Menu

I finished the Study Skills class proposal

and as a BIG thank you to all you kind ladies who helped with the Study Skills ideas, I thought I'd post the proposal; it's sort of a mission statement, scope, and preliminary topic list, which, if approved, will turn into a sequence by May.

Here it is, with big kuddos to all who shared:

Scope

The purposes of this class are:

1) to help students grow in academic independence and take greater initiative for their own learning, by equipping them with a variety of practical academic skills.

2) to teach them specific skills for studying, organizing, researching, and accessing resources available to them.

3) to create awareness that there are many ways to approach studies, and to instill in them a problem-solving mentality to help them overcome challenges they’ll face.

4) to challenge them to envision great things for themselves and learn habits for effectiveness that will help them be all that God created them to be.

Methods

This class will have a moderate amount of its own homework, mostly reading, directed journaling, and small assignments to allow students to apply and practice skills they have recently learned. The majority of the work for this class will be applying what they’ve learned to their other schoolwork, then reporting back to the class on the success or struggles that they are having. There may be periodic, small oral reports on assigned topics, giving students opportunities to research, synthesize and teach material to the class.

I’d really like to have “guest speakers” frequently, adults and college students who will share their own tips, tricks and lessons learned with students.

Required Books

• Do Hard Things ($14)
  • 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens, text and workbook ($ 15 - 20 for both)
  • A simple assignment planner of each family’s own choosing and a composition book or journal
  • There is a slim chance we’ll use a study skills book. We may do this with selected readings from books I own.

Possible Topics (we’ll try to arrange these to maximize their benefit to students through out the co-op school year)

• Reading different kinds of material
  • Using the formatting of a textbook to help you learn
  • Skimming
  • Outlining
  • Note-taking : Carnegie system, key concepts, 3-word
  • Note-taking on lectures: discerning what’s important, what’s not
  • How to summarize
  • How to précis
  • Grappling with relationships in material (outlines, notecards, webs, diagramming)
  • Different ways to organize material (outlines, notecards, graphic organizers, lists, sticky note folders, etc.)
  • Understanding how professors think and working to meet their requirements
  • Understanding a syllabus
  • Assignment books: not just another item to lose
  • Eating an elephant a bite at a time, or how tackle large projects
  • Organizing your study materials
  • Filing and recording your graded papers
  • Memorization strategies and timing: flashcards, walking about, writing something over and over, saying it aloud, writing questions, mnemonics, review rotation, etc.
  • How to use the library for research
  • How to tell a reliable internet source from an unreliable one
  • Documenting as you research: sticky notes, index cards, and bookmarking
  • Plagiarism, and how not to plagiarize: rewriting from notes vs. restating
  • Quoting and referencing (we may get into basic MLA style)
  • Different ways of referencing (footnotes, endnotes, others)
  • Basic word processing "tricks": pagination, headers, versions, saving and naming
  • Short answers: "complete sentences" and restating the question within the answer
  • Speed outlining essay questions on exams
  • SAT/ACT essay strategies
  • Showing your work step by step
  • Drawing labeled sketches when solving math and science problems
  • Factor labeling, or letting units guide you in solving the problem
  • Properly labeling axes on graphs, charts
  • Referencing figures within reports
  • Using the solutions manual to solve your problem sets (otherwise known as “how to shoot yourself in the foot”)
  • Active reading, i.e. reading with a pencil and workbook in hand
  • Using reference materials
  • How to get help: study groups, tutoring, library resources, resource labs
  • How to balance different subjects and figure out when you need to skimp on one in order to work heavily on another
  • Self-quizzing
  • Outlining as review; cram guides and study sheets
  • Studying for essay exams
  • Studying for semester exams
  • Taking class exams: strategies

________

So, did you see your suggestion in there? I'll bet it was there! Thanks, also, to those who offered up their perspectives and experience to help me understand what they've learned!

Sending you each a virtual bouquet!

Valerie

Edited by Valerie(TX)
ETA: I cleaned it up, eliminated dup lines, and added a few details

I wish you were close by to walk me through some of this! Also, I don't know if it is too late, but I have one other idea...My ds took a study skills class in his cs in 8th grade. One invaluable thing they learned was what their learning style was - and how to apply that to studying. Thanks again, Kathy

I thought I'd post the proposal

I edited the proposal (several duplicate lines that I didn't see late last night!) and some additional detail, including one of the poster's suggestions re. making an assignment book part of the requirements of the course.

If anyone is keeping a copy of this for their own use, I replaced the original with the imrpoved version in the original post.

Again, thanks to all for the wonderful input!

These are already under headings on your list so you might already have thought of them, but just in case, since these are important and I've seen people botch them over and over...

Many adults don't understand how to save files in folders, and how to put folders under folders. If you are lucky, the untechsavy ones know how to use folders like drawers. Most of them don't understand the concept of a tree. It is probably worth spending 5 minutes explaining this concept of tree-style file/information organization when you do word processing, and when you do outlining, point out that it is the same thing. In fact, this is one way to turn an outline into a graphic organizer or visversa (sp?). For storing files, draw an upside down tree, and show them how the trunk is their desktop. The trunk branches into things like My Computer and the other things shown on their desktop, and those branch into other things, etc. For example, My Computer branches into C drive, etc. You can also do a very quick outline on lions or something, drawing the outline both in tree form and in regular outline form. And you can help your students form a strategy for storing their files on a computer. For example, they can have a main folder named with their name with a shortcut on their desktop (so they can backup or switch computers easily), then they can have a school folder and a fun folder under that, and in school have a folder for each class, and in each class, they can have the papers they have written or whatever. They can have shortcuts to any file or folder on their desktop, but they should have their files organized in a nice tree structure so they can move things around and copy things easily. Show them how to transfer files from computer to computer by attatching them to an email, or using a thumb drive, too. This has been important information for my son at CC. Also show them how to attatch something big, like their keys or a long ribbon or shoelace to the tiny thumb drive so they don't lose it. All this took forever to write out, but you can explain it much more quickly with a picture, especially if you write the picture out before you actually talk to the students. The concept can be absorbed almost at a glance. Most students already know this, probably, but we found it was part of learning to go to CC.

And I hope by "using solutions guide" that you mean to show students how to solve one problem, check their answer in the back of the book, try to solve it again if wrong, check again, and if still wrong look at the solutions guide, then solve it again not looking, if still wrong copy it a few times from the solution guide, then try it again not looking, and then and ONLY THEN move on to the next problem? And after a few problems, if they still are getting them wrong, rereading the lesson and trying again. And if they still don't understand and are getting them wrong, even after copying out the example problems and following them step by step, going for help. Until my children learned to do this, they learned math at a snail's pace. They wasted massive amounts of time doing a whole problem set wrong, getting their wrong ideas firmly stuck in their heads, and correcting it the next day only to find they had to redo the whole lesson. This is probably what you meant, but it was so very, very important for my children to learn this that I just thought I'd check...

What a fantastic list! I'm sure half the high school board is going to copy it and use it GRIN. I know I am. Thank you so much for pulling it all together. I love how you included timing in the memorizing part. Finding a timing that worked for us was so key to learning how to memorize without it being too painful and too inefficient.

Thanks again,

Nan

Many adults don't understand how to save files in folders, and how to put folders under folders.

See, this is why they pay you the big bucks! (JK!!!) This is one of those things that I wouldn't have thought of to teach someone. Dh is a former IT guy (he built Ryder's first three corporate databases, back in the days when one guy with a really powerful language could do something like that single-handedly), and ds is pretty tech saavy, too. I guess I've picked it up by osmosis. Ds has found out that you are pretty much sunk in college if you don't know how to do a lot of the collaborative computer-based junk, because your project looks hokey compared to everyone else's.

And I hope by "using solutions guide" that you mean...

No, what I meant was having a kid use the solutions guide without first really grappling with something--using it at the first whim instead of thinking. One of my dc had to repeat several chapters of a subject because of using the solutions guide as a crutch. (I know mileage varies, your guys are much more creative thinkers than mine, so for mine--the linear thinker--it really was a case of "abusing" the solutions guide.) I did like your "procedure" for properly using a solutions guide.

What a fantastic list! I'm sure half the high school board is going to copy it and use it GRIN. I know I am. Thank you so much for pulling it all together.

That's why I posted it. I am much indebted to everyone for their input! It's nice to have something to contribute for once! ;)

I love how you included timing in the memorizing part. Finding a timing that worked for us was so key to learning how to memorize without it being too painful and too inefficient.

Ds2 and I are learning that now after a memorization fiasco last semester on the co-op history class semester final. My others memorize easily...this one, not so much. I may end up teaching the history class next year, and I guar-on-tee it will not be so stinkin' detail-oriented. (Trees or forest? forest or trees? I pick forest!!!!) But meanwhile, he's learning coping skills, and your posts on memorization and timing have helped tremendously.

If you think of anything else, please LMK. I value your input!

Edited by Valerie(TX)

I have to admit that I keep half an eye on the solutions manual (not the answers in the back of the book), just to keep temptation to a minumum. I don't really worry too much because my children sort of have their own style of solving problems, and if they began to rely too heavily on the solution's guide, I would be able to spot it very quickly. ALL the steps would be nicely written out HEAVY SIGH.

I know. We take trees so for granted (except those history forest ones, which are impossible for us bears of little brain). We've had a few unpleasant shocks when we've had to deal with untechsavy church volunteers. Or even landlords!

-Nan

• 2 weeks later...
May I ask you exactly what type of homework you will be expecting out of your students? Are you willing to give me several examples????

Holly, this is going to be a very interactive class, if it comes together. (My experience with this co-op is that one never knows until mid-August whether the class will "make" or not. With the current economic concerns, I wouldn't be surprised if there were very little interest since it will be an elective, not a "core requirement," although the skills are certainly essential....)

I'll need to consult with the parents and see if I can get a read on what their students are doing, to know whether I'll have them work with the homework from their other classes or whether we'll assign homework from material for this class. For example, I could have students outline from their science or history texts, or I could provide them with essays or articles to outline.

Also the research papers... Do you select the topics or do you allow them to select the topics?

Again, I'd need to consult with the parents on this, and quite possibly with the other co-op teachers. If a student has a lit or history class, and we can help them work through the term paper process for assignments in those classes, that would be my preference. I think we'll need to practice the skills on several pieces of writing, so I'm betting we'll start by picking or assigning things that have nothing to do with other classes, then working on a large term paper that would tie in with another class.

My overall desire is to keep as much of the work within the bounds of their existing homework as possible.

Holly

HTH

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a great list and putting a co-op class together to just focus on skills is a neat idea. I've been thinking of ways to incorporate learning these skills within our co-op classes ... but then it is hit and miss.... you got me thinking...

Have you seen The Teaching Company's How to Become a SuperStar Student DVDs? We have the older one. I've shown it to our high school kids and plan to show it to the Jr HS soon. I know there is a newer one out but I'm sticking to this one as the reviews claim it is better. --Anyway they cover many of the same study skills. Just thought I'd mention it 'cause maybe you could use it as a supplement.

Good luck with this class ... it sounds great!