Menu

SO: Do you wear shoes in hotel rooms?

My mom has been gone for 15 1/2 years, but this thread made me smile remembering her.

Not only did we have to wear shoes in the motel rooms, thongs (yes, I know they're flip-flops now) in the shower, but my mom, bless her heart, also brought her own sheets.

When I was little, we were forbidden from having the blanket or bedspread touch our face or body. When I asked why, she said there may be boogers on it.

Ahem, I was little.

I do not wear shoes in motel rooms until I have showered and put them on. I do not wear thongs (sorry, flip-flops!) in the shower, and I never take my own sheets.

I do, however, adhere to mom's advice on not touching the blanket. lol

My husband travels for his job so he is in a hotel half of the week and we occasionally go with him. I'm a freak about the rooms. We absolutely won't go barefoot and I instantly strip the beds when we get there, down to the sheets, and then we sleep in sleeping bags on top of the sheets.

This all came about when my friend became hotel manager of a pretty nice hotel chain. She confided in me that they save money by washing blankets and comforters only when they are visibly dirty or every couple months. If there has been an accident in the beds they don't do anything to the mattress other than flip it (what happens if there are two accidents in the same bed?). Also, if there are two beds in a room and it "appears" that only one has been slept in they don't require sheet changes on the second bed. Makes you hope the person before you didn't tidy up their own bed after sleeping in it naked! :001_huh: That was enough info to make me not want to touch things.

Yeah, that too, CSI being my favorite show(s).:eek:

I don't use the glasses in hotel rooms, either, unless they're the disposable, shrink-wrapped plastic cups.

That's what I thought. I took several legal ivestigation classes in college and most people would be absolutely amazed at how really nasty the rooms are. If you took a blacklight to a room, every surface would light up. Sheets are usually ok as they are washed and bleached in really hot water between each room change. If they don't have disposable glassrd, bring your own. We bring our own pillows and blankets. Socks are worn in the room. I do not wear flip flops in the bathroom as they are usually pretty well cleaned and sanitized.

Edited by KidsHappen

I go barefoot in hotel rooms, lobbies, hallways without a second thought. I drink freely from the glasses and cups. I sleep in the beds as they are with no worries about blood or semen residue, boogers, or any other bodily fluids left behind. I'm not talking flophouses here, just your run of the mill chain hotels and motels.

As for socks absorbing gray ick from the carpet, face it, folks. Having a carpeted floor (and I do have some of those although not by my choice) is like having underwear that you cannot remove and toss in the washer. I would not expect an air sucking machine and spot cleaning to render underwear sanitized anymore than I would expect it to result in perpetually fresh, clean carpet.

That's what I thought. I took several legal ivestigation classes in college and most people would be absolutely amazed at how really nasty the rooms are. If you took a blacklight to a room, every surface would light up. Sheets are usually ok as they are washed and bleached in really hot water between each room change. If the do have disposable glass, bring your own. We bring our own pillows and blankets. Socks are worn in the room. I do not wear flip flops in the bathroom as they are usually pretty well cleaned and sanitized.

My house could double as a disco hall if I had a large enough blacklight.

The feet thing does not bother me too much, but we strip bed covers from the beds as soon as we walk in and stash them under the beds. We are staying in one on Thursday evening this week and I will ask for extra sheets to cover the blankets so the kids can at least sit on the beds without me freaking out.

It depends on the standard of the room. But yes usually I happily walk around barefoot. Including out of the room and to the pool etc. I drink from the glasses etc too.

I'm not a germophobe I guess. Like Laura I think a few challenges to our systems are a good thing.

Edited by keptwoman

The feet thing does not bother me too much, but we strip bed covers from the beds as soon as we walk in and stash them under the beds. We are staying in one on Thursday evening this week and I will ask for extra sheets to cover the blankets so the kids can at least sit on the beds without me freaking out.

Do you then let the housekeeper know that you have put them on the floor/under the never vacuumed under bed so they can be washed??

I never was freaked at the places i've stayed, but honestly - the thought that all kinds of people are taking the covers off and stashing them under the bed grosses me out.

On my rare occasions in hotel rooms I wear shoes and bring my own blanket to use on top of theirs. And I never sit my toothbrush down on the sink!

I figure my immune system gets enough of a workout going to Walmart twice a week, the library, post office, dd's ballet, church, the kids' bathroom....:001_smile:

Do you then let the housekeeper know that you have put them on the floor/under the never vacuumed under bed so they can be washed??

I never was freaked at the places i've stayed, but honestly - the thought that all kinds of people are taking the covers off and stashing them under the bed grosses me out.

Never occurred to me to say anything really. I do not stuff them completely under a bed I suppose, but I do my best to put them out of the way so the kids to not get to them. Mostly hidden between a wall and the bed, half under the bed really. Besides the housekeeper can see where they are when they come in to clean the room.

Edited by Melenie

I haven't stayed in a hotel for about 14 years now... camping, yes...hotels, no...

However - I remember taking my shoes off by the door and just wearing my socks. (I never go barefoot except in and out of the bath, that's just me) I don't remember being freaked out by ideas of germs or anything, so I no doubt used the dishes and touched the dorrknobs and slept in the bed and all that. :)

Ignorance is Bliss :D

I wear shoes into the room and happily take them off to go barefoot throughout the whole darn hotel. Even into the shower and pool.

We also used the dishes in the kitchenette ;)

Same here. I'm not reading anymore lest I start packing bedding, pillows, towels, etc. for every trip.

Janet

I too wear flip-flops in the shower and around the hotel room.

You have to watch very carefully to see if they even change the sheets. Last summer on vacation in South Dakota, the sheets were definitely not changed at a certain hotel. I called up the hotel manager and she came and changed them for me. I felt that she wasn't surprised. It made me wonder how often this happens, that the guests complain that the sheets aren't changed.

This wasn't at a cheap motel, either.

My mother and sister worked at a summer job in a town in Wyoming a few years ago. They were not allowed to change the bedspreads or blankets unless they were visibly soiled. Before that, I thought that the motels/hotels changed the sheets, blankets, bedspreads, etc. between every customer. How wrong I was, lol! You never see any blankets, bedspreads on the cleaning carts in the halls (in any of the hotels or motels) in the mornings when you are leaving......

I have stayed in dozens of hotel rooms and never worry about anything there. I never get sick so must have one strong immune system.

On sorta the same note, we have a friend (male) that for the last 10 years has spent about 2 weeks every summer with us. He will NOT eat one meal in our house because we have cats. So, at his insistance, he takes us, the entire family. out to restuarants every meal (he can afford it). so I get 2 weeks of not cooking and lots of nice restaurant meals. He even brings his own water bottles so he does not have to drink out of our glasses lol. He is a nice guy just a little weird about our cats and obviously does not think that my house keeping in up to par. He just got married, finally, he is in his late 40's and next summer will get a hotel room for himself and his wife (we don't have a guest room, all these years, he had just slept on our sofa but of course his wife can not do that, also she does not know us. By the way, he does not and never has had any pets.

This thread really made me laugh! I thought I, and well my mother, were in the minority about being anal about these types of things.

I do all of the above mentioned things, I wear shoes or socks the entire time, strip the bed of the comforter and bring our own pillows, do not use the glasses. I do not bring sheets or wear flip flops in the shower though. We always keep our suitcases up off the floor as well.

My mom always takes it one step further and brings disinfectant wipes and wipes down the remote, phone, light switches and door handles. They always say on special germ investigation shows that these are the main harborers of the cold and flu viruses.

When I was a teen I traveled with my best friend and her parents. We laughed at her mother for bringing the Lysol spray to disinfect the hotel room. Then several years ago I watched a report on some news program (maybe Primetime or something like that) that showed some pretty disgusting video of what they found on hotel room walls, bedspreads, chairs, etc: body fluids. Yuck!!!!!!!! Now I bring disinfectant wipes and wipe the remote control, door handles, phone, light switches, etc. We all wear shoes or slipper socks and we wear flip flops in the shower. We don't sit on the bedspread but pull it down out of the way. I don't use the glasses or coffeemaker.

I'm in the new minority of "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger," I guess. I figure my immune system's pretty tough, and the kids haven't had any issues, either. We do go barefoot in hotels, even into the pool area. I do strip the covers off the beds because they just feel nasty, but that's about it. I've never used a hotel phone or sanitized anything. I know what *could* be there, but compared to conditions 100 years ago in hotels, I figure I'll take what I can get.

My mom always takes it one step further and brings disinfectant wipes and wipes down the remote, phone, light switches and door handles. They always say on special germ investigation shows that these are the main harborers of the cold and flu viruses.

Yep! I do this too! LOL

And I wear shoes in the room too - after staying in a hotel where our socks got BLACK from walking around in them.

I'm curious if all of you who take protective measures in hotel rooms do the same in other public places?

Do you sit in movie theater seats? Use public restrooms? Eat from restaurant dishes? Swim in community pools?

Or come to my job, where the janitorial staff has been told they don't have to clean any of the employee areas. My office, due to a hole, has bird droppings in it. I vacuum every week or so, and there is always lots of droppings. (So much for those cushie state worker jobs, try mine with a pool on urine in the elevator).

It had never occurred to me to wear shoes in a motel. I have have reached the age where I don't take off my shoes until beddie time, but I do get up in the morning. Hummmm....I'll have to try the white sock test.

....that showed some pretty disgusting video of what they found on hotel room walls, bedspreads, chairs, etc: body fluids. Yuck!!!!!!!!

yeah... the hotel we checked into up the street from Quantico for my li'l bro's MC OCS graduation had a sign at check-in that said "no refunds after 15 minutes"......:lol:

i do think the term "bodily fluids" and "germs" creep people out more than is warranted. BUT! we all have our persnickety issues: I wouldn't let my kids ride a bike out of sight, and they all go in the bathrooms w/ me, but I don't mind exposing them to the possibilities of colds, viruses and other stuff. By the time we get there w/ our He-Man immune systems, what's left is likely pretty hard [for us] to catch.