Menu

Working on 7th grade...thoughts?

Robin in DFW

I'm beginning to look at 7th grade curriculum items. Here is what I've decided on so far...

--finish Saxon 7/6 and move on to 8/7

--finish Rod & Staff 5 English and move on to 6 (used for grammar & writing instruction)

--Total Language Plus (4 guides) covers literature & comprehension, spelling, vocabulary, grammar application (no instruction), book related writing assignments, projects

--SOTW 4 with chapter summaries, mapwork, tests and add'l reading from reference books

--Science...???

--daily exercise

--guitar lessons

We don't do foriegn language until high school, just our preference.

Any thoughts, ideas???

Thanks for humoring me!

Robin

and have really enjoyed Apologia General Science. I have a 5th grader also, so I read it to both of them so I can stop and explain things to my younger daughter. I also like how the experiments are set up - easy to do at home and embedded within the study to demonstrate what we're reading.

Blessings,

Julie in MO

We're planning to use BJU Life Science next year. We used their science 6 this year and my son has really loved science. It is a great mix of book and hands on science. At some point I'd like to switch to a secular science curriculum, but I think I'll wait until high school, we are enjoying BJU so much right now.

Debbie

we are using Apologia General this year for 7th. I planned on BJU Life Science. We have always used BJU with the Apologia elementary series thrown in. But, I just didnt like the difficulty level, pace, and amount of material required of BJU 7th. It is a huge leap.

Are you planning on logic?

My 7th and 8th graders are both doing Apologia science and it's great. We have not long started our new school year here and my new 7th grader wasn't too keen on starting the Apologia Science (probably scared off by the size of the book) but now she is two weeks into it and doing really well. I'm very happy with it.

We are also doing SOTW 4 with outlines, extra reading/resesarch, narrations, mapping etc - sounds similar to you.

My 7th grader is using LLATL, which sounds somewhat like Total Language Plus, and we will be adding Abeka Grammar and Composition 1 for extra grammar. She also plays two instruments and is involved in a choir, so our program sounds similar to yours and it is working well so far.

Another thing I do which is working really well is have her write two compositions each week incorporating at least 5 of her spelling/vocab words for the week. This has been fantastic and it amazes me how creative they can be. I see things they have read coming out in their compositions, as well as the development of word usage. Just thought I'd add that as something that is successful here.... :)

All the best.

My youngest is a 7th grader this year & is doing 2 Progeny Press guides (it's a MFW recommendation). I think that's enough, personally. He's doing grammar the other half of the time, and there's writing, and we use science words for spelling, and there's general reading and read-alouds... English can get so cumbersome. And analyzing books too often risks taking away from the love of reading. So I like the recommendation of 2 guides this year...

Julie

My son is using Abeka Science 6 this year. He really enjoys it. He reads each section, does the Comprehension Check and if there is a doable experiment we do that, too. He really just likes "reading" science. He likes the experiments, but would not be heartbroken if we didn't do them.

So, I'm debating whether or not to continue with Abeka Science 7 or move in another direction. I guess I have plenty of time to think about it.

Thanks again!

Robin

P.S. Horror of horrors, I know...but, we don't do logic...my kids absolutely despise it and so do I. Sorry.