Menu

Hebrew

beansprouts

I have two children 7 and 8yrs who for the past year have been using Rosetta Stone Hebrew and are making progress. However, I consider that their conversational Hebrew. For reading and writing (which RS has, but I don't use-I don't really like it) I am starting to use a program that works well for ages 5 to adult called " Sarah,David and You Read Hebrew" by Diana Yacobi and Lily Yacobi. The website is http://www.sarahdavid.com. It comes with a CD with really catchy songs of the aleph-bet and a book that goes with it, plus the regular type of workbooks. My daughter especially likes it and has all the songs memorized-which is really something because before it was always such a struggle.

For myself (and sometimes with the kids) I use a program called, "Teach Yourself to Read Hebrew-Revised Edition" by Ethelyn Simon and Joseph Anderson. It is written for adults (a little too dry and to the point for kids- which of course really works well for me and time-contraints). I highly recommend it. It comes with tapes to listen to and follow along. Helps a lot with the pronounciation.

Also, as an aside I must say that overall I am not all that impressed with Rosetta Stone. Their customer service is great, but the program is frustrating for my kids. I am thinking of switching to an online option directly from Israel where you have a tutor teach the kids. I haven't done any research on it yet ( I keep meaning to get to it!) but a friend of my husbands says that their 8yr old loves it and is becoming quite fluent.

HTH,

Trish

I really like http://www.hebrewresources.com/viewpage.php?page_id=57

We used "At Home with Hebrew" for a year and a half. It is perfect for painlessly learning the Hebrew alphabet, the marks, pronounciations, and reading printing and cursive. It doesn't teach much in the way of vocabulary, but if your goal is to read Hebrew this is definitely a great place to start. My youngest was 6 when he started it.

I have two children 7 and 8yrs who for the past year have been using Rosetta Stone Hebrew and are making progress. However, I consider that their conversational Hebrew. For reading and writing (which RS has, but I don't use-I don't really like it) I am starting to use a program that works well for ages 5 to adult called " Sarah,David and You Read Hebrew" by Diana Yacobi and Lily Yacobi. The website is www.sarahdavid.com. It comes with a CD with really catchy songs of the aleph-bet and a book that goes with it, plus the regular type of workbooks. My daughter especially likes it and has all the songs memorized-which is really something because before it was always such a struggle.

This type of curriculum would be perfect for us. My older two children are ready to read and write, and my little one can start learning the songs.

I have a Rosetta Stone sampler CD, and my kids found it to be rather dry.

I don't know where you live, but I'm wondering if some Temples would allow you to learn greek at Temple. My mom was looking into studying Latin at from the Guy who teaches for the men studying to be Priests... in town... It'd be cool to study with other serious students...

Of course, at Temple....maybe your kids could start with the other little kids....I'm not Jewish...but I'd check into it. I use to nanny for a Jewish family and I can imagine that it might happen. I loved learning about Jewish history...I loved the kids doing things like hearing the story of Esther and how Haman was bad...etc.

Carrie

Here's a link to a previous thread with some ideas :001_smile:

If you're looking for a fun and relatively easy place to begin learning Hebrew yourself, try The First Hebrew Primer published by EKS. It provides a simple introduction to Biblical Hebrew, with guided reading in the book of Ruth. Follow with the First Hebrew Reader.

For a more scholarly resource, try Biblical Hebrew by Kittel. Here's a link to the second edition. After that, you might want to tackle Readings in Biblical Hebrew.

Depending upon the ages of your dc, you will also find some kid friendly materials from Behrman House linked in my signature line.

Edited by ELaurie