Menu

Many Raves for Little Britches Series (literature) (x-post)

I have dabbled in The Thomas Jefferson Education homeschooling method. I went to a seminar last fall where the book Little Britches by Ralph Moody was required reading. I thought it was excellent, and when my 6-yr-old son was recently shifting his literary interests, I pulled it off the shelf (although I really thought it might be too old for him) and started reading.

Little did I know what I would set off.

Not only did my son fall passionately in love with the book, so did my husband (who asked me to stop reading the book during the daytime as he did not want to miss anything), my mother (who came one weekend and went home to buy the book), my son's second cousins, and our youth minister (to whom I loaned it).

We are now on book 3 of the series and my son has not slowed in his appetite for it. We are glad. The books are an autobiographical journey of the author, who is telling the story of his life as a boy at the turn-of-the-century (that would be the last one), first on a farm in Colorado and then in the city of Boston. They trace the story of a family who has a lot more love than money, and they powerfully relate the courage and strength of character that bring the family through a life where the next big hardship is seemingly always knocking at the front door while the previous one exits out the back.

Secular readers should note that there is some Christian content in the books, but it is always done as a natural part of a family that is living and relying on its faith to help it through, never in a cloying or proselytizing (sp?) way. Also, there is some cussing by the cowboys in the story, so you may want to peruse to ensure it passes muster (I just omitted those parts, or changed the words).

The Little Britches series is sometimes billed as "Little House" for boys, but there are female characters and they have held the interest of my son's girl cousins.

Anyway, in case anyone is looking for a good family read, I can heartily recommend these books. (BTW - the first few books, in order, are: Little Britches, Man of the Family, Mary Emma & Co. There are others by the same author but I haven't determined the order yet.)

Our local library had Little Britches. The other books I got through Amazon.

Note: I am also posting this in the Children's Lit group.

I agree - these are GREAT books - I think of it as the equivalent of Little House on the Prairie for boys. I love to reread them myself, too. Note the last few books Ralph is an older teen/young adult - no sex or profanity, just how a well-raised young man made his own way back in the day. Great books.