Menu

Note to the owl who wakes me at 5:30 every morning

We just released a second screech owl from rehabilitation on our property in the hope that we have released both a male and female. While owls do an admirable job of eating rodents in the area, owlets consume massive quantities of food. One year when there was a Great Horned Owl's nest at the end of the street, the entire squirrel population was reduced.

Consider your honored that an owl is making his home near you.

Jane (who loves owls as Yvette knows)

I can't believe they eat creatures as large as squirrels! I'm going to have to up my offer.

In stories, owls are always shone at night, but our owl friend does his hooting all morning. If I take the kids out at 9am, he/she is very vocal.

It is mating season for owls so they may be a bit noisier than usual right now.

Great horned owls will also eat rabbits--even skunks. You need to dissect an owl pellet with Smarty Pants one of these days.

It is mating season for owls so they may be a bit noisier than usual right now.

Great horned owls will also eat rabbits--even skunks. You need to dissect an owl pellet with Smarty Pants one of these days.

Mating season? I see. It has definately been louder for the last two weeks.

So do you think ours is a great horned owl? I've never see it.

I love owls. We had one fly into my windshield and get injured. We kept it at our house for a day until we tracked down a rehabber to take it. It was a Barred Owl.

Oh, poor thing. I'm glad you found someone to care for it.

A Barred owl. Neat. You folks in NC need to send a mate for this lonely creature in my trees!:001_wub:

Mating season? I see. It has definately been louder for the last two weeks.

So do you think ours is a great horned owl? I've never see it.

You should be able to determine what kind of owl is around on the basis of its call. The Owl Pages website has a number of recordings. Great horned owls have a loud and distinctive "hooooo hoo-hoo" sound which can be loud. You may think the owl is in your living room when it is actually several hundred yards from the house.

I can sympathize. We had a group of screech owls (I'm talking more than 10 here) take over a couple palm trees in an apartment complex we once lived in. Oh, the noise!! It went on for months, and so many people complained that animal control came and relocated them. :001_huh:

Hmmm...I'd much rather have owls than mice. And if so many owls were so content to be in the area, there had to be an abundant food supply for them.

You should be able to determine what kind of owl is around on the basis of its call. The Owl Pages website has a number of recordings. Great horned owls have a loud and distinctive "hooooo hoo-hoo" sound which can be loud. You may think the owl is in your living room when it is actually several hundred yards from the house.

We've been out this morning for an hour.

He definately does one long hoo followed by two short, lower pitched hoos.

hoooooooo(the pitch rises at the end) hoo-hoo.

But we heard another one with a very different sound. Two loud shrills. It could have been another type of bird altogether.

I'm going to let Smartypants listen to your Owl Pages link when she finishes grammar to see if we can identify them.

and listened to all the calls of species that are commonly found in VA(according to the VA Game and Inland Fisheries website).

The closest we can find is the Great Horned Owl call that says "Pair calling". The only difference is, ours has a longer hoot in the first part, and the pitch rises at the end.

The new bird we heard this morning is definately the great horned owl "Squawk" (Wild male Victor).