Menu

Help me get organized

Somehow over the last few years I have lost my oragnizing ability and my house has slowly gone from messy to complete chaos. :glare:

My biggest area of concern as far as organzing is my little boy's room. Right now thier toys are tossed into 2 big rubbermaid tubs on the bottom of their closet. In order to play, they dump eveything out. So every time I walk in there alll I can see are toys. I am going to downsize the amount of toys, but we will still need a better storage solution. I was thinking of those white plastic things with the clear drawers? But I keep imagining them taking out the drawers and dumping the toys LOL. Would assorted size tubs and lids be better? use the 3 shelf storage bins and work on the dumping? Toss ALL the toys and just kick the kids outside to play? :lol:

The school supplies are a mess too. We lost two bookshelves recently( don't ask lol) and now everything is pliled all over. I am going to replace one of the shelves, but I'd like to do something different for the kid's daily books like their math, spelling etc. Right now they are using milk crates which I don't like. I was thinking of either storing the books on the shelves, which we have done in the past, or buying some of those white three draw things I mentioned above. This way each kid could have their own drawer to gently and lovingly place their supplies. HA! Anyhoo, do you think this would work? Any other ideas?

Next is my cleaning schedule or should I say lack of schedule. I used to once upon a time clean a room, top to bottom, a day so that by friday the whole house was clean and ready for the weekend. Now, with our schedule being nuts, we just don't clean. :tongue_smilie: Help me with a new routine! Do you clean in the morning before school? Set aside time after school? One big cleaning day? Many smaller days? Something different?

Another area that needs work is day to day school, but I think that is a whole nother post. :blushing:

Thanks!

Quiver,

You have your hands full and as I recall you are recovering from the loss of a baby. Hormones are not back to normal yet I am sure. So please give yourself a break! Maybe you need to just take this week and get organized and get the house under control and start school up next week.

I really have not thoughts on toys except to make less toys available to them.

Cleaning. I scheduled our school weeks so that Friday was a half school day at most. Things that needed to be done almost daily, as in Math for the older kids, and maybe reading for the littles..we did on Friday. If something needed to be caught up on, they did that too. But the rest of the day was cleaning.

Daily cleaning. I don't know how old your kids are, but surely some of them must be old enough to be assigned some daily jobs.

I had two sets of chores and they rotated weekly, but it was on the calendar and I only had two boys I was working with at that point in time. Our daughter was older and had a set list of chores. I found some cleaning check lists that I printed out and had in the bathroom so the bathroom cleaner could go down the list and check it off and SIGN their initials..just in case something needed reviewing with Mom.

I would try to build in some chore time before school begins, again at lunch time and definately around dinner time. Not that everyone needs to stop and clean, but that each one has some time in their day to get their chores done.

:grouphug:

For the toys, maybe you could get some stackable rubbermaid bins that are smaller (like maybe 1/4 or 1/6 the size of the large ones you are using) and have a rule that only one can be out at a time?

For books, what about those closet-type cube organizers? You could use one cube as a shelf for books and put another cube on top of it with two drawers for supplies. Here's a link.

As for cleaning, I like to clean at the end of the day when the kids are done playing and eating and things won't be wrecked again within 30 minutes. :D Dh usually gets the girls ready for bed after dinner and I spend an hour cleaning up dinner, sweeping, tidying, wiping down counters, etc. I've found this is the best time for me and it's so much easier for me to relax in the evening knowing that there's not a pile of dishes in the sink or a mound of crumbs under the table.

:grouphug: I hope things get better soon.

Well, I am in no position to offer advice (living in chaos here:D), but....

I did try www.motivatedmoms.com. IMO, they are better than flylady, easier to implement. IF you actually do it. (not yet-here's hoping)

We have done the plastic drawers on wheels, and they are okay, but everything gets thrown in there too. Still, better than the lg bins or toy boxes.

Good luck, I'm pulling for you!!!

Somehow over the last few years I have lost my oragnizing ability and my house has slowly gone from messy to complete chaos. :glare:

I never had it to lose :ROFL:

My biggest area of concern as far as organzing is my little boy's room. Right now thier toys are tossed into 2 big rubbermaid tubs on the bottom of their closet. In order to play, they dump eveything out. So every time I walk in there alll I can see are toys. I am going to downsize the amount of toys, but we will still need a better storage solution. I was thinking of those white plastic things with the clear drawers? But I keep imagining them taking out the drawers and dumping the toys LOL. Would assorted size tubs and lids be better? use the 3 shelf storage bins and work on the dumping? Toss ALL the toys and just kick the kids outside to play? :lol:

My kids have 2 closets in each of their rooms. the youngest 2 share a room.... i have an 8ft closet full of bins on shelves. I spent the weekend going thru the stupid things. I had all those bins full of UNSEPARATED TOYS and SOCKS :glare: I was TICKED when i found what they had done to "clean up". When i totally finish - they will be labeled with pictures. Just like i did with their clothes drawers last night.

The school supplies are a mess too. We lost two bookshelves recently( don't ask lol) and now everything is pliled all over. I am going to replace one of the shelves, but I'd like to do something different for the kid's daily books like their math, spelling etc. Right now they are using milk crates which I don't like. I was thinking of either storing the books on the shelves, which we have done in the past, or buying some of those white three draw things I mentioned above. This way each kid could have their own drawer to gently and lovingly place their supplies. HA! Anyhoo, do you think this would work? Any other ideas?

:lol: Crack. me. up.

I love you Quiver! :tongue_smilie:

I really wish i had the Ikea carts they don't make anymore. Would have been perfect for school stuff. I think the 3 drawers had potential - what about having a file drawer on the bottom? But something with a shelf and a drawer or 2 would be perfect.... like the ikea carts....

My lovely friend V has a picture of them on her blog

Next is my cleaning schedule or should I say lack of schedule. I used to once upon a time clean a room, top to bottom, a day so that by friday the whole house was clean and ready for the weekend. Now, with our schedule being nuts, we just don't clean. :tongue_smilie: Help me with a new routine! Do you clean in the morning before school? Set aside time after school? One big cleaning day? Many smaller days? Something different?

I'm going to attempt to start Motivated Mom's again. I need th whole family on board - and that will be easier once i have the one i can't bash out of the house.

Another area that needs work is day to day school, but I think that is a whole nother post. :blushing:

Thanks!

I'm actually doing good here right now - it's taking all day and nothing ELSE is getting done... but hey, school is done!LOL!!

You aren't alone.....

Well, I am in no position to offer advice (living in chaos here:D), but....

I did try www.motivatedmoms.com. IMO, they are better than flylady, easier to implement. IF you actually do it. (not yet-here's hoping)

We have done the plastic drawers on wheels, and they are okay, but everything gets thrown in there too. Still, better than the lg bins or toy boxes.

Good luck, I'm pulling for you!!!

I've heard a lot about Motivated Moms from this forum - I just went on their site for the first time, but it doesn't look like it is free like Flylady - is that correct?

We use the three drawer plastic bins like the ones you described only we use the primary colored ones. It's easier to say, "Put in the yellow one if the kids are young enough to need help. Plus, if there are friends over they can easily help clean up because my kids can tell them which one it goes in easily." This system has worked really well for sets of smaller toys (ie. lego, Barbie, My Little Pony, Polly Pocket, Hot Wheels, etc). Large toys (ie. doll houses, large ships) go on a shelf that we have for them.

With some things the kids have, we had to divide it into a couple of drawers. Like having Barbies in one drawer, outfits in another drawer, and furniture in a third drawer. I've also labeled each drawer.

It really does make clean up easier. Occasionally, I need to help them dump all of the drawers and reorganize from scratch as things eventually wind up in the wrong drawers. But that only happens once or twice a year.

On a side note, I also use a drawer set for their bedside table. Each kid has a small lamp on top. The drawers hold underwear, socks, and tights.

ETA: Here's a link to a photo of our drawers and our stuffed animal and large toy storage.

I really wish i had the Ikea carts they don't make anymore. Would have been perfect for school stuff. I think the 3 drawers had potential - what about having a file drawer on the bottom? But something with a shelf and a drawer or 2 would be perfect.... like the ikea carts....

My lovely friend V has a picture of them on her blog.

I love that desk! Those carts look neat too. I wonder how many I'd need Hmmmm

We use the three drawer plastic bins like the ones you described only we use the primary colored ones. It's easier to say, "Put in the yellow one if the kids are young enough to need help. Plus, if there are friends over they can easily help clean up because my kids can tell them which one it goes in easily." This system has worked really well for sets of smaller toys (ie. lego, Barbie, My Little Pony, Polly Pocket, Hot Wheels, etc). Large toys (ie. doll houses, large ships) go on a shelf that we have for them.

With some things the kids have, we had to divide it into a couple of drawers. Like having Barbies in one drawer, outfits in another drawer, and furniture in a third drawer. I've also labeled each drawer.

It really does make clean up easier. Occasionally, I need to help them dump all of the drawers and reorganize from scratch as things eventually wind up in the wrong drawers. But that only happens once or twice a year.

On a side note, I also use a drawer set for their bedside table. Each kid has a small lamp on top. The drawers hold underwear, socks, and tights.

ETA: Here's a link to a photo of our drawers and our stuffed animal and large toy storage.

Those are really cute! That is what I had in mind and I'd be thrilled if the area looked that nice when I was done!

:grouphug:

For the toys, maybe you could get some stackable rubbermaid bins that are smaller (like maybe 1/4 or 1/6 the size of the large ones you are using) and have a rule that only one can be out at a time?

For books, what about those closet-type cube organizers? You could use one cube as a shelf for books and put another cube on top of it with two drawers for supplies. Here's a link.

These are nice too. I will have to get to target and WM next week and see what they have. I can't wait to get the room done now!

Those are really cute! That is what I had in mind and I'd be thrilled if the area looked that nice when I was done!

Of course, that's what it looks like right after I've helped them go through a declutter and resort. But it never gets too terribly bad since we went to that system.

Oh, and they never remove an entire drawer and dump it.

I'd suggest smaller containers, at least for the easily grouped things (Legos, Hot Wheels, action figures). Clear is always best for us. This way, if something gets dumped, there's less to dump.

You might want to consider clear underbed boxes for the "kitchen sink" toys. They just roll out, get filled, and get rolled back underneath the bed. Confines the purge-ables a little more, too.

We also have a "one toy at a time" rule here. Whatever the kids play with, even if they pull out the dinosaurs and the Hot Wheels or Power Rangers at the same time ("Look, Mom! The Hot Wheels are escaping past the T-Rex!"), the whole project must be put away before the board game or other item comes out.

We're doing a new chore schedule, too. It's taken us a loooonnnnng time to get there, but I finally feel like things are working for us. We've taken into account the days we're not home much. The kids each have a list of things to do at different times of the day, and when school and those chores are done, they have free time. This keeps me from constantly coming up with extra work for them to do, and minimizes how much we have to do on the weekends. We got sick of spending the better part of our Saturdays just cleaning. No time for dh to tackle any projects.

I can e-mail you the schedule if you want ideas. Just PM me.

A thirty minute clean up every afternoon does WONDERs. At 3pm we all start at one end of the house. Example: we all pick up the playroom, Brian vacuums, Jonathan takes my Flylady duster and gives a quick dusting, Megan sweeps the hall. The boys straighten the study and Brian vacuums it. Megan wipes down the half bath. If we have been bad and the kitchen is a mess (I'm trying to get us to clean it after each meal), then Brian loads the dishwasher, Jonathan wipes tables and counters and Megan sweeps. We then go to the living room and straighten, dust and vacuum like we did the playroom. Now I am not talking a deep clean. We don't move furniture to vaccum, but at least the heavily traveled places get somewhat clean. That takes us about 30 minutes with all three of us working. They are supposed to start the day with their room clean and I generally make them wipe down/straighten their bathroom before they can go out to play. My boys are 12 and 10 and Megan is 7.

Another thing that has helped me is to start handing over the cooking. For several summers, I would have the boys look through my Taste of Home magazines and cookbooks and they would cook something every week. My oldest is a good cook and now has some really good meals he cooks: Seafood Bisque, Cheesburger Soup, etc. I did this in the summer when schedules were lighter. This year, Tuesday night is their night to cook. One cooks one week. The other one cooks the next week. My oldest can pretty much cook anything. He does take forever to cut up veggies. My middle one sticks to easy things like soft tacos, spaghetti, etc. When one cooks, the other one helps him clean up. My dh normally grills or makes a huge amount of something on Saturday, so this helps me out a lot. It looks like you have a 10th and 12th grader so this is something they could certainly do.

My children also do their own laundry. Now their rooms are still a place where I struggle and what drives hubby batty, but I figure that if the general family areas are straight, then I am doing pretty well.

Christine

Ohhhh, you are the one that had the stuffed animal storage i'll copy someday!!!! Thanks for sharing that, and i'll thank you now for the idea since i'll probably forget when the time comes :D

I have one of these.... right now the bins are on the shelves, and the "rack" is at the end of the hall doing nothing.

My dumping kids STILL feel the need to dump them. ALthough, DD2 did pick up very well when it was just her in the room - and big sis didn't like playing with her stuff. She does well when everything has a place... it when chaos creeps up she gets bad.

I love that desk! Those carts look neat too. I wonder how many I'd need Hmmmm

She had the desk made for her, its perfect for her space!

I wanted 4 of the Sonne carts, i was waiting for our IKEA to open, and it did open - to a new catalog and they were discontinued :( They don't have anything nearly as nice. But watch for them used i guess.... sigh.... they were perfect. Maybe i should go to Australia and cart-nap hers??? :tongue_smilie:

Back to the toy storage. I have a mix of clear and colored, big and small. The only thing allowed in BIG containers here are barbies, legos (the duplo and thomas train stuff) and wooden Thomas. Everything else gets sorted into smaller bins. "Plastic Animals" or "Princesses".... ugh, i'm feeling guilty at the moment. I need to finish this project this week to attack the rest of the rooms.

Jean,

How about storing the kids' books for daily use on the back of their chairs, in something like these?

These pockets free up so much space. Even if just some of the kids were able to use them, it would take care of a lot of the storage.

I went thru our homeschool room and play area about 3 or 4 years ago and got rid of most of the plastic. Having sturdy baskets and wooden shelves just adds a lot of warmth, and is very friendly. I only have one to homeschool, tho! In my preschool classroom, I still try to keep containers as natural as possible. Ikea is your friend in that regard. Not to condemn plastic--I still use it some, but I wanted, as I said, a warmer, more natural feel to things, so finding canvas/fabric containers, baskets, pressboard, and wood was so satisfying. ymmv!

As far as containers for toys, you could do the 10 toy rule. Only 10 toys stored in the room. Use big pockets (shoe organizer comes to mind) for legos and small toys (these count as a group towards the 10! lol), and label everything. Store toys like a set of blocks and dress ups somewhere bigger.

Edited by Chris in VA
fixed link

Jean...One word....Flylady:001_huh:. The library book or web site makes everything so easy and following most of it for a few days or weeks will work wonders in a home. Lots of creative storage organizing ideas there too.

Now to go kick myself in the behind and begin again. I love her cleaning and decluttering lists. They're printable off the web site or following Kelly's 5-15 minute daily mission will shape a room/zone into room in 5 days.

I like small bins for kids rooms vs. big dump toy bins. The 4 inch tall ones slide nicely under beds and hold a whole bunch of Lego's or other things.

Boy, you don't ask for much, do ya? ;)

I'll just tell you what we've done, and let you pick up anything that might be useful.

Books, notebooks, etc., go in white metal bins with handles. They are smooth sided, so the paper doesn't get caught in rough edges as they did in milk crates or wicker. I only have two, so two bins suffice us, with a smaller extra one for the RightStart math manipulatives. The bins were from K-Mart's Martha Stewart line. Bins work better to get children to actually put things into. It's called 'one-motion storage.' There's an inverse relationship between how many motions you have to make and how often things get put away. (Hard to believe, eh?)

Extra notebook paper is in a hanging file in the filing cabinet.

Art and craft supplies are in a plastic rolling drawer set, paper up higher, larger supplies in the large lowest drawer. We use so many coloring books for history that they have their own similar rolling drawer set.

Good luck!