Menu

Midwest Conference (Cincinnati) posted the speaker/topic list today!

I heard Richard Little Bear Wheeler. He was very entertaining, but I only went because there weren't any other workshops I needed at the time slot. That sounds bad, but because he was pure entertainment, I wanted to get to the classes for my education first and fun second. I have heard great things about Jim Weiss, but I have not heard him in person.

Oh and I'll be there. I went on a whim the first year (as a new and confused homeschooler!) and had such a fantastic time that I plan way in advance to go again!:001_smile: It's so refreshing to learn new things and hang out with hundreds of other homeschoolers.

Yes, I'm going and can't wait!! I am so excited about the topics and speakers but bummed because I know there is no way that I will get to hear everything I want. Jim Weiss's storytelling one is good -- can't remember what the exact title is right now. I also think I heard Amanda Bennet's talk on gifts and talents. If that's the one I went to, it was also good.

I'll be there working, but I plan to get away for a few speakers.

Here are my very opinionated views:

Carol Barnier is fantastic (If I'm Diapering the Watermelon, Where'd I Leave the Baby?) I heard her in Lansing a few years ago, and I literally laughed and cried all in one hour.

I spent most of last year's convention listening to Dr. Pennington. He was the surprise hit of the convention, packing rooms with more attendees than the keynotes during several hours.

Dr. Perrin is good for an overview of Latin or classical.

Cindy Wiggers is really, really good!! I appreciate that she doesn't just sell her program; she actually has useful information for anyone on geography and teachig in general.

Steve Clark is another speaker who doesn't just sell his program, either, but gives good information on math. I have learned a lot about understanding math from him.

On my "NO" list:

Jim Weiss (just not a fan)

Amanda Bennett, Dr Mary Hood (not my cup of tea)

Mark Hanby (tried to listen to him last year *shudder*)

David Hazell (too negative, too pompous, sells own program with scare tactics)

Laughing so hard, because several of your "nos" have already been crossed off my list for the same reasons!

I went to one of Dr. Pennington's sessions (I think his first in the very full, very warm room with my 8 month old) and it was wonderful, I hated to go outside, but had to 'cause of Bekah! Oh, and Dr. Perrin's pamphlet on Classical Ed has been so helpful to me as I plan out and combine WTM with W&E.

Overall, I'm happy as there seem to be fewer on my hilighted list this year ('cause I hit them last year and either don't want to hear them or need to hear them again) I'm hoping that I'll have more "free periods" to shop because I have a list of curriculum to review for next year (unlike last year when I didn't have much to shop for and could just listen to talks)