Menu

Winterpromise American History I?

Jennifer in NH

A few people suggested I look into Winterpromise for Am. History for what will be my dd8 and ds6 (plus the ds2 hanging around). It looks interesting, albeit a bit pricey if one is to buy everything including the LA programs for both kids. I just have a few questions from those who may have used this program.

The activities and crafts, how extensive are they? Put it this way, my kids love crafts and I dread them! Are they fairly complicated or easy???

The other question was how would this program do for a Catholic? From what I have seen, I love the books selections...we would be going with the Non Native American package. Mostly, because it is cheaper, and we will also be doing a light version of SOTW 3, so it will end up with more work than we have been used to.

Thank you

I'm using this now with a 2nd grader and a 4th grader by age. The 4th grader is doing a whole bunch of other stuff more appropriate to her academic grade and mainly just listens to the read-alouds but does her own things to match the WP schedule.

The 2nd grader loves the "crafts." They are primarily of 4 types. First, there is a 3-D map book. The kid colors the map, cuts out these little figures (say, of Viking ships), cuts a slit in the map (I cut the slit with nail scissors) and makes the Viking ships move from Norway to Greenland to Newfoundland. I know, that wasn't a good explanation, but they're quite simple once you've done the first one. I do very little of the actual craft--just help with the explanation.

The second book from which projects are drawn has similar types of activities--the child colors and constructs a log cabin or a carriage or some such. Again, other than explaining what she's doing, I don't do much.

There is a third book from which occasional, more complicated crafts are pulled. They're only scheduled every 3 weeks or so, and they're really not that bad. For example, when studying Native American cultures and reading Birchbark House (we're not doing NA focus, either), she constructed a model of a wigwam out of mud, leaves, bark, etc., over a plastic bowl.

Finally, the Make Your Own History Pages will often have an activity for the child, but it's never a craft-more like a drawing. For example, the MYOH page this week described Robert Fulton and instructed the child to find a picture of a steamship and draw it here.

I, too, dislike crafts, but these have been a great compromise for us.

As for Catholics, I've seen nothing anti-Catholic. We don't use the Bible study portion, so we've only come across one non-secular item: a biography from CLE (I think) of Jebediah Smith. He does interact with priests in Spanish missions in California, but there have been no anti-Catholic sentiments. I was raised Catholic, so I expected there to be some snide remarks thrown in, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Hope that helps--we've been really pleased with AS I and are using AS II next year.

Terri

The activities and crafts, how extensive are they? Put it this way, my kids love crafts and I dread them! Are they fairly complicated or easy???

We did this last year. The intensity of efforts parents must put into the crafts varies widely. The least complicated "craft," if you can call it that, is coloring in an informative page and placing it in the right section of your timeline binder/book of centuries. The most complicated is probably churning butter, or, no, maybe making soap. The good news is, you can do whatever works for you that week. In the beginning, the crafts are almost all paper crafts -- just coloring, cutting and pasting. So you kind of ease into the more intense ones that come out of the Pioneer Days book.

I just wanted to wave at you wildly and say, "Hey!" We'll be doing AS1 next year with my second grader. We're a dyed in the wool WP family at the moment. Even the craft-intensive Animals and Their Worlds theme we're doing this year has no papier mache projects, LOL. Our biggest project has been a diorama of the African Savanna.

My girls did AS 1 last year. It was a great year. Like your family, my kids love crafts and I don't. Winter Promise was great because the crafts were easy. Also, I felt that the curriculum granted me "permission" to pick and choose which ones to do and which ones to skip without feeling like a major portion of the program would be missing.

The Bible portion is really light and there wasn't any anti-Catholic bias in it. It was very general.

I plan to do AS2 next year and am looking forward to it.

Good luck.

First, there is a 3-D map book. The kid colors the map, cuts out these little figures (say, of Viking ships), cuts a slit in the map (I cut the slit with nail scissors) and makes the Viking ships move from Norway to Greenland to Newfoundland. I know, that wasn't a good explanation, but they're quite simple once you've done the first one.

I have a picture of our Lewis and Clark map.

IMG_1203.jpg

There are pictures on my blog of some of the Winter Promise AS1 crafts that we did. Here is the link: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Mamabyrd/

You'll have to scroll down the page a bit but there are several pictures. There are more pictures on page 2 of the blog. I did not buy the Native American add-on but I did buy the More than Moccasins book and some of the crafts pictured are from that. My girls loved that book. HTH.