy in August. I had surgery in the morning, was able to get out of bed later that evening, and I went home the following afternoon. They sent me home with prescription pain meds, but I never needed to use them. The most discomfort I had was shoulder/rib cage pain caused by the gas used during the surgery. My surgeon said that my dh should take a week off from work, which he did, but since I don't have little ones who need to be carried around I probably could've managed. I was able to drive myself to my 2 week post-surg. appointment. I can highly recommend this type of surgery! (http://www.davincisurgery.com)

The website http://www.hystersisters.com has lots of information, but you do have to register to have access to the whole site.

My best wishes to you, and remember to bring plenty of pillows to sit on and hold around you for the ride home to buffer the bumps!

Your recovery really depends on your body and how you feel emotionally about things. Everyone reacts differently. I say that to make you realize that you may or may not experience the same things someone else experiences. Just make sure you LISTEN to your body, and do what it tells you. Rest if it tells you to rest! Do NOT do too much after your surgery. You will pay if you do. Get help if possible. You really do deserve it.

Here is a web site that will answer most of your questions. http://www.hystersisters.com/

I had a da Vinci hysterectomy in August. I had surgery in the morning, was able to get out of bed later that evening, and I went home the following afternoon. They sent me home with prescription pain meds, but I never needed to use them. The most discomfort I had was shoulder/rib cage pain caused by the gas used during the surgery. My surgeon said that my dh should take a week off from work, which he did, but since I don't have little ones who need to be carried around I probably could've managed. I was able to drive myself to my 2 week post-surg. appointment. I can highly recommend this type of surgery! (http://www.davincisurgery.com)

The website http://www.hystersisters.com has lots of information, but you do have to register to have access to the whole site.

My best wishes to you, and remember to bring plenty of pillows to sit on and hold around you for the ride home to buffer the bumps!

remembered the link to Hystersisters - reading this forum really helped me a lot! I think it was you who recommended it to me back in September. Thank you!

...And I second the pillow suggestions. It helps to have something soft on it when you ride home the first time after surgery.

get into a comfortable position so I can sleep. I was 2 days in the hospital and then home. Friends/neighbors came to help with meals, childcare as hubby was only able to take off a few days. Listening to the radio or music helped take my mind off of the pain and of course the pain meds helped too! Rest often and rest much because your body needs this to heal.