Menu

Please pray for ER. He is sick while at college & is taking several Rx meds.

ER developed a sinus/upper respiratory infection over the weekend and couldn't get an appointment to see the doctor at the infirmary until yesterday (Thursday). By that time, he had lost his voice :( (he is a voice major!), his sinuses were completely blocked, and he also had sore throat, headache, and dizziness. The doctor prescribed an antibiotic, antihistamine/decongestant, and Prednisone (for the swelling in the sinuses, he said).

I just HATE it that he is sick and away from home! I want to be there to take care of him myself! Please pray that he gets well soon!

My daughter has been sick twice this semester. The first time, it was whatever virus-y thing was going around the campus. She put off going to the infirmary until she was actually starting to get better, at which point the doctor prescribed something that she never bothered to fill.

Then, this week, she got so sick she couldn't get out of bed one day, because she got dizzy. The night before, she had actually passed out on her way back to the dorm from a play rehearsal. I bullied her into making one of the RAs take her to the closest walk-in clinic, because by the time she called me, everything on campus was closed.

They determined that she had a kidney or urinary tract infection, which caused a fever and dehydration, which caused the dizziness. She also has a raging sore throat, which may be related to the dehydration or may be a symptom of something else. We're still waiting on blood test results.

She is minoring in vocal performance, by the way, and is in a musical that opens this weekend.

She has started an antibiotic and is feeling much better. She even managed to sing a bit for her voice lesson yesterday.

I can't tell you, though, just how many times I had those car keys in my hand this week, preparing to drive up there and see for myself what is going on.

So, I can totally relate, and I hope ER is on the mend soon!

My son is sick at college now, too. He's at a school where the winter weather is frankly nasty. Cold, wet, sleety, snowy precipitation all the time it seems. His dorm smells like wet wool to me.

Anyway, when I was in college I remember a male student who was very ill close to finals. His mother drove or flew in and got a nearby hotel room. She spent several complete days in his room just caring for him. His roommate temporarily moved to a friend's room so as not to get sick. The mom did get her son through finals.

But another friend, also male, was very sick and his parents came and got him and took him home for a long weekend and that seemed to do the trick. Just being able to sleep uninterrupted and have someone bring you drinks and make sure you get your meds on time helps so much.

Good luck to your son. It's very stressful knowing that your child is ill and is far from home.

Maybe sending him a package would help--for the next time, anyway.

You could put in

some herbal throat lozenges

some chicken soup (something organic and yummy)

a box of extra-soft, lotion-y kleenex

a box of saline nasal spray

a warm and comfy (maybe fleece) laprobe/small blanket

I once sent a warm fuzzy blanket to ds when he was in treatment. I told him to wrap it around him and know I was hugging him right then. I actually hugged the blanket myself before I sent it! lol It's hard when they are away, but he's smart enough to get some meds, and it won't be long til he's better. :grouphug:

How's he doing by now? Have you heard? I remember when I was sick at college for the first time. It was GOOD in that it really helped me appreciate my mom (wishing she was there to pamper me-- which she never would have done at home, but a girl can dream;o)

I pray he is getting well quickly. One fairly inexpensive thing that seems to help colds is to put Vicks Vapor Rub on your feet at night. It's worth a try.

My daughter has been sick twice this semester. The first time, it was whatever virus-y thing was going around the campus. She put off going to the infirmary until she was actually starting to get better, at which point the doctor prescribed something that she never bothered to fill.

Then, this week, she got so sick she couldn't get out of bed one day, because she got dizzy. The night before, she had actually passed out on her way back to the dorm from a play rehearsal. I bullied her into making one of the RAs take her to the closest walk-in clinic, because by the time she called me, everything on campus was closed.

They determined that she had a kidney or urinary tract infection, which caused a fever and dehydration, which caused the dizziness. She also has a raging sore throat, which may be related to the dehydration or may be a symptom of something else. We're still waiting on blood test results.

She is minoring in vocal performance, by the way, and is in a musical that opens this weekend.

She has started an antibiotic and is feeling much better. She even managed to sing a bit for her voice lesson yesterday.

I can't tell you, though, just how many times I had those car keys in my hand this week, preparing to drive up there and see for myself what is going on.

So, I can totally relate, and I hope ER is on the mend soon!

I had something very similar. A bad cold with some dizzyness and a lot of sinus congestion/pressure, followed by the worst sore throat of my life that lasted for two weeks and swollen lymph nodes everywhere. I thought it was strep but it wasn't. Antibiotics didn't help me, so I'm assuming it was some strange viral thing. Some flonase spray helped shrink the swelling in my sinuses and throat. It did finally go away....the whole thing lasted most of January.

I hope your son feels better soon! This has been a bad year for colds, etc. for many people.