Menu

any nurses here? Need help with med tastes...

my mother is on so many meds for numerous diseases. I feel so bad having to make her take her meds. Sometimes she fights, sometimes she cries. Mostly she'll take them and cringe because I am very patient with her and sweet talk her through it.

Today I gave her peppermint extract in her meds and it seemed to help but she didn't really enjoy. I've tried sugar free syrup, jam, applesauce, cottage cheese, ice cream, cream cheese w/chive.

I crush them all and recently mixed with juice and SF soda and then forced them with a syringe. After a few days she knew how to prevent that, too. Some of her meds are liquified.

Any ideas? I've really tried...

Denise

Aww, that's so hard for you and your mom. It sounds like you've tried everything I know about. Does your mom have all her faculties and understand why she's taking so many meds? Or is she just resistive b/c she doesn't like the taste? Either way, it's hard to get past if she wants to resist.

Have you talked with a pharmacist? Sometimes they can add flavorings to medicinces (Not that I've ever tasted a good flavored med). They may also have some other ideas for you.

Jacqui

My dad, willingly, took pills coated in mayo.

At work (lots of dementia) they dot them on peanut butter sandwiches. This assumes a decent swallow ability. Also, one woman gets hers in cocoa or we quietly open up a carton of Boost, mix it in, and refold the cover so it looks intact. (We have both a guardian and a court-order for this sneaky way...).

Not sure if an adult would like this but for my kids I've mixed Orapred which is horrible tasting with chocolate syrup. It hides the taste of almost anything.

I've also heard that strawberry milk is a good one for hiding stuff in.

You could ask the pharmacy if you can refrigerate them or put them over something with ice. I know a lot of times in the hospital giving things cold decreases the bad taste. But you have to make sure it doesn't make the medicine less active.

my mother is on so many meds for numerous diseases. I feel so bad having to make her take her meds. Sometimes she fights, sometimes she cries. Mostly she'll take them and cringe because I am very patient with her and sweet talk her through it.

Today I gave her peppermint extract in her meds and it seemed to help but she didn't really enjoy. I've tried sugar free syrup, jam, applesauce, cottage cheese, ice cream, cream cheese w/chive.

I crush them all and recently mixed with juice and SF soda and then forced them with a syringe. After a few days she knew how to prevent that, too. Some of her meds are liquified.

Any ideas? I've really tried...

Denise

Is your mother "in her right mind?" If she is competent, she has the legal right to refuse any medical care, including medicine. Adults who have not been declared incompetent and appointed a guardian or a Healthcare Power of Attorney have the right to make decisions for themselves, even decisions that family doesn't agree with and decisions that would hasten their own demise (such as refusing treatment or refusing to take medicine).

If you are sure that she wants (or would want) the treatment, some have given good suggestions on making the meds easier to swallow.

I am very sorry you have to go through this difficult time.

Is your mother "in her right mind?" If she is competent, she has the legal right to refuse any medical care, including medicine. Adults who have not been declared incompetent and appointed a guardian or a Healthcare Power of Attorney have the right to make decisions for themselves, even decisions that family doesn't agree with and decisions that would hasten their own demise (such as refusing treatment or refusing to take medicine).

If you are sure that she wants (or would want) the treatment, some have given good suggestions on making the meds easier to swallow.

I am very sorry you have to go through this difficult time.

:iagree: This is a big issue in elder care.

If she does want to take the meds but they're icky for some reason, a compounding pharmacy can be your very best friend. There aren't tons of them around but they do exist and they can make up pretty much any meds in any concentration in a variety of formats & flavours. Some meds can also be made up in suppository format which may or may not be easier.

Also remember if a patient is taking a lot of meds, it is imperative that you have one physician and/or one pharmacist who is keeping track of ALL the prescriptions. Drug interactions are a HUGE problem for seniors who are taking a # of prescription meds. It's a good idea to make a list of all the meds & remember you must put on any OTC/herbal etc remedies on it as well and have someone who knows what they're doing look at it and review it anytime a prescription changes.

Drug interactions are a big cause of hospitalizations for seniors....

thanks, ladies.

No, my om isn't in her right mind. She has severe dementia. While I'm ok with her not taking her meds because she doesn't want treatment, I can't make that call because she is too sick. And, my sister is her DPOA and I know she'd want to make sure mom gets ALL her meds.

While I want all her diseases controlled, the dementia meds are important to me. I remember how bad my mother got before my father had to admit her to a geriatric psyche ward before they regulated her meds. She's doing very well now.

Mom can't have chocolate but I like the popsicle idea and adding to cold stuff. She can't swallow pills at all. She used to pocket them.

Usually if I sweet talk her through the med dispensal she'll take them all. Sometimes it will take an hour! I just wish I could hide that taste. The morning and evening pills seem to taste the worst.

I have a few new ideas to try.

Thanks!

Denise

[quote=Denisemomof4;789442

Usually if I sweet talk her through the med dispensal she'll take them all. Sometimes it will take an hour! I just wish I could hide that taste. The morning and evening pills seem to taste the worst.

I have a few new ideas to try.

ASk the doc if there are any psych meds that can be given as a shot every two weeks. Ask if there are any meltaways.

Some pharmacies that deal with kids a lot mix meds into delicious things. My dad never got to that, but he'd have taken anything in rootbeer.

Our local Walgreens drug store (so I assume all of them) will add flavor to liquid medicines. They have a lot of different flavors. I don't know if this is an option for you, but if it is, maybe you can find a flavor your mom likes? Or at least, switch the tastes around? When my DS was a toddler, he had to be on liquid antibiotics daily for 18 months. I had the bubble gum flavor added, and that was the only way to get the meds down him.

Good luck!

Michelle T