Menu

Would you visit Winnipeg, Canada?

*LC

What would you do there or near there?

We have an opportunity to visit Winnipeg later this year. It would be a long flight with young kids, so I'm not sure if I want to take advantage of the opportunity.

I know nothing about Winnipeg. In looking online, I see it has a lot of cultural opportunties, but I'd be with kids too young to appreciate the ballet, the symphony, etc. Is it an area with interesting geography or with flat plains.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Laura C.

Winnipeg (AKA Winterpeg) is the bane of my existence. I hate Winnipeg. I avoid going there if at all humanly possible. Don't let that deter you though -- my loathing is largely a political statement against Perimeteritis. ;)

However, it does have great stuff for kids. You didn't mention when you might go, so check to make sure that things are open. Some places are seasonal.

Manitoba Children's Museum www.childrensmuseum.com/

Manitoba Theatre for Young People www.mtyp.ca

The two above are both right by The Forks www.theforks.com where there are tons of things to do -- shopping, restaurants, the river events, ice skating, the IMAX, etc.

Then, there is the Assiniboine Zoo www.zoosociety.com

The Manitoba Museum (they have a cool science gallery and planetarium) www.manitobamuseum.ca

And, the Fort Whyte Centre www.fortwhyte.org

If you're going in the spring/summer there is:

Tinkertown (amusement park) www.tinkertown.mb.ca

Fun Mountain (water park) www.funmountain.ca

There is no interesting geography around Winnipeg, unless you feel that being able to see snow for miles on end interesting. It's flat. Flatter than flat. It couldn't possible be more flat. In Winnipeg, though, there are the rivers. If you go to the Forks, the rivers look interesting from there. Driving around Winnipeg is umm... stupid. Yes, that's the word I'm looking for. The roads wind along the rivers and corners are sometimes not where you would expect them to be. One infamous corner is Portage & Main, known locally as "Confusion Corner." I'm not kidding. That's how the newscasters refer to it, too. So, I would recommend taxi service or, if you can decipher bus schedules, then the public buses are reliable.

Edited by Audrey

It is a two hour drive from here and I look for excuse *not* to go. I would suggest that you save your money and go somewhere else when they get older or do something local.

The geography is bland...but if you come from a totally different region maybe it would amaze you. The crime rates are getting higher. I really have not seen activities which are a big draw. The only reason I would go is to visit family...and then I'd try to make it worth my while by taking in as many activities as possible. Apparently, there are excellent resaurants there (Indian and Thai) but your children may not like them.