Menu

Anyone else read Twilight?

A friends daughter started. Then my friend. They insisted my dd read it, and I was still scoffing and rolling my eyes and wondering if I wanted my teen to read it, but I am fairly liberal and allowed it.

Then dd told me I HAD to read it. So I thought ok, just so I can discuss it with her and see what the fuss is about.

I am completely addicted. I feel like a teenager. I am in love with Edward.

I know it's not good literature. Its fluff. I dont read fluff. I dont even read novels and I most absolutely definitely never ever read romantic fluffy novels. But this is.....well, I am just going to leave it there.

Anyone else read it?

I am onto book 2.

I read the first two books. While reading the first book, I thought yuck why am I reading this twaddle. Sometimes I liked the book some times I didn't. I think the reason why I had mixed feelings was because the writing seemed inconsistent. After reading the first book, I thought I wouldn't read the second. My daughter insisted that I read the second book too. So out of boredom I did. It turns out that I liked the second book better than the first. It felt like the writing style had improved and had matured.

Blessings

Zoraida

Yep, I'm addicted too. I'm on the last one right now. It is definitely "easy" and "quick" reading, but for some reason, so compelling! Definitley teeny-bopperish, though, and I would never have dreamed of finding myself into it.

BTW, the 4th book is a bit more older-teen or adult themed. There is some hanky panky described, so be warned if you are concerned about your DD reading it. You may want to read it first....

And, yes, Edward is so "DREAMY", despite being a vampire! I'm pathetic....

I read the first two books. While reading the first book, I thought yuck why am I reading this twaddle. Sometimes I liked the book some times I didn't. I think the reason why I had mixed feelings was because the writing seemed inconsistent. After reading the first book, I thought I wouldn't read the second. My daughter insisted that I read the second book too. So out of boredom I did. It turns out that I liked the second book better than the first. It felt like the writing style had improved and had matured.

Blessings

Zoraida

:iagree:

Several people told me I needed to read the books. My sil lent the set to me. I was like you. I read the first one and thought exactly what you just wrote. I really didn't think I would read the second one. This past week we had a long drive home from FL to SC, I grabbed the book as I was packing thinking it was something to do on the drive. I am not that far into it, but I do think it is better than the first one. I was actually so drawn into reading it, that I forgot to tell my ds where to exit on the drive! :tongue_smilie: I looked up and asked if we had passed Ocala. He was like, uh, we are at Gainesville! Oops! :lol:

I enjoyed them, too. A friend suggested that I start reading the Southern Vampire Series by Charlaine Harris-- the HBO show True Blood is based on these books. These are very similar to Twilight and in fact were written before Twilight and I would say that many, many things were borrowed from Harris' books. They are way more 'adult', tho. ;) They are real page turners, too.

embrace your vampire love!

Margaret

I enjoyed them, too. A friend suggested that I start reading the Southern Vampire Series by Charlaine Harris-- the HBO show True Blood is based on these books. These are very similar to Twilight and in fact were written before Twilight and I would say that many, many things were borrowed from Harris' books. They are way more 'adult', tho. ;) They are real page turners, too.

embrace your vampire love!

Margaret

I read the first book in Charlaine Harris series just before Christmas and decided to put her book as number 1 on my worst book of the year list. It was just a yucky read.

Blessings

Zoraida

I really tried to like it, but I couldn't get past the juvenile feel and poor writing. I can imagine swooning over a scruffy, dirty pirate, but for some reason vampires don't do it for me. Maybe I keep picturing some effeminate Tom Cruise from that other vampire movie?

I have nothing against "junk reading", tho. I abhor the word twaddle. I used to read those Harlequin romance books in 9th grade, and fully expected to move to Australia, become a governess to some gorgeous but slightly haughty sheep farmer named Rufus, and finally realize he's the One! (All my favorite ones were set in Australia)

I'm with you -- I've read reams of junk and twaddle, but these books just don't do anything for me.

I take that back -- we've got several running jokes going in our house regarding Edward (I read them before 13yo dd -- the entire time she was reading the first one I kept interrupting her to ask, "Have you got to the part yet where she decides he's cute?" "She thinks he's cute? Really? I hadn't caught on to that!"). And we've had several good conversations about what makes a good story, what makes a good relationship, etc. So some good has come from reading them, in sort of a "what not to do" way.

I've read the whole series a few times through at this point. :blushing:

Nearly every woman in my family (aunts, cousins, etc.) has read them and loves them. My mom is the last holdout and I'm lending her the first book next month. :D

The mystery of Edward's character, combined with the intense emotional writing style, really made the first book impossible to put down. I snuck out of bed one night after my husband fell asleep to finish reading - I was up until after 3 am. I couldn't sleep without knowing what happened! :lol:

Enjoy finishing the series!! My favorite books were the first one and the last one.

I read all 4 of them and enjoyed them. I don't think the last book is appropriate for anyone under college age. So I dont really see the point in allowing them to read the first three if they "arent allowed" to read the last one. If my parents told me that, I would sneak a chapter as often as I possibly could at my friends house, or borrow it and read it in secret.

I didn't think there was anything terribly awful in the last book, but it jumps to adult themes and frankly turns off most teens I have spoken with anyway.

My daughter is begging to read these books. What age would you say they are appropriate for? She is 11 going on 20.

I would preread them yourself. I would say 11 is young. My dd is 14 and a half but she is a bit of a later maturer. It is all about falling in love, obsessing, emotions etc. She was ready, it's where she is at, but I wouldn't have wanted to stimulate that at 11, ifkwim.

I read all 4 of them and enjoyed them. I don't think the last book is appropriate for anyone under college age. So I dont really see the point in allowing them to read the first three if they "arent allowed" to read the last one. If my parents told me that, I would sneak a chapter as often as I possibly could at my friends house, or borrow it and read it in secret.

I didn't think there was anything terribly awful in the last book, but it jumps to adult themes and frankly turns off most teens I have spoken with anyway.

Yes, I so far havent found anything I am concerned about my teen reading in the first 2 books, but I hear it gets more...adult.

Too late here. She has read adult books before. I did tell her before she started that I only wanted her to read the first 2 books since my friend told me it changes- but I am not going to stop her. I handed her Clan of the Cave Bear last year while we were doing Ancients, since I loved that series, and she just told me, mum, that was one s*x scene after another. Oops. I had forgotten that. She reckons she skips over them anyway :).

I've read the whole series and I'm in the process of rereading the series for the second time. I identified with the emotions in book 2 as I went through a divorce at 24 - The pain, the numbness, loss of dreams and family, and finally coming out of it a couple of months later. I didn't find the s*x scenes to be all that descriptive and I like the fact that there was no premarital fooling around. I'll reevaluate when I reread the last book. All that to say.... I really enjoyed the books.

I read the first book in Charlaine Harris series just before Christmas and decided to put her book as number 1 on my worst book of the year list. It was just a yucky read.

Blessings

Zoraida

Wait... you read and enjoyed Twilight, but not Dead Until Dark? Really? Because I think they aren't great literature or anything, but better quality than the Meyer books.

Margaret

I loved them. I was sick for a week and decided to buy the ebooks. I read one book a day and it was perfect... boring couch time wasnt so boring after all lol.

I didnt get the whole vampire crush thing at all....until now! I'm hopelessly drawn to Edward too....he's so dreamy. ROFL.