Menu

Oh dear--am I the only one who finds this style of board cumbersome? (m)

Maybe it's because I'm so technologically challenged...but I loved the "old-fashioned" style of board, where you could just scroll down to see what was new in any given thread. The length of time it takes me to browse around the board now will most likely cause me to give up my "virtual support group" most of the time. I do understand the reason behind the switch, but oh, for the good old days...:rolleyes:

You're not the only one. I think that long time posters who never frequented other message boards are having the toughtest time. The people who love this format the most seem to be the ones who are used to it from other message boards they participate in.

This is either going to require a LOT more time and effort on my part to stay on top of things (something that was becoming difficult anyway, with the volume of posts), or I'm going to be cutting back on my time here quite a bit because it's just not "calling" me the way it used to :). Haven't decided which, but I think I'll be more inclinced to pop in less often. I might just stick to the HS board and leave it at that, and give up the "Cheers" attachment (like Momof7 said), and stick with homeschooling topics only. Which could be a good thing.

Stacey, did you decide where you're going on vacation? If I can get moved into my new house, you can come visit me (I'll have a guest bed and bath!) and check out what Houston has to offer.

Robin

No, you're far from the only one! I just managed to register (there were some technical problems). I'm one of those long-time since-the-beginning WTM posters who does not use other boards at all, so I fit your description to a T, Robin. I much prefer the other board. In fact, I almost decided not to register and just make a break--after all, I'm almost finished homeschooling.

Goodness, I'm not even sure I've done everything right for this post! We'll see when I press "submit."

I don't know if this has been posted somewhere else, but on forums like this I like to use the "New Posts" link at the top - it will pull up new posts since you last visited and makes seeing what's new easier. (Of course, if it's been a long time since you last logged in, you'll get tons of new posts . . .) But I prefer using that feature to checking under each separate board.

Cumbersome, indeed. So many more pages to load (which takes so much time). I very much like the old version of being able to quickly scan thru the posts. This will probably decrease drastically the time that I "quickly pop in" to check things.

Tho, I gotta admit. I'm mostly resistant to CHANGE of all sorts. :rolleyes:

and it seems like these boards will take too much time to keep on top of things! So, I probably will only visit the curriculum boards and ask/answer questions on topics that apply to us.

I hope we can maintain some sort of virtual support group here on the high school board, though. I have really appreciated the fellowship and encouragement:D

And can someone please tell me about this "hive mind" stuff? Why do some posts say "just visiting," while others say, <groan> "hive mind larvae," or "hive mind worker bee"?

Also, in my profile, I put in my blog url for people to see in my posts, but it doesn't show up? Anyone know why?

Would you all like some cheese with your whine? :)

Kathleen, when I click on your user name, I get an option that says "Visit Kathleen's Homepage". IF you want it to actually show up under your posts, you have to go to "User CP" and "edit signature" and add the link there.

Now, do you all prefer cheddar(sharp,mild), head, mozerella, shredded, swiss?

Well, I already agreed with you on the other board - BUT, I will add that (since you mentioned Momof7), it's harder to find out "what's up" with people (like her move). I can't just Ctrl-F and search for her name to find out what in the world "Cheers attachment" is referring to.

Oh, well, I'm thinking now I really will clean house.

Hi Kathleen,

LOL about the hive mind stuff! I guess it is just the board creators' creativity. I've never gotten into that hive mind stuff.

I miss the quick scan and this structure will definitely take more time than I have unless I adapt quickly.

Like Robin said, I one of those who never frequented any other board. Talk about culture-shock, but I guess all we can do is just stick with it a learn bit by bit.

I asked the question earlier about linking blogs (and other things) without all the http:// stuff showing.

Out of school today for MLK day and weather is calling for snow tomorrow!

I believe the "Hive Mind" vocabulary started on the K-8 General Board, so Kathleen you may have missed references to it over the past couple of years. I too find this new forum a bit awkward. As with anything, though, there is probably a learning curve. Once we've mastered it, we may not want to go back to Egypt. :o)

I do want to encourage all the old-timers and marathon-finishers to stay here! Your perspective and information is unmatched anywhere else I've looked!

Blessings to all,

Lisa

Re: the cheers attachment... she just said something to the affect that these boards won't feel like the new "Cheers"... I think that was an ongoing theme on the old gen board... it was sorta like an online Cheers :).

I think you can go to the Member's list and find her name and look for all her posts. And I think you can do an advanced search for a particular poster, if you want to try and catch up with someone.

Robin

I'm having trouble navigating these new boards, too! I miss the old format---where I could easily scroll down the board and find the topic of interest. Even if I wasn't interested in a particular topic, I could find out what others were discussing.

I think part of the reason for the change may have been security; those who try to post Spam and other nonsense will have to register.

I do wish we could turn back the clock and return to the old format!

I believe the "hive mind" is in reference to The Borg of StarTrek fame who connect to one another like bees in a hive. There are so many of us trekkies here that the name natural evolved from common interests in order to describe the connection we all make to each other through the boards and how we are stengthened because of it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, I would have missed that! I've only ever been on the high school board in all the 8+ years it's been here.

So, since I missed the "hive mind" references, what does it mean, in a nutshell?

"Hive Mind" as in a bee hive structure of order and thinking. One queen, many drones who all do what they are supposed to. :)

In our case, though, it would be the collective thinking that brings us all together---homeschooling--- and only the smattering of differeing opinions.

The Borg and the Collective... that too. :)

You know, I just figured out that one reason I've found these boards a bit less inviting is that we all seemed *toghether* over there. Hanging around a water cooler. Putting our feet up after a long day with a cup of (your choice). Over here, each thread just seems like an island unto itself. ::sigh:: That's okay. You can see on the bottom of the screen who's on-line at the same time.

Blessings,

Lisa

In a nutshell, it means groupthink or collective reasoning, or the consensus of a community. People used to ask on the gen board things like, "We trying to decide between ________ and _______ ... what sayeth the hive?" Some object to the term because it used to have a negative connotation in certain psychiatric realsm (meant that the group was composed of non-thinking conformists who followed the crowd). But that's not really the case anymore, and certainly not the case in this instance.

Well, I already agreed with you on the other board - BUT, I will add that (since you mentioned Momof7), it's harder to find out "what's up" with people (like her move). I can't just Ctrl-F and search for her name to find out what in the world "Cheers attachment" is referring to.

Oh, well, I'm thinking now I really will clean house.

Rhonda,

If you look at the members list, you can click on momof7's name and it will give you the option of looking up all posts made by her.

While the old threaded style can be scanned more easily, you cannot see what's inside the post until you click on it. The nice thing about these boards is seeing the post topic, clicking on it, and then seeing all the responses at once by scrolling down. No more clicking on individual posts. The hybrid mode allows me to see all the post's subject lines at a glance on top, and then the individual responses underneath. IMO, it's actually faster in the long run.

One more positive for me - I no longer have to wade through discussions I'm not interested in to get to the ones I am interested in. I can see topics at a glance without having to read the responses if I don't want to.

I just wanted to say that I love this new board -- and was relieved to see that it had been implemented, but I am familiar with the interface from other sites that I visit.

The old boards were impossible for me to follow and I gave up after a month or so. For one thing, having to pull up each page and do a CTRL+F to search was ineffective, and I never did find a way to search the actual messages themselves.

As with most things, it's just what you're used to -- and what you're expecting to be able to find.

There are a lot of tools to help you find threads that you've responded to, and what's been posted. You can also keep track of what your friends have posted. A few days of digging around should reveal a lot, but specifically the links across the top of the page (to the control panel, etc.) and the icons that are listed at the bottom of the list of messages will help a lot.

HTH

I have used this style of board at Bravewriter.com, and it's the main reason that I seldom participate there.

I really liked the efficiency of the old boards. The 'outline form' of the postings and replies made it easy for me to look things over quickly and participate in what I was most interested in or where I thought I could really contribute or learn something.

Now it's difficult to figure what response applies to what posting, and so the sense of conversation is completely gone for me.

I thought the board was cumbersome at first, too. I'm one of the posters Robin in TX described--here for many years, don't frequent other boards. Once I figured out a few settings, though, I can scan the new boards pretty quickly. I order the posts by time of first post in descending order, and I view them in hybrid mode. It works pretty well.

I spent forever last night trying to make an avatar for myself. I figured it out without any help from my dc, and I'm definitely an "old dog". Hang in there ladies, it does get easier.

Beth