Menu

How do I change my computer's boot-up/log-in procedure?

Long story short -- this past weekend, I was trying to figure out how to change some password settings on my computer. I used to share my computer with my dc, and I had it set so that in order to log on, the user had to type in a password. On start-up, a window would pop up; there were two blanks: one displayed the user name "ereks mom" and the one below it was for the password. Type in the password, click okay, and voilà !

Now the dc have their own computers, so I tried to eliminate the need for a password on mine, and have the computer just go straight to my desktop on start up. Dh & I fiddled with it, and...

Now, when my computer boots up, I get two little windows: the one that used to say "ereks mom" now says "Administrator" instead and the other (on top of the password one) says "The system could not log you on... incorrect password..." etc. I have to x out the "incorrect password" window and change "Administrator" to "ereks mom", leave password blank, and click "ok" to get my computer to log on. That's even worse than before!

How do I get my computer to just boot up & log on without having to do anything except turn it on??

Edited by ereks mom

I'm not a computer person and this advice might be worthless, but try going to your settings/control panel and click on users settings and delete any users you no longer want on your computer. I don't think you can get rid of punching in a password. You need this in case you have more than one user using the computer with their own personal desktops. We have one computer shared by 6 people. Everyone has their own log in names, passwords, and their own desktops.

Blessings

Zoraida

You should be able to go to Start -> Control Panel -> User accounts -> your account and just wipe the password.

Also under User Accounts, if you go to the "Change the way users log on..." task, you can select "use the welcome screen" and that should override the login windows that are popping up.