Menu

Disinfecting Toothbrushes

I had someone come by this evening and they decided to "help" the dc brush their teeth.:glare: This somehow ended up with all the toothbrushes being dropped into the sink and various other mishaps and I would like to disinfect them. I just replaced their brushes last night and don't want to spend the money for new ones unless I have to. What is the best method for this? A soak in hydrogen peroxide? A trip through the dishwasher?

I soak mine for 30 seconds or longer in a small cup with enough Listerine to cover the bristles. I'm sure using peroxide would be just as good. I remember seeing a consumer report about using the germ-killing mouthwashes being just as good as using some special gadget that was supposed to disinfect them. They showed lab reports and everything. :) HTH

After a nasty few rounds with a stomach bug that we kept passing around, I disinfected my house with bleach, including toothbrushes. I gave them a quick dip and a really good rinse. Of course I didn't run a culture to see if it worked, but we couldn't taste the bleach afterwards.

Terri

After a nasty few rounds with a stomach bug that we kept passing around, I disinfected my house with bleach, including toothbrushes. I gave them a quick dip and a really good rinse. Of course I didn't run a culture to see if it worked, but we couldn't taste the bleach afterwards.

Terri

You wrote that you kept passing it around - did the same people get it more than once?

I replace ours after any illness and normally about every 4-6 months. If I want to just disinfect than I will soak them in rubbing alcohol for a little while. Thinking of bacteria on toothbrushes just grosses me out.

There was a Myth Busters about this. I wish I remembered more, but they had the toothbrushes in another room - not in a bathroom w/toilet - and they still gathered bacteria in a short amount of time. All of immediately through our toothbrushes away.

Janet