Menu

Experience with hypoallergenic dogs?

I don't know if this would work with dogs but when we got our cat, we washed her daily for the first month or so. Then we started to wash her weekly. Eventually we stopped washing her. The daily washings were to keep the dander level down for the benefit of my dh who is allergic. We were able to stop the daily washings over time because my dh became acclimated to her. He did not allergy symptoms around her but any other cat would bring out his symptoms!

I don't know if this would work with dogs but when we got our cat, we washed her daily for the first month or so. Then we started to wash her weekly. Eventually we stopped washing her. The daily washings were to keep the dander level down for the benefit of my dh who is allergic. We were able to stop the daily washings over time because my dh became acclimated to her. He did not allergy symptoms around her but any other cat would bring out his symptoms!

I'd love to have a cat, but I had no idea that there was a method of dealing with cats and allergies. I must say that I'm not sure I'm up to washing a cross cat every day!

Thanks

Laura

We have a 5 1/2 yr old toy poodle. He is a wonderful pet. I like him so much better than our big dogs. He doesn't shed or produce a lot of dander (our big dogs I ended up making outdoor dogs b/c I couldn't stand the hair anymore). Our toy is only 4 lbs, my sister has one that is larger (I think he is about 10 lbs) She really loves hers too.

but that might have been because they got weekly baths rather than really being "hypo-allergenic" :) Cleanliness is super important. Short hair is good. Small size helps.

Many terriers don't have short hair. I've heard that many people with allergies have luck with poodles - maybe because they get groomed often?

Think about trainability too.

but that might have been because they got weekly baths rather than really being "hypo-allergenic" :) Cleanliness is super important. Short hair is good. Small size helps.

Many terriers don't have short hair. I've heard that many people with allergies have luck with poodles - maybe because they get groomed often?

Think about trainability too.

For a start, how do you pronounce the name?

I do like the idea of a dog that doesn't bark, and they sound very clean, but I'm not sure that they would be a good match. The breed description talked about them being very active/playful at home. Needing a lot of exercise is fine - we (I!) like to go for long walks anyway - but I'd rather have a calmer presence at home. Does that sound like a bad fit?

I was looking at Border Terriers - short, wiry hair; easy temperament; etc. Not the most attractive dog, but that's secondary for me.

Laura

I was looking at Border Terriers - short, wiry hair; easy temperament; etc. Not the most attractive dog, but that's secondary for me.

My best dog ever was a poodle mix -- possibly peke-a-poo or lhasa-poo. They are small dogs with poodle hair, good temperaments, intelligent and trainable, sociable with people. One thing I liked about this dog was that his fur was very soft -- very cuddly. I think the coat of a terrier is pretty coarse to the touch. Poodle hair is very soft, plus you have the option of keeping it short or letting it go longer.

My best dog ever was a poodle mix -- possibly peke-a-poo or lhasa-poo. They are small dogs with poodle hair, good temperaments, intelligent and trainable, sociable with people. One thing I liked about this dog was that his fur was very soft -- very cuddly. I think the coat of a terrier is pretty coarse to the touch. Poodle hair is very soft, plus you have the option of keeping it short or letting it go longer.

One site said to look at the temperament of both sides of the 'family' with a mixed dog, and I thought poodles were rather highly strung. Am I wrong about that?

Laura

One site said to look at the temperament of both sides of the 'family' with a mixed dog, and I thought poodles were rather highly strung. Am I wrong about that?

Laura

It's the toy poodles that have the reputation of being high strung. They were bred for smallness. Miniature poodles are mid-sized and tend to be stable and friendly. Standard poodles (the largest) are salt-of-the-earth types. I'm quite sure that my best dog was half miniature poodle.

Aside from breed temperament, there are many variations within a breed. That's why, if you're buying a puppy, it's a good idea to visit with the mother dog and see how the puppy has been socialized by humans. I think the best situation is when the puppies are raised in the house with humans, not just brought from their kennel to socialize with humans for an hour a day.

I'm allergic to dogs and cats but tolerate my 2 poodle mixes very well with virtually no symptoms. We have a labradoodle and a cockapoo. The cockapoo is small and her fur feels so soft, almost like feathers. She seems to be the more hypoallergenic of the two. She does does shed at all, but the labradoodle does a lot. He occasionally makes my eyes water, but it's manageable. At one time we had a toy poodle and I did okay with her, too, though I didn't like her personality.

My cousin is also very allergic, but has a yorkiepoo who is very small, smart and adorable.

I found some good information at dogbreedinfo.com and by googling dogs and allergies. There are lots of lists on the internet of breeds that work better for allergic people.

Good Luck

We didn't wash the cats (or dog), but for a month my dh was a bit on the miserable side. After that, he was acclimated to our 2 cats & chocolate lab. He couldn't have the cats up in his lap or anything (not that he'd want to anyway!), but the hair/dander around the house didn't bother him much after a while. We do vacuum frequently, and also the bedroom is a "no pet" zone so at least he can sleep with no hair around. Other people's cats still bother him.

We got the cats about 16 years ago (they've since died), and our dog is going strong and just turned 12. We're looking forward to seeing the ol' gal! :)

They are a cute little dog that I associate with the circus-jumping through hoops and such.

i have talked to a few breeders and they are energetic and can be litter box trained. A very nice feature. And since they are little that means little bad breath and little messes- a big plus. However, the men in this family have a different idea for a family dog...

A newfoundland, old english bull dogge, labs. i really like those big guys, but I don't think I would want that in my house.

cheri

by the way my cousin had a bichon and had allergies but did not have a problem with her bichon.

Our poodle is not a yippie, hyper dog. He is much calmer than our huge (80+ lb) mutts. My sister's as well. I was talking to dh about this, and he said that my sister's dog is too quiet but is old. I laughed b/c her toy is only 1 1/2!! I think thatthey are getting a bad rap. ;)

What ever breed you do decide to go with, I second the suggestion that you meet and interview the breeder and observe the behavior of the parents.

Our Yorkie isn't hyper either. She is very calm and quiet in the house unless she feels like we are being threatened, then she is three pounds of protection!

The only time she barks is when someone comes over. She stops as soon as she has smelled them, and they have said hi to her. She is very loving to all of us, including the baby.

I was a little surprised by how well she accepted the baby, but the day I brought her home they slept on a pillow on my lap together, curled up head to toe like twins.

I have allergies, but our YorkiePoo (Yorkie-Poodle mix) is perfect for me! He doesn't shed and has caused no allergic reactions. I always grew up with black Labs and was wary of getting a "yippy" dog, but he is not "yippy" at all. He has a lot of energy - for about 30 min. twice a day. Other than that he is the perfect lap dog. He sits in my lap most of the morning while I teach, sleeps on the sofa most of the afternoon, and sleeps on DH's lap most of the evening. He's so great that we are even considering another!!!

When it comes to hypoallergenic Bichons truly fit. My friend's son-in-law has SEVERE allergies. After doing much research she got a Bichon through Bichon rescue. He has no reaction to the dog! They are expensive, need to be brushed and groomed frequently, are stubborn, good with kids, and also very happy. But they do settle down after a few minutes of play. She really loves her dog and has worked to train him. He's even done agility! Knees are a problem, so make sure you buy from a reputable breeder.

Poodles are really a good breed too if you buy from a breeder who does not have hyper ones. Yorkies have knee problems too, so make sure your breeder is testing for slipping patellas.

HTH!

Kisa

The cockapoo is small and her fur feels so soft, almost like feathers. She seems to be the more hypoallergenic of the two.

Good Luck

I'm pretty sure my favorite dog was a cockapoo. Looking at puppies, the lhassa-poo looks similar. Mine was a mutt, so I could only guess at his heritage. :) Wonderful dog.

We had a labradoodle for about a month before we found her another home. We got her from a family who was looking for a hypoallergenic dog. They took the pick of the litter from a breeder, choosing the most poodle-looking puppy of the lot. But she still had too much lab in her, and their son ended up allergic. We took her, hoping for a non-shedding dog, but once again the lab in her won out and she was a horrific shedder. She was also quite hyper, and I don't think she was very well socialized (she was just about 1 yo when we got her) because we couldn't bring her anywhere without having her go nuts.

If I were going to get another dog, I'd probably try a terrier.

I have allergies. Cats and dogs both are the issue.

But the dog Basenji breed has not caused my allergies to start back up.

You might want to check them out. They're unique.

But I would not recommend them for toddlers or babies.

JWSJ