Menu

How many weeks of the year do you school?

KerriF

At the start of the year I plan 180 days/36 weeks and since we're using TOG too, it works out perfect. But I tend to condense at the end of year when we've finished most things and enthusiasm is nil...

I'd REALLY like to be done the last week in April this year so that would put us at 33 weeks. I think we can do it! :D

This year, using lessons learned from my oldest, we aren't going to stop math or writing practice. We have gotten into a habit of daily math and handwriting or copy work. We will continue that through the summer. It was hard to get my dd into this habit so we won't stop. I also continue to require daily reading, but in summer it is all free choice. We are also going to do a few weeks of next year's history because it is Medieval and Ren. and my girls love going to the Ren. Fest all through the summer.

So we do 180 days, but I don't worry if we miss days anymore because we will get in plenty of work and still relax and enjoy the summer.

We school year round. That meant for many years, that we took a spring and fall week-long vacation and all of December off. That would be 46 weeks.

Last year, we took a spring and fall week-long vacation, all of December off, and 4 weeks off during the summer. That would be 42 weeks.

It seems the older ds gets, the more he has a desire to have off some during the summer due to ps kid comparison. Even though the vast majority of the ps kids are not much more available during the summer <shrug>.

. . . we've always gone more like 40-42 weeks. We start when the public schools do and end when they do and don't take off all the time they do. Plus, we usually keep at least one subject going for each child through the summer (which I didn't count in the number given above).

However, this year, we're still adjusting to the upheaval caused by my daughter going off to college. For a variety of reasons too complex to explain, I've ended up driving her back and forth to campus each time she has a break or whatever AND we all went up there for a week to visit her during Family Weekend. It's 800+ miles each way, so I lose most of a week at home each time I have to make the trip.

Sometimes, my son (the remaining homeschooler) has gone with me. I enforce at least some reading and schoolwork on the road, and we try to squeeze in a field trip along the way. But we still end up behind and don't get in full days on the road.

In addition, my son has had wonderful luck with performance opportunities this year. He ended up being in 17 performances of The Nutcracker, including the weekday matinees for school groups, which ate a few weeks in December. Then, he got cast to help workshop a new opera, which involved spending most of two weeks rehearsing at an arts center. Then, he was invited to go to New York to spend another week rehearsing and doing a couple of presentations there. So, although I tried to have him at least keep up with some of his reading and, again, we worked in a few educational field trips, we lost most of five or six weeks there.

Consequently, we are now resigned to working later into the summer than usual and, even so, settling for 36 weeks of actual desk time. We'll still accomplish most or all of what I planned for the year; we just have to pack it into a little less time than I'm used to having.

--Jenny

We school short days, year round (days will get a bit longer as the kids get older). Last year we probably did 48 weeks of 4 or 5 days, with two weeks scheduled time out only for vacation and another two weeks for a family emergency.