Menu

Have you seen the interviews with the Octuplet's mom?

The Today Show has been doing interviews with the Octuplet's mom. She seems bright, well spoken, with her head on her shoulders. But obviously not all is okay with her considering the decisions she's made. I feel sorry for her.

I honestly think she thinks she's Angela Jolie (mannerisms and plastic surgery choices). She is having children to draw attention to herself. Much like Machausin by proxy syndrome. I feel sorry for her children and believe she is delusional.

Just my .02

I honestly think she thinks she's Angela Jolie (mannerisms and plastic surgery choices). She is having children to draw attention to herself. Much like Machausin by proxy syndrome. I feel sorry for her children and believe she is delusional.

Just my .02

:iagree::iagree:

I don't feel sorry for her. I think she's a nut. I feel anger that this happened. Has no one every told this woman NO! I agree she seems educated and well spoken, but she is off her rocker and ripe with irresponsibility of the worst kind - the kind that leaves children at it's mercy.

I don't feel sorry for her. I think she's a nut. I feel anger that this happened. Has no one every told this woman NO! I agree she seems educated and well spoken, but she is off her rocker and ripe with irresponsibility of the worst kind - the kind that leaves children at it's mercy.

Absolutely. She's not even self sufficient or married. What the heck is she thinking? Pretty sad.

I feel sorry for her because of what her childhood must have been like to bring her to this point. It's just sad to me.

Does anyone else think it's ironic that she's now relying on her parents to help her with her children?

Yes, quite. It was interesting...after one of the interviews, Ann Curay (however you spell it) read a statement from Nadya's mom... something along the lines of being tired of helping her raise her children and that it was foolish to get pregnant again. I wonder how long that arrangement will last. The house they showed did not look very big.

Yep I agree....it is almost like she did this JUST for the 'publicity'.....sad indeed.

See, I don't see it that way. She had no idea that many babies would "take". If she had just one or two, she wouldn't have received any publicity... so I don't think she went into it for that reason. Just my opinion.

There's no way for her to be self-sufficient. At a minimum, she will need 3 other full-time people to care for the children, probably more. With 3 other people always available, one could watch the older dc (6 dc under 7!), and two could help her with the babies. One more person would be ideal, to float between helping with the older dc and the babies. Then, is she going to work? When? She will need another full-time person to replace her. She told Ann Curry that there was a day-care center at her school - she would need 8 spots for the same age! Is it going to be subsidized? By whom? If she's in school and not working, who is going to pay for their care/food/clothes/etc? She mentioned student loans - that would require massive amounts of debt. I don't see any way that she can care for the dc by herself until they are all in school, and then maybe she could manage. I wonder if her church is going to provide 3 other people in 8 hour shifts around the clock for a year.

I honestly have no idea what this woman is going to do.

The video I saw of mom was very telling. The house is only 3 bedrooms. They had 6 children and 3 adults there which would have been hard, I would guess. Now they are going to put8 more kids in there? WOW.

Also, there were clothes and such EVERYWHERE.

And grandma was so tired of raising her daughter's kids. She LOOKED tired. And no doubt she would have liked to enjoy her grandkids but had her own life by now. She's just too worn out to raise 14 more kids.

And people can say that Suleman will raise her own kids, but realistically, she'll need some help, especially at first. And especially if she needed so much help with the first 6...8 more?

I really feel sorry for all of them. There just isn't a way to make this right. There is something wrong with that woman...and just as wrong with the doctor (imo). Doctors aren't supposed to implant 6 embryos anymore. And this doctor knew she COULD get pregnant (and has FIVE other times in the last 8 years!).

It's frustrating. None of them will have the lives they should have. Not grandma, mom, kids...I'm FINE with big families. But this is just not a good situation.

Well, she says she did not expect all 6 embryos to "take" based on her previous rounds of IVF that resulted in mostly single births with one pair of twins born (iirc).

But I think that it lies at the crux of the issue. If you implant 6 embryos and statistics say that the chance of all of them taking is remote, the fact is that the chance is there and you have to be prepared for that possibility.

I don't think she expected 8 with the last round of IVF, but here they are. She has a lot on her plate. I can't even imagine it.

It sounds like indeed she was a spoiled child in that nobody has ever told her NO and/or that she could not accept NO in the realm of possibilities for herself.

I kept hearing the words "sweet story" or "compelling" I personally think it it's niether sweet or compelling but extremely selfish. She saved money to have IVF. To me with 6 children who need food, clothing, shelter, medical care etc her choice was irresponsible. But, who am I to tell someone how to spend their money. It is also frustrates and saddens me to no end because my sister and a couple friends in very loving married relationships can not have children.

The video I saw of mom was very telling. The house is only 3 bedrooms. They had 6 children and 3 adults there which would have been hard, I would guess. Now they are going to put8 more kids in there? WOW.

Also, there were clothes and such EVERYWHERE.

And grandma was so tired of raising her daughter's kids. She LOOKED tired. And no doubt she would have liked to enjoy her grandkids but had her own life by now. She's just too worn out to raise 14 more kids.

And people can say that Suleman will raise her own kids, but realistically, she'll need some help, especially at first. And especially if she needed so much help with the first 6...8 more?

I really feel sorry for all of them. There just isn't a way to make this right. There is something wrong with that woman...and just as wrong with the doctor (imo). Doctors aren't supposed to implant 6 embryos anymore. And this doctor knew she COULD get pregnant (and has FIVE other times in the last 8 years!).

It's frustrating. None of them will have the lives they should have. Not grandma, mom, kids...I'm FINE with big families. But this is just not a good situation.

I didn't see the video of them inside the house. Where can I see that? Also, I think it would be wise of her to think about adopting them out. For the children's sake.

The video has been removed from AOL as far as I can tell (they just have the 13 min video of the Today show up now). I think they had it on there from radaronline.com There is a few photos at that website, but it is a whole 'nother thing to see/hear it from grandma, imo.

a warning: For those upset that the children (the older ones) have been shown, these pictures DO include pictures of the older kids.

The Today Show has been doing interviews with the Octuplet's mom. She seems bright, well spoken, with her head on her shoulders. But obviously not all is okay with her considering the decisions she's made. I feel sorry for her.

I feel sorry for her because it's quite clear from watching her that she is pathological. She needs/needed some intervention, a proper psych evaluation and treatment.

He is just a donor but she used the same donor for all 14 kids. Maybe they told him. What an awful position to be put in. You donate, probably thinking you are helping infertile couples and then this happens. Donor nightmare I would think.

I didn't see the interview, but a couple of articles I read said the donor was a friend of hers, not anonymous.

I haven't seen the interviews, but have read the excerpts online.

From what I've read, I like her. She doesn't seem nuttier than anyone else does. She seems articulate and rational. She just wants a lot of kids. And i don't care if she's unmarried. A lot of dads aren't worth having in the house in my personal experience. Better no dad than a bad dad. And she's got the grandpa for a male figure. I'm sure she will get help and find ways to cope and even thrive eventually.

I also don't feel sorry for her, why should I? She seems ok with the situation.

I don't like her mother's comments. I think her mother is disloyal, rude, inflammatory and media-seeking.

And as for the house being messy, so what? i didn't see the video, but the description doesn't seem that different than the way many other houses look, including mine. a neat house isn't always the happiest house. Bunk beds, piles of clothes. So what's the problem....Dysfunction has a lot of different looks and nothing's perfect. And yet we all manage to get through a day.

She seems like a resourceful person and I'm sure she'll find a way to manage. It's her business, not mine or anyone else's. I don't get why a lot of people online (not here, other commentaries) are getting so knotted up about it.

And I do respect her. She didn't expect all the embryos to take. But they did. She didn't selectively eliminate them. Nor did she leave the embryos in a lab to linger and eventually be destroyed. She said these are my children. She created them and she's seeing that they have life. She's taking responsibility for the lives she created from her perspective. Others may see it as pathololgical and the height of irresponsiblity, but that isn't how she sees it.

I wish her and her children happiness.

But her main source of support is her parents, who were not on board with the plan, and feel overburdened themselves. (From what I have read.) She already had six kids and no home/job.

It's one thing for her to have kids with the full support of her parents; it's another thing to go ahead and have more kids, knowing your parents will feel obligated to help you, even though they are already helping with your other six kids, and have stated that they think you shouldn't have more. (I'm basing this on what I've ready, so if I'm wrong, correct me.) That's selfish.

Wendi

I feel sorry for her because it's quite clear from watching her that she is pathological. She needs/needed some intervention, a proper psych evaluation and treatment.

That was my impression. And "spoiling" does not cause pathology (is that the right term?). Pathological persons, or even just persons with extreme personality disorders, can be extremely manipulative. You don't just say "no" to people like this.

Unfortunately, I know more about this than I'd like, from personal experience with my sister.

how in the world with all those kids, no home and no job, she has afforded to have in vitro all these times?? What is up with that?

It's the same with Jon & Kate. I wonder how they could've been SO flat broke after the sextuplets were born when they clearly afforded in vitro twice.

I just don't get it, and, I don't believe it is ANYONE'S responsibility to financially help people who have made (and afforded) these choices.

What gets me (among other things) is that she was supposedly so injured and clinically depressed from the riot that cathmom mentioned, that she was unable to return to work. I read that it was supposedly a severe back injury.

So this is my thing: if you have a severe back injury and depression that has put you on disability, what in god's name are you doing getting 6 embryos implanted for a pregnancy?

I mean, a pregnancy is more stress on your body/back than pretty much any type of work I can think of. Not to mention the psychological aspects...

Sigh. I *work* with mentally ill people and I think this woman is nuts. I agree with one of the above posters that she is pathological; but probably more into the Axis 2 disorders than Axis 1.

asta

(very general)

Axis 1 - mental disorders that have a biological basis (eg: bipolar, obsessive compulsive disorder)

Axis 2 - mental disorders that are not biologically based, but a result of circumstance (eg: borderline personality disorder, antisocial personality disorder)

Here is a short and sweet response.

asta

... if you have a severe back injury and depression that has put you on disability, what in god's name are you doing getting 6 embryos implanted for a pregnancy?

Wasn't it eight embryos that she had implanted? She already had six young children at home.

It's like watching a train wreck: can't stop looking, but you know it won't be a positive outcome.

She is seriously disturbed. If 6 children can't fill her heart and emptiness, how can more babies make it any better? She already relies on her parents, who've made it clear they resent this life she's chosen and want their own lives. What good can come of this?

IMO the best thing she can do for her children is to relinquish the babies to an adoption agency and allow loving financially stable couples to raise her blessings. Maybe she can try again in a few years when she's ready to afford a family. Until then the taxpayers are going to be paying for her selfish, erratic behavior.

It's like watching a train wreck: can't stop looking, but you know it won't be a positive outcome.

She is seriously disturbed. If 6 children can't fill her heart and emptiness, how can more babies make it any better? She already relies on her parents, who've made it clear they resent this life she's chosen and want their own lives. What good can come of this?

IMO the best thing she can do for her children is to relinquish the babies to an adoption agency and allow loving financially stable couples to raise her blessings. Maybe she can try again in a few years when she's ready to afford a family. Until then the taxpayers are going to be paying for her selfish, erratic behavior.

Isn't it funny how they make a point of say she is not getting g'ment assistance. Makes one wonder, who is going to pay the medical bills? Diapers, formula and drs visit are expensive for 1 child X's 8.....no assistance hmmm how will that work?

Isn't it funny how they make a point of say she is not getting g'ment assistance. Makes one wonder, who is going to pay the medical bills? Diapers, formula and drs visit are expensive for 1 child X's 8.....no assistance hmmm how will that work?

Latest news re: gov't assistance

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29110391/?gt1=43001

ETA: I just saw this story and have not yet had a chance to read through.

Since when is financial stability a prerequisite for having children? Let's take away all the children that are currently on WIC. Let's take away all the children from families that are being hit hard by this economic downturn we are going through right now. Let's take away all the children from families making less than $100,000.00 a year. Where does it end?

I've commented before about how much I hate the welfare system that allows generational welfare and supports people who just plain don't want to work, but taking away the children of people who can't afford them is wrong.

You all sit here comfortably in your homes judging this woman for her decisions. Hopefully you've never done anything to make others judge you so harshly. For those of you that are Christians, I've got one question - WWJD?

Yes, this mom may be a bit unstable. But all you are basing your information on is 15 minute sound bites.

Yes, this mom may not be the brightest bulb in the box, but she has said that she is going back to school to finish her degree. Good for her.

Yes, this mom may be a bit irresponsible, but she should be lifted up in prayer and given the help she needs.

Yes, this mom has done something that goes against the norm by having all these children out of wedlock, but she again, should be prayed for not cut down by people who have never met her.

Edited by Parrothead

But, who am I to tell someone how to spend their money.

I haven't read through the rest of this thread, but I feel compelled to point out that those of us who find it irresponsible of this woman to have 14 kids are not telling her how to spend her money, we're objecting to the way she's going to spend our money. There's no way she can support those kids herself. I'd bet my life that it's my tax money paying for their food, their medical care, their day care, their everything for the next 18 years. If she were financially self-sufficient and/or covered by private insurance through her employer (ha!), it would be one thing, but she's not.

Terri

My only thought here is that there comes a time when we must make smart decisions, not based on what we WANT, but based on what is logical and sensible. I do not fault this woman for wanting children and not being married. I could care less! My mom raised me as a single mom and did a darn good job. She worked full time, was never home with me, and my grandmother became like a mom to me, but we won't even count all of that.

The mom in this story has made some really poor decisions and has let her desire and want for more and more children cloud the reality that it is just near impossible to care for that many kids alone. I do realize, and believe, that she had no idea she would have this many kids. It was a risk, but one that she took 4 other times before and never had more than 2 children at a time. I understand that. All the same, if you are not working, struggling to care for 6 other kids, why do you purposefully TRY to have one or two more. I mean, this is not an oopsie between a husband and wife. This is an actual decision to TRY for more kids when you can't afford the ones you have. :( I just do not understand that. And IVF is not anywhere near FREE!??!

I feel sorry for the CHILDREN. There is no way that one mother can give the attention to those kids that they need. Caring for 2 babies at one time is a full time job. Can you imagine caring for 8 at one time? And then, oh wait, you have SIX other kids that are all under the age of 7 that need you too? I just can't wrap my head around it. It was irresponsible of her to make this choice.

However, I also agree with Chucki...the kids are here now. We can speculate and judge all we want, but now there are 14 kids, who did not get to choose their parents and who did not ASK to be born. Those kids deserve the best and we should definitely pray for the family - if not for the mom, then definitely for those poor kids!

I don't like her mother's comments. I think her mother is disloyal, rude, inflammatory and media-seeking.

Very interesting that you think a worn out grandmother who is helping to raise 14 kids--you seriously don't think that the mother is going to live in her parents home and not ask for help every single day?--is the one who is media hungry. LOL That's pretty skewed.

Responsible moms raise their own kids and don't burden their parents by bringing in MORE mouths to feed without any prospects of an income or a home of their own. How long is the mom's money going to last? Don't her parents deserve to spend their retirement in the way THEY choose?

Since when is financial stability a prerequisite for having children? Let's take away all the children that are currently on WIC. Let's take away all the children from families that are being hit hard by this economic downturn we are going through right now. Let's take away all the children from families making less than $100,000.00 a year. Where does it end?

I've commented before about how much I hate the welfare system that allows generational welfare and supports people who just plain don't want to work, but taking away the children of people who can't afford them is wrong.

You all sit here comfortably in your homes judging this woman for her decisions. Hopefully you've never done anything to make others judge you so harshly. For those of you that are Christians, I've got one question - WWJD?

Yes, this mom may be a bit unstable. But all you are basing your information on is 15 minute sound bites.

Yes, this mom may not be the brightest bulb in the box, but she has said that she is going back to school to finish her degree. Good for her.

Yes, this mom may be a bit irresponsible, but she should be lifted up in prayer and given the help she needs.

Yes, this mom has done something that goes against the norm by having all these children out of wedlock, but she again, should be prayed for not cut down by people who have never met her.

How can one woman with NO income feed, clothe, nurture, educate, and raise 14 children by herself? She is selfish to drag her parents, who clearly want to be "retired" not raising her kids, and the CA welfare system into raising her children in order to feed her self-esteem. WWJD? I don't know, maybe help her find families who could raise the children in a manner which is best for them? I'm not basing this on 15 minute sound bites, but from the perspective of a mature adult raising my own children. Some things in life are just too big for one person to handle--or that one person should handle.

How can one woman with NO income feed, clothe, nurture, educate, and raise 14 children by herself? She is selfish to drag her parents, who clearly want to be "retired" not raising her kids, and the CA welfare system into raising her children in order to feed her self-esteem. WWJD? I don't know, maybe help her find families who could raise the children in a manner which is best for them? I'm not basing this on 15 minute sound bites, but from the perspective of a mature adult raising my own children. Some things in life are just too big for one person to handle--or that one person should handle.

She isn't getting government assistance.

No, she doesn't have an income. Last time I looked a free education is a guarantee in this country. No, she probably won't homeschool them. She isn't homeschooling the other 6.

Where are all the volunteers? Every other time I've seen reports about mega-multiples being born there are volunteers lined up to help out. Where are they now? Condemning this woman for her choices?

There was one family with mega-multiples that was given a house. Diaper and baby food companies usually line up to help out by giving several year's worth of products to families of mega-multiples. But if this woman accepts anything she will be crucified even more in the media then she is now. Already people are making negative comments about the mom accepting a baby swing if one is given to her.

The Duggars daily exploit their children by their TV show that supplements their income. If this mom does that she will be condemned. It has already been pointed out that she hasn't received any monetary compensation for the up coming interview. Why did that have to be pointed out? Why shouldn't she be receiving compensation?

And again back to my original point. Should people who can't afford their children have them taken away? How many of us here are living paycheck-to-paycheck? Should our children be taken from us?

How many working poor are there? Should they have their children taken from them?

What about the people already on assistance? Should it be a condition to accepting assistance that these people's children taken away so they don't overtax an already overtaxed system? Maybe they should just be sterilized so they don't have any more children.

Where are all the volunteers? Every other time I've seen reports about mega-multiples being born there are volunteers lined up to help out. Where are they now? Condemning this woman for her choices?

There was one family with mega-multiples that was given a house. Diaper and baby food companies usually line up to help out by giving several year's worth of products to families of mega-multiples. But if this woman accepts anything she will be crucified even more in the media then she is now. Already people are making negative comments about the mom accepting a baby swing if one is given to her.

The Duggars daily exploit their children by their TV show that supplements their income. If this mom does that she will be condemned. It has already been pointed out that she hasn't received any monetary compensation for the up coming interview. Why did that have to be pointed out? Why shouldn't she be receiving compensation?

And again back to my original point. Should people who can't afford their children have them taken away? How many of us here are living paycheck-to-paycheck? Should our children be taken from us?

How many working poor are there? Should they have their children taken from them?

What about the people already on assistance? Should it be a condition to accepting assistance that these people's children taken away so they don't overtax an already overtaxed system? Maybe they should just be sterilized so they don't have any more children.

Volunteers usually come from within a church or local community. It's people who want to help. Whether or not they choose to help is up to each an every individual in her community.

You're missing my point. She KNOWS she can't provide for her children without aid, yet had additional babies. She may or may not be taking government assistance, but is taking money from her parents. They provided her home for her first 6 children.

Why do you believe she's owed a tv show like Duggars and Jon & Kate? I find both families questionable in the exploitation of their families. You're advocating yet another dysfunctional family to make money off their kids? And all the free stuff? Why is she owed that? It's up to each individual company as to whom they donate their goods. If the mother is questionable or represents controversy, the companies steer clear in order to avoid getting bogged down in any issues. Nothing about having HOMs (higher order multiples) obligates anyone to donate goods, services, or adoration.

I think you're looking through rose colored glasses for this delusional woman. Bless her children as they're in for a tumultuous life.

Chucki, I think the poster who stated that the best thing would be for this woman to give her children up for adption, said so because of her mental state, not only her finacial state. This woman is coocoo! Ann Curry used the perfect word, "delusional". It is SCARY that she will be raising these kids and what kind of thinking she will indluence them with.

And if ANY ONE OF YOU believes that she is not going to get government assisntance for these kids, I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you. She is ALREADY getting food stamps for the other 6 according to msnbc. If she didn't get government assistance, her children would have no food and NO MEDICAL care. SHE DOESN'T HAVE A JOB!

To the person who criticized the grandmother, I can't remember who, I think that is so unbelieveably unfair. This grandmother has been complaining to her daughter about dumping her kids on her for years BEFORE these next 8 were born. What would YOU do if your daughter purposely got pregnant multiple times with no husband, no job and no home and expected YOU to take care of things. UNBELIEVABLE.

She is getting government assistance. The people of California will be paying the medical bills and she is collecting food stamps and aid for three of the other children. I am sure that she will collect more aid for these eight.

I am not thinking that families who are struggling financially or come into bad circumstances should lose their children. However, in this case, I definitely think CFS should look into this. The mother seems to have mental issues ( and I agree with Asta above that they seem to be personality disorders) and doesn't seem to be making anything close to wise decisions for her children. A mental disorder plus severe financial strains plus mulititudes of children seem to me a likely situation for neglect of children. Remember CFS doesn't just remove children but also helps families or mothers in trouble who need more assistance.

On the other hand, while I do not think that families need to be well off whien bringing in children into the world, I do wonder about the thought process and moral compass of someone who is without resources and can't sustain their already existing family, deciding through artificial means to expand the family more. That is just nuts.