Menu

We finally decided what to get ds for his 16th bday now I need suggestions.

lynn

We decided to get him a lap top. We need one that will meet his college needs as well as his hobby of creating programs and games. Any input welcome. We are able to spend about $400 but he said he'll put in another $100+ to be sure we get something that will get him through college.

Edited by lynn

Is he a junior in HS? (or sophomore? i didn't turn 16 till my junior year! LOL!!)

In all honesty, there is no way a $5-600 computer will make it thru the next six+ years. Writing games will suck everything out of it, and in that area, if it's his major he will want/need to upgrade to newer graphics and such. And they plain are not built to last that long in that price range.

I"d shop the refurb section at _______ (Dell? i'm an Apple girl) and get the most you can get for it. NOt so much the biggest drive or RAM, but the fastest processor and graphics you can swing. Make sure it will take 4gb of RAM, but the RAM and hard drive can be upgraded later - you can't easily do that in a laptop.

I suggest a TON of research into the project before you buy.

Is he a junior in HS? (or sophomore? i didn't turn 16 till my junior year! LOL!!)

In all honesty, there is no way a $5-600 computer will make it thru the next six+ years. Writing games will suck everything out of it, and in that area, if it's his major he will want/need to upgrade to newer graphics and such. And they plain are not built to last that long in that price range.

I"d shop the refurb section at _______ (Dell? i'm an Apple girl) and get the most you can get for it. NOt so much the biggest drive or RAM, but the fastest processor and graphics you can swing. Make sure it will take 4gb of RAM, but the RAM and hard drive can be upgraded later - you can't easily do that in a laptop.

I suggest a TON of research into the project before you buy.

Thanks Tracy. I did not think it was going to take so much thinking through but I am quickly realizing I am wrong. I thought about refurb with the understanding he'll have to upgrade to get through college. Do you get more with an Apple or is it about the same for all computers?

My ds just spent $1300 on the absolute rock-bottom-of-the-pile laptop for gamers, and of course he needed it for school, too. He did buy new because he needs the warranty as he's a bit rough on laptops, which we have never provided, much to his dismay. ;) He'll drop another $400 to upgrade the chip in the fall if he makes enough money this summer to cover all of his expenses.

While shopping with him, I saw a few that would meet ~my~ needs in your price range but programmers need the best CPU they can get, from what I understand.

Getting a laptop can be a goal for the young computer aficionado to work toward and save money for. The birthday money could be his seed money. :001_smile:

Georgia

My ds just spent $1300 on the absolute rock-bottom-of-the-pile laptop for gamers, and of course he needed it for school, too. He did buy new because he needs the warranty as he's a bit rough on laptops, which we have never provided, much to his dismay. ;) He'll drop another $400 to upgrade the chip in the fall if he makes enough money this summer to cover all of his expenses.

While shopping with him, I saw a few that would meet ~my~ needs in your price range but programmers need the best CPU they can get, from what I understand.

Getting a laptop can be a goal for the young computer aficionado to work toward and save money for. The birthday money could be his seed money. :001_smile:

Georgia[/quote

We'll have grandpa chip in some so he can get what he wants and needs.