Menu

About that satellite shoot-down...

Ria

Some of you may remember that I've posted a few times about my dad being involved in the Navy's Aegis-based ballistic missile defense program. Well, that's the system that shot down the satellite last night. We are pretty tickled about it over here.

Go Navy!!

You may now return to your regular programming.

Ria

Some of you may remember that I've posted a few times about my dad being involved in the Navy's Aegis-based ballistic missile defense program. Well, that's the system that shot down the satellite last night. We are pretty tickled about it over here.

Go Navy!!

You may now return to your regular programming.

Ria

I am so glad the hit it on the first attempt. It sends a message, KWIM? :cool:

Heather

When we saw the footage this morning on the news my kids were going nuts! They thought it was the coolest thing the Navy had ever done!

Coby came up to me later and said, "Mom, I bet the Army-Navy game is going to have a lot more Navy fans this year"

I was rolling.

I can't wait to hear if Drew got to observe it. He's out there in the general area from what I understand.

Your Dad must be thrilled.

Jo

Well, I don't want to sound too negative, but while it does send a message, you have to realize they shot something down that they were in complete tracking control of. It's a totally different situation to another country setting off something unexpectedly and the US having to shoot it down instantly...that's much more difficult and hard to practice. It's still an amazing feat, tho, no disrespect to the Navy.

Actually, they've done this very thing for years with dummy ballistic missiles. In fact, during the tests all the ships know is that a missile will be fired within a certain time period. Trajectory, etc. are unknown. The system locates the target in space, locks on, and sends a missile to intercept, all within seconds. The reason the ships have to know that the missile is coming is because the US has to clear the air and ocean space for several thousand square miles, lest anything go wrong. Of all the armed services, the Navy's ballistic missile defense system is the most reliable.

Ria