Menu

Saturn's Rings - I got a picture!

I'm sorry. Not the brightest bulb in the box, apparently. I'm trying to understand how we know these to be Saturn's rings? Are photos of other planets with "normal" equipment (ie: not specialized cameras) more round in shape, or is it the little tiny tip of light at the top of the bright image? What says "rings"? :)

Doran

I'm sorry. Not the brightest bulb in the box, apparently. I'm trying to understand how we know these to be Saturn's rings? Are photos of other planets with "normal" equipment (ie: not specialized cameras) more round in shape, or is it the little tiny tip of light at the top of the bright image? What says "rings"? :)

Doran

:) Well, we read it on our local science center's site. It told us where to look in relation to the moon to see the rings of saturn. That is where we looked and that is what we saw (with my camera and then zoomed way in). I realize it doesn't look terribly special as I don't have a high tech lens. But if you can imagine the planet on its side sort of with the rings pointing sort of north and south. From looking close up at the other pictures I took that include stars, etc... this does look markedly different.