Menu

Adopt a word

According to the "Save the Words" website: "Each year hundreds of words are dropped from the English language"

Some here already lament the fact that words are falling into disuse (or misuse - I'm looking at you, Spy Car). Do your part today to help prevent this ongoing tragedy and save these words for future generations.

http://www.savethewords.org/

According to the "Save the Words" website: "Each year hundreds of words are dropped from the English language"

Some here already lament the fact that words are falling into disuse (or misuse - I'm looking at you, Spy Car). Do your part today to help prevent this ongoing tragedy and save these words for future generations.

I'm picking "circumambulate". Me and my buddies (OK it was my doing :tongue_smilie:) actually made this a common phrase in high school. Imagine a bunch of hulking football players saying: Hey guys, lets go circumambulate instead of let's go walk-around.

I love this thread! :D

Bill

I'll take blateration because I'm good at it!!

Blaberation: blabber, chatter.

I'm very sorry, but we're going to have a custody issue here. I have already adopted blateration (as you can see from the official certificate of adoption in my previous post). If you truly love this word, we can arrange a visitation schedule....You could be my word's very favorite auntie and I could even use my adopted word to describe you, if you would like.:D

Ok, I adopted "panchymagogue" ( a medicine that purges unhealthy fluids from the body) which should mingle nicely with all my new herbalist words.

And I also adopted "auturgy" because I am of the mind we all need a little more self action to offset the widespread lethargy that has come upon us.

You probably beat me because of my pigritude!!

Pigritude: laziness.

Ah...I see you've found one that would otherwise probably never see the light of day. By some fluke of chance, you and I seem to have adopted words that may be best suited to the other! It is my hope that other word lovers will step forward to do their small part as well. Well, enough of this blateration, I've got other sites to visit!

(see how well I'm doing at keeping my adopted word in circulation?)

Ok, I adopted "panchymagogue" ( a medicine that purges unhealthy fluids from the body) which should mingle nicely with all my new herbalist words.

And I also adopted "auturgy" because I am of the mind we all need a little more self action to offset the widespread lethargy that has come upon us.

I looked at panchymagogue and almost adopted it (it was so cute, with its big eyes and stomach-turning definition), but, alas, I don't have room in my limited vocabulary for more than one adoptee. Future generations will thank you for having the heart to adopt two! :001_smile:

I'm very sorry, but we're going to have a custody issue here. I have already adopted blateration (as you can see from the official certificate of adoption in my previous post). If you truly love this word, we can arrange a visitation schedule....You could be my word's very favorite auntie and I could even use my adopted word to describe you, if you would like.:D

LOL!! I thought about getting a good lawyer, but I guess you will provide a good home for the word!

What a great site!:001_smile:

My older dd has started writing a song and we look forward to its patration. (completion or perfection of something)

Sadly, this word is not in my desktop dictionary.

Yes, it is sad. Probably not recognized by spellchecker, either. It is up to us to keep words like this from disappearing alltogether.

Wow. What a cool thread.

I'm now officially the improcerous (having little height) aquabib (water-drinker). I'm trying to learn to drink more water, so I figure life will be more exciting if I'm an aquabib rather than a plain old water-drinker. Think waiters will understand what I want when I tell them I'm an aquabib?

:D

I picked ducenarious as I just finished book that had it in it! Pertaining to 200. A Rosemary Sutcliff about Roman England.

Which Sutcliff novel? She's my fave. I also have just finished several Roman England books of hers, and if I've missed the word ducenarious in my reading... oh dear! I'll need some time dedicated to omphaloskepsis to get over it.

I like the site but find it ironic that it is from the Oxford publishing group, the same folks who revised one of their children's dictionaries to include MP3 and remove words like holly, ivy, and cheetah.

We've done our part. My dds adopted "boreism" and "starrify." So now we have a new word to describe life with math and one that is all about how little girls like to decorate.

:001_smile:

I was totally going to adopt starrify....but I didn't think anyone would believe it was a real word. Doesn't it sound like a word our little girls would make up and use?

I wonder if "heartify" and "stickerify" and "glitterify" are also real words?

Frontier Wolf. It's just been reprinted. Yay!

Oh, thank goodness! We just finished The Lantern Bearers, and the other two that are in that "cycle." Frontier Wolf is next up; I love the covers on the reprints. If I'd missed such a delicious word (while reading aloud!) I would have been... you know. It would have been a blow. If I didn't have a low-grade fever right now, I'd be able to come up with the perfect word there.

Or maybe it's just fun?

Well I certainly confess to having fun poking around the site. To sound the alarm to save words on one hand while assisting in pushing them off the cliff on the other hand seems like tortiloquy to me. Maybe I'm just acrasial. And I've certainly been called vebrecose before. But to agonize over the death of Portapak while using its grandson MP3 to push poodle over the cliff seems less than squiriferous. It makes them seem to me like a bunch of phylargirists.

Then again, our home does run toward cynicocratical tendencies.

Well I certainly confess to having fun poking around the site. To sound the alarm to save words on one hand while assisting in pushing them off the cliff on the other hand seems like tortiloquy to me. Maybe I'm just acrasial. And I've certainly been called vebrecose before. But to agonize over the death of Portapak while using its grandson MP3 to push poodle over the cliff seems less than squiriferous. It makes them seem to me like a bunch of phylargirists.

Then again, our home does run toward cynicocratical tendencies.

You are TOO funny! I am actually chuckling out loud! Thanks. :lol: