Menu

Using ebooks in homeschool?

I am terribly embarassed to post this since I am a librarian, but I'm trying to figure out the best way (meaning cheapest, most efficient, greenest way) to utilize all of the great ebooks I have found with my children. Options I've considered so far: 1. Gather around the computer to read them which isn't cozy or mobile. 2. Printing them out which isn't cheap or green. 3. Purchasing an ASUS but then you are limited to places where there is wireless access which isn't conducive in vehicles. 4. Purchasing a Kindle but it seems there are issues with using Google books on them.

So, how do you use ebooks?

I'm so excited, because I just figured this out. Google books has a mobile site for the iPhone/itouch. I have an iPhone and yep, it totally works ~happy dance~. You might want to look into buying an old iPhone or itouch off of eBay. I know several people who have bought used iPhones, but don't activate the phone feature. They basically work just like the itouch. Like you, I just can't imagine printing off the books, so using an electronic device is really the only way for me. Hth,

It's not exactly green but I find that if you copy and paste some of the books into word or open office, you can reformat them with regards to font and line spacing.

I've found that some books when you reformat them, actually take up less pages as you are able to put more text on one page. I use pre-punched paper and print on both sides with my laser.

I hope that helps. It's my happy medium as my oldest does better with a paper book than an ebook. Little ds does okay either way but older needs the paper.

I hope this helps.

there are a number of PDAs that support eBooks that are a heck of a lot cheaper than an iPhone and do not require a data plan. i read eBooks on my Palm TX. this particular Palm can connect via wifi but i usually load ebooks to the TX by downloading them to a computer and then transferring the file.

i'd love an iPhone; can't afford the data plan. i'd love a Kindle; bit too pricey right now. when my Palm TX dies i will seriously consider an iTouch. PDAs that utilize eBook readers can probably be found for $100 or less.

there are a number of PDAs that support eBooks that are a heck of a lot cheaper than an iPhone and do not require a data plan. i read eBooks on my Palm TX. this particular Palm can connect via wifi but i usually load ebooks to the TX by downloading them to a computer and then transferring the file.

i'd love an iPhone; can't afford the data plan. i'd love a Kindle; bit too pricey right now. when my Palm TX dies i will seriously consider an iTouch. PDAs that utilize eBook readers can probably be found for $100 or less.

:iagree: I love reading them on my Palm (and have been since 2001!).

I"m about to dump my Treo because of the data plan, i'll be money ahead to buy the iPod Touch and carry a separate phone (UGH). I love my phone, but hate the data cost - that i don't use but have to have.

Goodness the data costs must be terrible there!

Mine is only $10/mth for 150MB and I don't use nearly that as usually it's connected to our home wi-fi.

It is $60 a month for the data for my phone on top of the regular plan. There is a new $30 a month option, but that is the cheapest. (i'm with Verizon)

I'm itching to use my daughter's DS. We bought a kit that allows me to load movies (I have to convert them) and ebooks onto a micro SD card and slip it into an adapter so she can watch them on her DS. We had to get it from Hong Kong though. They don't sell them in most shops in NA because people also use them for downloaded games.

Now, if I can just get her to let me use it...

Dd, 14, has read several out-of-print Jane Austen and G.A. Henty titles that our public library doesn't own while sitting at the computer. We have printed out a few old poems from Gutenberg for the children to read and add their own illustrations. We haven't taught out of any ebooks. I agree that it is not very "cuddly."

Here's the link to the product from the site we bought it from...http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14165. You do have to buy the Micro SD card seperate but I just picked that up at a local electronics shop.

The other great thing about it is she can load music on it and use her DS as an MP3 player. :)