Menu

What would YOU have done??

I need to set my question up for you :)

Last year, on a curriculum message board I met a local woman. She shared about her homeschool group-and then I joined. She also shared her blog with me.....I've enjoyed reading it ever since. I also recently started my own blog.

Ok....so on this ladies blog, she lists other blogs(including mine). I started casually reading a couple of the blogs(off and on). I realized that one of the blog writers also belongs to the homeschool group that I joined. Last night, I went to a homeschool meeting(for the moms). I met a woman and realized that I read her blog. So, I told her..." I feel like I know you, I read your blog." I told her that I found it off of so and so's blog. All she said was "oh". I tried chatting with her and then gave up.

My question is....Should I NOT have told her that I read her blog???

I'm also wondering if, maybe, she reads my blog and just did not say anything. I can tell from my stat counter that local people are reading.

I don't see anything wrong with telling her - if she doesn't want her blog read by people, then she should make it private. ;)

Maybe she was just having an off night - know what I mean? She might have had other things on her mind.... or, she might be shy - I'm like that...chatty as a coffee drinking parrot when I'm emailing, blogging, rattling around message boards, etc...not so much in person cuz I'm shy. :)

I've had people come up to me and ask if I'm Trivium Academy at homeschooling events. It is a little unnerving that a stranger in front of me saying they know me. Especially if they tell me that I've been an inspiration or driving force in their homeschool... :blush:

It's hard to talk to someone who says they know you when it is evident they don't b/c I'm not just my blog or WTM board member. I wouldn't mention anyone's blog unless you have a direct question about it, something to actually talk about. I only mention my blog to others if I have a resource listed or linked that would be of help to them, I don't mention it in casual, get to know you conversation.

It's a very strange thing, my blog is out there for everyone to see yet it's my own private place. I feel so insignificant in the vastness of the blog world, that and I guess I get a little embarrassed saying I have a blog unless there is a purpose for it.

p.s. My family (parents and such) don't even know I have a blog, I asked my mom if she'd like to be able to access pictures of the kids online and she said no so I figured there wasn't a reason to share. I am the same in life as I am online, albeit a little bit more opinionated online. :lol:

That's just my take,

Edited by Trivium Academy

I don't see anything wrong with telling her - if she doesn't want her blog read by people, then she should make it private. ;)

Maybe she was just having an off night - know what I mean? She might have had other things on her mind.... or, she might be shy - I'm like that...chatty as a coffee drinking parrot when I'm emailing, blogging, rattling around message boards, etc...not so much in person cuz I'm shy. :)

I agree, it was okay to tell her that you read her blog. I always thought that blogs were meant to be read by other people! I agree also, that she was probably shy.

Some people use the internet for communication, but are not so great in person. I recall a most eloquent poster on a cooking group. He wrote about chocolate and coffee in a most passionate and sensual way. I happened to be going to Canada and offered to pick up some non-instant, full fat milk powder for him. We met, my ex and I, him in a coffee shop in a very public place. He couldn't make eye contact and mumbled a few words, handed me exact monies, took the bag and fled. He was also extremely tall, extremely thin, extremely pale, and had a very, very thick Scots accent.

I learned a lot from him and the internet. I have since come to know that there is research into shyness and face-to-face content because of how some people have simply blossomed on line.

Me, I sound exactly the same verbally as I do in print (or so I've been told), but there are many people who wear a different persona on-line. Don't take her lukewarmness personally. :)

Thanks for sharing your views all!

I'm shy too--I totally stepped out of my comfort zone by telling her.

My thought was that I would have felt so weird knowing so many things about her(because of what she has shared on her blog) but then pretending that I did not know her.

Should I send her some sort of email explaining that I feel silly having mentioned her blog? Or, would that be just making things worse??