Menu

Can you sew on an airplane?

I used to do cross stitch a lot, and even when scissors of any kind were not allowed on planes, having a few needles were never a problem. At the time, many cross stitchers would take nail clippers (minus the file) or a box of dental floss (the thing for cutting the dental floss would work for cutting thread too) to nip threads with, and then just neaten it up with scissors when they got to their destination.

The TSA info that was on airline websites when we flew in January said that blunt tipped scissors below a certain length was allowed. I think that would rule out some cuticle scissors as well as those cute embroidery scissors shaped like birds. What would matter would be the pointy tip, not the blade length. You can always try with a small pair of kids scissors that you won't be too upset to lose.

I would put them in my liquids bag so they were out in the open when I went through screening. (But I do like the dental floss container idea.)

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Comprehensive list of what can be carried on and checked.

DD takes blunt scissors all the time. Funny thing I have fingernail clippers in the bottom of my toiletries bag and they never get checked. The checkers aren't very consistent across the country :glare:

Edited by readwithem