Menu

I love the idea of wearing more skirts, being more feminine....

But now I need some practical advice. The only skirt outfit I've ever worn that I felt looked attractive was a black, long, slim wool skirt that went all the way to my ankles, a black ribbed turtleneck and a red fleece vest. I could wear my tights and winter shoes and feel pretty. BUT that's it! I don't have a clue what else I could wear. I don't know what's wrong with me, I'm having a brain freeze or something.

I don't look good in dresses. I'm fairly thin but have an apple shape, so my hips and waist are larger than average. My legs are thin but now that I'm 35, anything too much above the knee feels inappropriate, unless it's a tennis skort or maybe just above the knee or something. That's an idea for this summer. But I'd love some ideas to carry me through the rest of this winter and early spring. I live in New England so we've got a ways to go yet. I've searched Gap, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft sites for ideas but what's mostly out there is too dressy and too expensive.

But I remember my one day FOUR years ago when I last wore a skirt and felt so happy & feminine. This thread has reminded me of that day and I want to try again!!

for some ideas? Don't get scared off by the prices -- the merchandise goes on sale very frequently. I buy long A-line skirts from Talbots several times a year and wear them with sweaters and tunics. (I'm short-waisted with long legs, so I have to have plenty of below-waist coverage.)

You can buy toasty ladies' tights online at Hanna Andersson or the Vermont Country Store.

I love all the skirts at Coldwater Creek, especially in the Outlet section. Also, there are often coupons and codes for free shipping and % off. http://www.coldwatercreek.com/Outlet/prodList.aspx?provider=productsearch&cmd=czNewPage&path=All+Products%2F%2F%2F%2FUserSearch%3DDept.Channel+ID%3D2%2F%2F%2F%2FApparel%2F%2F%2F%2FSkirts&ProductsPerPage=97

I'm too short to wear ankle lenght skirts, so opt for the slightly above-knee flirty skirt. Maybe a solid tee or summer vest and cute sandals. I usually buy 1-2 fave sandals and plan my summer wardrobe around it :)

Regarding skirts: Target, Ann Taylor Loft, Talbots, or ebay. I'm fond of Versace, but can't afford it firsthand--so ebay it is. Know your body shape and what style enhances it.

Have fun!

Your winter outfit sounds beautiful.

I get the most beautiful skirts at the Goodwill and second hand shops. You can't go wrong. If you wear it a few times and it isn't right you can donate it right back. Spring and summer skirts are easier to come by, but I have found a few nice winter skirts too. Try a bunch on and you will get a feel for what you like best then you can zero in on those styles for the next time. I often find the right top to go with it there at the same time. What a blessing.

I am with you, if it is above my knee I feel funny in it. I love long and flowery skirts with a tank and little sweater or a fitted t-shirt. White and black go with just about everything.

I'd recommend going in to Ann Taylor or Talbots or Coldwater Creek or Brooks Brothers (or any of the above named stores) and ask for help from a salesperson. Try on things you haven't tried on before. I do wear skirts just above the knee, but they're the Marilyn Monroe type - they have lots of fabric, so they don't feel as short. You might be pleasantly surprised!!

The REI skirts are either just above the knee or just below. I only buy black ones, and I use them for active wear--hiking or walking mostly. They have lots of spandex but are not tight; and they are made of a very practical quick drying non-wrinkling material. Those are for field trips and very casual wear as well as hiking.

I like CAbI skirts for business and medium dressy times. They always seem to have a good black or charcoal skirt each season, and over the years I have gotten a couple of those. They are the backbone of my wardrobe. CAbI also has genuinely reversible skirts that are 'floaty' and can be dressed up or down. Just one is enough for a weekend trip. These are very comfortable and don't stick to your legs even if unshaven. Although they call for dry cleaning, I usually wash them in the gentle cycle of the machine and they do alright with that. Hang to dry, though.

Thrift stores are great, though. Anything you buy there has already been washed so you know how it will end up. If you go to one in a ritsy neighborhood, you can find good quality pieces that also very reasonably priced!

I would say, work from what you know you love. Look for long, slim skirts of various types!

I am sort of apple shaped, but lately I've started using a tip from What Not to Wear: don't wear oversized/too big clothes. I hid in my clothes for so long, but now I am surprised how happy I am with how my imperfect self looks in slimmer clothes and light, not bulky, layers.

Mostly I wear dresses but recently I started wearing more skirts as well. I have always felt really nice in a long, slim jean/pants-style skirt, calf-length, with a back slit to the knee, front zipper, front slant pockets, belt loops; I plan to find one in khaki and one in denim for fall through spring wear. I can wear any light- or medium-weight top with it, toss a fleece vest or any weight of cardigan or pullover over that, and wear tights and light shoes OR socks & winter shoes OR go bare-legged with light shoes or sandals.

My favorite, most flattering dresses and skirts are slim and long, or a long look -- below-the-knee length at the shortest. Recently I got an a-line black knit skirt that falls just below the knee, and that's nice... with dark tights. I live in a state known for being windy; false wrap skirts are nice, but real wrap skirts are a nightmare! and in the wind slim skirts & dresses (with a slit or pleat for ease), or in a heavier fabric, are much better than full, lightweight skirts.

In winter we keep our house pretty cool, so I wear tights or leggings and turtleneck with a dress, skirt, or jumper (my favorite jumper is a deep blue, slim, linen, ankle-length jumper with side slits to the calf; a handmedown), and a cardigan or fleece vest, socks, and winter shoes.

I never did like wearing shorts, and it gets really hot and rather humid here. For warm weather I have a variety of sleeveless and short-sleeved cotton, rayon, and linen dresses, skirts, and tops, and they are so much more comfortable than shorts!

This probably belongs in the original thread, but I garden, play on the floor, walk for exercise, and even go camping in dresses and skirts. I don't wear the delicate fabrics, and I do wear appropriate shoes etc. I channel the 1930 English and American housewives and farm women for inspiration :) Also, I have my eye on an outdoor-wear skirt that looks really great for camping and walking, and a shorter, just-above-the-knee skort for summer walking and bicycling.

My main source for all of this has been a good thrift shop in my town. The investment of money is low (I tend to spend 35c to $3 on an item), so if I don't actually like the way something works for me, I donate it right back to them. I plan to buy new the khaki and denim skirts from someplace like Eddie Bauer and the two specialty skirts for outdoor use.

I have been buying dresses and other items from Hanna Andersson. The sales are great and the fabrics are wonderful.

It is hot here in NC and I find dresses or skirts to be more comfortable on a July or August day. I also prefer to wear a dress when I am a tourist, particularly in a city where women in shorts, t shirts and sneakers will stand out.

I have several long floral skirts that always receive compliments. These would be a relatively easy sewing project.

Jane

Thank you for mentioning REI skirts. They look great for hiking!!

K

And, frankly, I'm older and heavier than most hikers. I like the 'give' of the stretchy material, and the 'not giving up' as well! And, also, size wise they are a little forgiving of variations in size and don't grab your stomach like shorts do. They are durable--I think that I will use mine for years to come.