Menu

Any Bible Curriculum suggestions for 9yo?

apCrazy4Jesus

Precepts is pretty good. I like the way it requires the kid to dig into the Bible directly, though the commentary is a bit wordy at times. We used it with good result for a year. If you want a chronological study you could consider starting with their Genesis studies.

A word of warning--I found the one on Bible study skills to be totally different from the rest of the series, and much more difficult. I have taught many Bible study skills seminars to folks of all ages. While I think a 9yo can definitely learn the skills presented in the book, I found the book's presentation of those skills to be unnecessarily wordy, confusing, and overly complicated. If you choose to do that one, take it slow, and be super-involved as the parent/teacher. You might also consider taking an extra week for each chapter to practice that skill on another Bible passage of your choosing.

We did very well with the other books in the series, though, and I recommend them without hesitation.

Having said, that, though, my number one recommendation would be the Explorer's curriculum. It requires the kids to answer questions directly from the Bible and has a good, solid, inductive process. It's also laid out into five days of homework per week. It's excellent.

http://www.explorerbiblestudy.org/

A word of warning--I found the one on Bible study skills to be totally different from the rest of the series, and much more difficult. I have taught many Bible study skills seminars to folks of all ages. While I think a 9yo can definitely learn the skills presented in the book, I found the book's presentation of those skills to be unnecessarily wordy, confusing, and overly complicated. If you choose to do that one, take it slow, and be super-involved as the parent/teacher. You might also consider taking an extra week for each chapter to practice that skill on another Bible passage of your choosing.

We did very well with the other books in the series, though, and I recommend them without hesitation.

Having said, that, though, my number one recommendation would be the Explorer's curriculum. It requires the kids to answer questions directly from the Bible and has a good, solid, inductive process. It's also laid out into five days of homework per week. It's excellent.

http://www.explorerbiblestudy.org/

Strider, I am grateful that you made this recommendation because I have the Bible study skills one and it has taken us two years now to finish it. It is too word and confusing. It was too much. I started it with my then 8 and 10 year olds. I will finish it this summer with my 9 and 11 year old. I will try the Explorer's curriculum instead too. I was stay away from the Kay Arthur series after doing the Bible study skills, but now that you say the Explorer's curriculum is better. I might give that a second look.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

is correct, but plz don't let that sway you away from the other books in the series. I started a thread about the Kay Arthur for kids series not too long ago, and rec'd good responses, if you want to look for that thread. Dd9 is doing Wrong Way, Jonah and loves it more than any other study we've done. It really has them digging into the actual Bible to answer the questions. I will definitely be buying more of these studies!

I don't think the Kay Arthur books go through all the books of the Bible though, so if you want that, you'll need something different (like Explorer's.)

is correct, but plz don't let that sway you away from the other books in the series. I started a thread about the Kay Arthur for kids series not too long ago, and rec'd good responses, if you want to look for that thread. Dd9 is doing Wrong Way, Jonah and loves it more than any other study we've done. It really has them digging into the actual Bible to answer the questions. I will definitely be buying more of these studies!

I don't think the Kay Arthur books go through all the books of the Bible though, so if you want that, you'll need something different (like Explorer's.)

Yes--I will just reiterate that we did well with the others in the series. The others are totally different, and much better, IMHO. While Explorer's is my personal favorite, I do also recommend the Kay Arthur books for kids wholeheartedly.