Menu

how many pages of ABeka a day?

If you plan on buying the lesson plan book, that should tell you which pages to assign, but if you're not going to buy the lesson plan book, then I would do at least 3 pages per day. The thing I like about Abeka is that you can do the grammar right in the book. The most annoying thing about Abeka is that all of the Grammar & Composition books jump around quite a bit (if you use their lesson plans); frequently you'll do exercises in the beginning of the book, where the grammar portion is, but then also some work towards the back section of the book, where the composition section is. My recommendation would be to buy the lesson plan book, but you can still get the work done by doing the amount of pages I suggested.

It might be easier to let them work in the book at each sitting until they get tired of it. It might take 30 minutes or an hour, depending on the material. That worked well for our dc. They liked the fact that they could go as fast as they wanted to. And all of them have been finished with the entire ABeka Grammar and Comp. series for several years now.

Another thing I would have done, in hindsight, is to view the grammar units as completely separate from the composition units. They are 2 different skills and often develop at different rates. (kinda like reading and spelling) Unless you particularly like alternating grammar and writing (as you would if you went straight through the books), I'd turn them into 2 separate courses and focus on the 2 skills separately.

HTH.

I've often thought of doing this, but never have. I wish Abeka would organize their book like R&S, where you just focus on one lesson a day and follow the book sequentially. But, indeed you can focus on the grammar and composition sections of the book as two separate skills and therefore work through those sections independently from each other.

in completing the G & C I. You might want to consider getting one. Now, in G & C I, grammar starts in Unit 1 and composition starts somewhere in Unit 18 or 19, but the lesson plan book has the student work in the grammar and composition sections at the same time. Also, the lesson plan book has the student completing several book reports and it instructs the student to write different types of book reports: short, long, and oral. The G & C I student workbook doesn't mention these at all.

Claire in NM

We got the DVD series for 7th grade. I finally had to stop the English portion because my ds couldn't keep up with that English schedule. Now that he is behind in the DVD lessons, I can't figure out in what order to have him work because the lessons skipped around in the G&C 1 book. So, do I need a special lesson plan book?