Menu

Home Ec, anyone?

Dd (12) wants a formal home ec class. She says she doesn't care if I make it or if I buy something. So what do you think? Part of me says come up with it myself but I am worried I will leave out something? What is modern home ec. I took home ec a hundred years ago and I am sure it has changed. So enlighten me what is included.

Thanks for the help

Home ec encompasses several different classes. I'd say first you have to narrow it down to cooking, or sewing, or child development.

Personally, I think cooking is the best place to start because it's such a basic life skill. Plus, it would be easy to go to the library and find children's cooking books and very basic beginner cookbooks.

I'd start out making one type of thing first -- maybe pancakes, then muffins, then cookies so she learns how to measure different types of ingredients, break and separate eggs, etc. Then you could work on a couple of easy-to-make basic entrees and salads. Towards the end of the course you could add in menu planning, calorie counting and fat content (sparkpeople.com would be very helpful for this!).

I know the foods courses at our local high school incorporate a *lot* of technical information now, so it's no longer a cream puff course (pun intended!) but I think that's mostly so the teachers can feel on an equal footing with other teachers. After all, the SAT and ACT don't yet test on calorie contents of different fats, etc. You could include a vocabulary study, though, of cooking terms (and maybe even spelling?) -- saute, rotisserie, bake, roast, broil, cream, etc.

When I took Home Ec it involved one semester of sewing and one semester of cooking. We started with a simple sewing project (book bag) and moved on to sewing a skirt and blouse. The cooking class was even more basic i.e. spaghetti, biscuits, and beerocks. I think you could easily put something together yourself and tailor it to your dd interests.

Home ec could include so many different areas. Cooking/baking, sewing, knitting, child/baby care, gardening, domestic (cleaning/laundry, managing a home), etc. Find out what topics she is most interested in and design your program around those. For my dd11 it would be knitting and cooking. Child care is a natural part of our everyday life as I keep having more babies :D I wouldn't think a formal program is necessary. Our library offers knitting classes. REally, home ec is such a normal part of everyday life.

Pearables has a good set. The younger versions start with 6yo. While that seems very juvenile *I* learned things I did not know. They also have a building a hopechest set. There is also a curriculum out there that is a 7 year curriculum that you could pick and choose from. I can't think of the name right now, but it is geared for older girls. The last thing I can think of is Keeper's of the Faith. It is more of a girl scout type program, but can be done at home without a group setting.

I used the AOP that Toni has available. It was very thorough and hit on subjects that we haven't mentioned in this thread (off the top of my head, there's some basic financial management and there's more I can't think of) I would use it again (but I have no more girls) if I needed a home ec. course.

HTH!

shell

She was an older lady, and she grew up during the time when Home Ec. was serious business...young ladies took classes to learn how to sit, walk, stand, cook, clean, sew, take care of children, make a budget, etc. She was a very strict teacher who expected her girls to be ladies, and the few guys brave enough to take her class to be true gentlemen. I learned so much from this lady, and she had different levels of Home Ec. for different grades.

9th Grade- 1 semester of basic cooking and nutrition, and 1 semester of basic sewing: This included studies on basic nutrition (necessary vitamins, minerals, etc. and what foods contain them), cooking on a budget (included grocery shopping and preparing meals), table setting, table etiquette, proper food preparation, storage, and cleanup, and the basic sewing class included reading patterns, sewing 2 or 3 simple items (apron, napkins, pillows, skorts or simple skirt, boxer shorts for the boys), basic info. about fabric care and choosing the right fabric.

10th Grade- 1 semester of intermediate cooking, and 1 semester of child development. This included things like yeast doughs and more elaborate dinner preparations. The child development course talked about babies and their care from birth through about 10 years of age, and was a prep course for babysitting. We also went through child/baby first aid and cpr training. We did make and care for a 'flour sack baby' for a week, but that really didn't add anything to the class.

11th Grade- 1 semester of intermediate sewing, and 1 semester of home management. In intermediate sewing, we learned how to make dresses, pants, vests, etc. We got more freedom in choosing our projects, and we were expected to wear them to certain functions during the year, so we were sure to do well on them. The home management course was an excellent study about how to take care of the home, cleaning routines, a little gardening and decorating, and how to maintain and safe and sanitary home.

12th Grade- 1 semester of advanced sewing and cooking, and 1 semester of Adult Responsibility. The advanced sewing and cooking class assumed you had mastered enough cooking and sewing skills to not need much supervision, so the teacher simply approved our projects and was available for assistance. We were expected to cook and serve a 4 course dinner (appetizer, entree, salad, dessert), complete with proper table settings (linens, silverware, etc.). We also took tests on nutrition and cleanliness. Advanced sewing included a semester-long sewing project: a fully lined suit for the graduate, which, we were told, every graduating senior would need for interviews, ceremonies, etc. Adult Responsibility included budgeting, check writing and account balancing, job/college interview skills, etiquette, posture, communication skills, etc.

It truly was an excellent series of classes, and all the girls who did all four years had a comparable education to a formal 'finishing school'.