Menu

Galore Park English

Elinor Everywhere

Has anyone had time to use the English from GP, and NOT liked it? I'm thinking of using So You Really Want to Learn English, but if you've only used Junior English I'd still like your feedback.

By the way, my dd has just completed Latin Prep 1, and I loved it (she liked it ;) ). Rigorous, yet fun. I also have So You Want to Learn French, but we've been floundering a bit. I think I need to supplement but I'm not sure what to use right now, so French has taken a back seat.

Thanks!

I really can't say we don't like it!

We are using it with both my children. My daughter is a voracious reader and is still enjoying it (and on Book 2). My son has also become a voracious reader, but is quite a different personality type (he is in the middle of Book 1). He really loves it too.

I think you would be hard pushed to find someone who doesn't like it because it manages to be both challenging and engaging without any busy work.

With the French, I would take a bit of time off and supplement for yourself. Try Michel Thomas' eight hour course and move onto the Advanced French to complete your grammar. This should give you more than enough background to tackle to course again. It is also a great lesson in language teaching in itself. It taught me how to teach in all subjects.

I think you would be hard pushed to find someone who doesn't like it because it manages to be both challenging and engaging without any busy work.

With the French, I would take a bit of time off and supplement for yourself. Try Michel Thomas' eight hour course and move onto the Advanced French to complete your grammar. This should give you more than enough background to tackle to course again. It is also a great lesson in language teaching in itself. It taught me how to teach in all subjects.

Lorna,

I have Michel Thomas CD's and love them! I was using them with my dd and we both learned so much, and were able to start speaking to each other right away. My original plan was to alternate days with Michel & FP, but I ended up getting too many supplements and couldn't work the schedule out.

I was trying: Michel, FP, Usborne's Easy French, Easy French Reader, Standard Deviant DVDs, French in Action books & DVDs, Asterix DVDs, and books in French such as The Little Prince & Harry Potter. I guess I thought variety was the spice of life! :rolleyes: Well maybe, but it ended up being paralysis as I couldn't keep it all straight. I prefer to keep things simple, and this was way too much. French became the first thing dropped and we haven't done it since Christmas.

I will take your advice & listen to Michel myself for March (we are off school the entire month), and then start back up again simplifying things by only using Michel (with my dd too) and FP. Once we are farther along we can add in some of my other resources as fun things to do every once in a while.

As to the GP English, thanks for your input. I'm concerned about the writing component--it's not my strong suit and I worry that I won't be able to adequately guide my dd in that aspect of the program. Do you use a separate writing program?

Hi Elinor

I thought I'd repost the email I sent to you, just in case anyone else is wondering the same thing. I'm extremely enthusiastic about both Junior English and English Prep, but I have had the following negative feedback from others:

- writing prompts but no writing instruction

- the books that are excerpted are too mature

- suggested reading list books are hard to find

- spelling/punctuation hard to use (British)

- grammar level is low .....

Laura

We don't use a writing programme and Galore Park really does just give writing suggestions. They are very well thought out suggestions however. My daughter has learned so much from reading good literature and her writing seems excellent to me. I simply evaluate what she has written by asking her to read it aloud (she often self-edits when she hears how it sounds) and making suggestions (and the occasional grammatical correction).I would rather the children spent their time reading good examples of literature and non-fiction writing for just now. The children also write several letters a week and write for pleasure so I am quite content with this. I love the fact that they have their own voice in their writing.

I think it would be very easy to supplement Galore Park with a writing programme to suit you. We are going to supplement with Lightning Literature. The good thing about Galore Park is that is covers so much without being overwhelming and so you can add things if you want a more intense programme without overwhelming your child.

I think it would be very easy to supplement Galore Park with a writing programme to suit you. We are going to supplement with Lightning Literature. The good thing about Galore Park is that is covers so much without being overwhelming and so you can add things if you want a more intense programme without overwhelming your child.

Thanks Lorna, that does help. I think I'll get the first book and see how it goes; it would be a nice change of pace for my dd. She told me last night that she *is* getting a bit tired of R&S, and so am I! :)