Menu

What is your experience with classical conversations??

Ok, so our experience is we have a 10 year old and a five year old. They love CC. My son(5) can get through until about the last half hour or so and then comes and sticks around me. I'm the director, so my kids have to be there early (an hour early) and so that may be part of what makes it a little hard to stick in class. Also, I'm ok with him knowing that he needs to come be with me. If I wasn't directing, I would be in his class more than I am. He knows all of the material, and I can't really take credit for it. We listen to the cd a couple of times a week (or get on the C3 part of the site, which is a computerized way to practice...he loves this.) anyway..he loves it!

My ten year old loves it, too. We do Foundations and Essentials. My 10 year old mentioned that for the first time she has friends. Of course, she has ballet friends, Awana friends, etc...But at CC she really gets to interact. Much different than public school for her. She's actually really social, but CC is just different for her!

I have a 16 year old in Challenge B, which is approximately 8th grade. She is enjoying Logic, debate, current events...etc. She's already farther than they are in Latin. She does pre-calculus independently, Forensic Science, Chemistry and Band at school. She also is reading through some history on the side.

She's loved the unique interaction of other Christians that are in and education setting. I would have loved her to go the whole way through the Challenges, although for us, she would have always needed extra learning opportunities. I suppose that's why she's as educated as she is, even though she was in public school. She's always been good at self education.

I believe that CC can help you to provide a great Social, Educational learning environment and be part of the foundation that your children need to become well rounded Christian adults.

Carrie:-)

Ok, so where you are should be a fairly established community. Do you have your kids do all of the same work, as much as you can? Are you ok with it taking you longer to get through a core? I'd pick the 4 day if I was really trying to stay close to a year....and do 5 day if you're fine with taking longer.

It's fairly easy to use CC as the spine, but if you want to use Sonlight, I've heard that it can work, too. There's tons of info on here if you do an "Advanced Search" for Classical + Conversations. Just to let you know, Cycle 1 is "Ancient History" but I believe it's more of a start in Ancient and move towards Modern, so it's a bit of a "World History Overview." It should be a great Cycle to start with!

Have you gone to and Info meeting? Open Houses should still be going on....AND, practicums are right around the corner. I would think of taking your kids...although it costs for them to do the student camp...the Practicums are free. My 5 year old is getting left with g-ma, though, because 3 full days are too much for him.

Thank you so much for your info. I did go to an info meeting and I will be going to open house next week. What do you do for the history part? Do you use something else as your spine or is CC your spine and you add on books suggested from the Veritas Cards?

What do you do for the Science? Right now we do Exploring creation with Astronomy and I was planning on doing the Botony and Human Anatomy (due to come out this summer) ones for next year, but with the cycle 1 being Biology and Earth Science I guess it would be best to change that. What do you think?

I combine everyone for Bible, History and Science.

......What do you do for the Science? Right now we do Exploring creation with Astronomy and I was planning on doing the Botony and Human Anatomy (due to come out this summer) ones for next year, but with the cycle 1 being Biology and Earth Science I guess it would be best to change that. What do you think?

I combine everyone for Bible, History and Science.

If you end up doing CC for the 3 cycles...and then it starts over...I'd save at least the Human Anatomy for Cycle 3, but that's not imperative.

It might be more relevant, if you memorize what you plan to study. I'd plan on doing that, but it wouldn't stand between if I did CC or not.

For History, I have the kids listen to tons of Cds...SOTW, Jim Weiss reading his own cds...and then also just tons of library cds.

I also read tons of living math books....books by Greg Tang and Cindy Neuschwander, and any other living book I can get. I often sneak in my older child learning...by having her read the books to the 5 year old.

I also tutor both Foundations and Essentials. I've always "approximately" lined up science/history, but not week-by-week. I'm too brain-dead for that level of coordination ;). This year year we're doing Sonlight Core 4 for history/lit and Sonlight Core 5 for science. Next year I'll have one in Challenge A, so we're doing a geography study as a family and reading through SOTW 1 and 2 out loud. For science we're doing a lapbook of the CC concepts and informal nature study. We've been through SOTW before, having read one volume out load each year through Sonlight Cores 1-4.

We've never had a Memory Master in our house, but my kids love CC and probably learn 80% of the material each year. It's been well worth it for us on every front.