Menu

How many days of school so far?

We are required 175. I have no idea how many days we've done. I've marked all of them present for attendance though. I did that the first week of school. The little bit of unschooler in me says every day is a learning day even though no formal lessons are done. As long as we mostly finish our books and are ready to move up, I'm satisfied with our progress without worrying about the actual days it is done on.

My middle two haven't reached compulsory age yet. DD#1 will next year (the school year in which she will turn 8), and we'll have to mark 180 days.

DS#1 is in a cyber charter, which requires 180. I have no idea what day he's on, but I should probably find out. The official last day is June 4th, but they give a few weeks leeway if needed.

For the record, I hate homeschool "attendance". Regardless of whether or not I consider every day a learning day, public school kids are allowed multiple absences within the 180 day state requirement. Homeschoolers are not. At least, not here.

Regardless of whether or not I consider every day a learning day, public school kids are allowed multiple absences within the 180 day state requirement. Homeschoolers are not. At least, not here.

I had not thought of that! The PS kids can miss 16 days of school here.

But we don't have to count days anyway. We are required to school for 9 months with reasonable breaks and holidays. We are also required to mark attendance. We're on day 128.

Wow, I didn't know so many were required to have 180 days. I would have to school almost year round if I had that many. I started in July and we have had lots of 4 day weeks for various reasons. If we stay on track, we will finish the last week of April. May and June will be "summer break" and we will start back in July again.

Me too! Just another indicator of how horribly unorganized I am.:tongue_smilie:

:D I'm not so much unorganized, just lazy. I don't want to have to open the homeschooling program every day just to mark the attendance record. So they all get marked present the first week of school. Any sick days I can change to sick if/when they occur.

We are required to have 875 hours. If you did 180 days that comes to a little less than 5 hours a day. I don't technically keep track of day or hours but since I have a database of all their homework assignments, I went back and counted for curiosity's sake. We are at day 130. I would say a normal day around here is about 6 hours (oldest student is very advanced and doing challenging work, younger student is just slow as molasses). We finish our school year in April. Our new school year start in June but we are gone alot in July and sometimes Aug so it ends up being a week on and and week off most of the summer.

Day 93. We are required 900 hours. We are a little behind in hours, but I am not concerned. This is the first year that I feel good about our pace and schedule...whether it matches up to the state or not. Plus we are taking a D.C. trip with our homeschool co-op in June. That should easily finish up any hours we haven't completed.

For the record, I hate homeschool "attendance". Regardless of whether or not I consider every day a learning day, public school kids are allowed multiple absences within the 180 day state requirement. Homeschoolers are not. At least, not here.

True.

We're required to do 180 days. We're doing year round, so I haven't really counted. I could go back and look at the calendar to figure it out.

The younger is on day 47, I believe and the older is all over the place. We started this curriculum late, had a tropical storm, had a surgery, had broken bones, had PT appts, had three sick animals, had weekly allergy shots with one anaphalatic reaction, moved right before Christmas, and are still having many medical problems.

Both of them are learning and the younger has done more days then her curriculum shows because we had to do a number of days in two parts due to all of the above problems. We live in a state that requires testing or a review and they will pass. We just keep on working.

We're on day 112 out of 180 required. We're supposed to have 5.5 hours x 180 days as well, but counting hours would drive me batty. We usually school 3 hours a day and then there's music classes and free reading and recess ;) and all that learning time outside of structured "school" time so I'm fairly sure we're actually ahead on that score!

I am not really sure what day we are on. I know we hit 110 sometime in December (I counted at that point because everyone was talking about their 100 day projects). We are not required to do a certain number of days, but we are required to report attendance.

& we have finished 10 days so far.

We aren't required to count days or hours, just to teach " at least as regularly & as well as" the PS. Primary PS complete ~195 days / year & PS highschools complete 190 days / year. We aim for 200 days / year (or 50 days / term.) Most PS have school camps, sports days, etc. that count as school days, so I could count our week of camp last week ( I had my dc do 30" each daily in maths, writing, & reading) & that would put us at 15 days finished if I wanted, but I usually only count days where we finished a day's achedemic work.

Blessings,

Edited by Deb in NZ

Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post

I have no idea how many days we've done. I'm satisfied with our progress without worrying about the actual days it is done on.

Me too! Just another indicator of how horribly unorganized I am.

Silly! I don't have to know so don't know. Nor do I care. I worry about progress which is perfectly fine, maybe better :D

I can make an educated guess. DS used a virtual academy for first semester. That would have been approximately 80 days. So plus January would have us just over 100.

I couldn't tell you how many days we have done ANY year. And I just don't think it matters. And it doesn't say anything about my organization or the quality of our homeschool.

And I think it's perfectly okay for anyone else to be in the same boat.

We are on day 114 of the 180 days required. I school year round so I'm not concerned about getting that quota in. It's just nice to keep tabs on it, so we can celebrate getting through the 180 day requirement.

One bonus of homeschooling for me is to see all those extra days we do of school as giving my kids an advantage. They are spending far more time schooling than their friends and it shows. (In most areas anyways. Handwriting is still a struggle.) My son no longer forgets concepts he's learned from long summer breaks. The year round schedule we do now is really working out well for my family.