Menu

Parenting in the Pew & other books like it...

Has anyone read this? I'm just curious what you all thought? I read it, it's already what we were doing, so it was nothing new to me. I'm just curious what those that have a different approach thought. Also, has anyone read: Including Children in Worship: A Planning Guide for Congregations I'm mainly reading these books to see if others would benefit from them. Or any other books like them?

Thanks,

Kristine

I just could NOT get these ideas to work with my young son. At the time, I didn't know that my son had Asperger syndrome.

This book and many other parenting books really made me feel like a failure as a parent, when in reality my son was just "different" and "normal" methods of training a child just didn't work with him.

I hate that books like this one and other parenting books don't make a disclaimer reminding YOUNG, NEW parents that there is NO "one size fit all" way of training a child.

I would never recommend that book because of my negative experience.

I read Parenting in the Pew and had similar thoughts to yours. I was hoping for some more concrete "how-tos" as opposed to theory. I have not heard of the second book. I'll have to check that one out. Edith Schaeffer, in her Hidden Art of Homemaking book, suggests drawing the sermon for smaller children to help them follow along or having older children draw pictures to help them remember what is being taught. I found that advice very helpful. Also, the editress (sp?) of Above Rubies magazine just sent out a request for advice on teaching children how to worship or keeping smaller children occupied during church service. These suggestions will be included in a future issue (probably late spring/ early summer). Not sure if that would be too late for your use, though.

I just could NOT get these ideas to work with my young son. At the time, I didn't know that my son had Asperger syndrome.

This book and many other parenting books really made me feel like a failure as a parent, when in reality my son was just "different" and "normal" methods of training a child just didn't work with him.

Failure-Schmailure......what a bunch of nonsense! Y'all, her boys are sweet and she is an awesome mom! And one of my favorite people to go to when dealing with kid behavior that is a bit off the beaten path!!!

I found it to be helpful, although like you, it was what we were doing already.

I suppose it depends on one's reason for keeping their dc in church with them. I've never been fond of church nurseries for myself. I didn't like the idea of leaving my child with a stranger, even in church. I also thought that one hour a week was not too long for my young child to learn to sit quietly, and learn from the Bible.

It's been a long time since I read the book, but I don't remember it being extremely "this is the only way to do it".

Just as an aside because this is not the point of the book, but as long as my baby was not being distracting (I would take him out at the first hint of noise), I selfishly enjoyed having my babies in church with me. It was the one time during the week where I could just sit and hold my baby, without other demands on my time. When we hit toddlerhoood, however, then the real training began, lol.

I loved the philosophy, and I thought she gave some pretty specific ideas to make it happen. Her ideas are from within her own faith tradition, though--for example, she makes reference to the "liturgy" several times. However, I thought the basic ideas were and are easily transferable to any worship setting. I re-read this book occasionally and recommend it enthusiastically to friends.

I've never read either one of them, though plan to check them out at our library. I feel the same as Diana in that I do not like leaving my children with strangers in a nursery. We do and have always kept all our children in church with us. I'll let ya know what I think of the books. :)

Cheers!

At our church they expected us to put our kids in Sunday school from age 2 (a toddler class). I dutifully tried but my dd was just not ready. She just needed her mommy. Boy, you would have thought I was a major heretic from the reaction I got when I (graciously) took her out of the class. There was an "it takes a village" mentality there that really took me by surprise. And yes, we're still at that church -my dh is interim pastor there. And I have rhino skin so I weathered the criticism (both spoken and unspoken) ok. Now my dc (6 and 10) are in Sunday school for one hour (and benefit from it I think) but are with us in the pews for the actual church service and the Sun. evening service.