Menu

Help me look younger

or at least my age. I'm in my late 40's but I'm routinely taken for much older. I've lost 10 of the approximately 40 pounds I need to lose and I've started an exercise program using Leslie Sansone's DVD. So far I've been walking 1 to 2 brisk miles 5 days/week. I feel good about this part so far as long as I keep it up but I need to do more. My hair is more than 50% gray now. Temporary colors don't work. I have no idea what to buy. It has to be something I can use at home because of my very tight budget. I also need advice on skin care. My skin is getting noticeably wrinkled especially under my eyes. This afternoon, I walked though the cosmetic section in Wal-mart and was confused completely. I have no idea what products to buy for my sensitive skin. It's normal to dry but will break out if I'm not careful. So.... any help and advice would be so very appreciated!

Ann

• Clairol's Grey Solutions (You'll have to use probably every 4 weeks; make sure you are leaving it on 45 minutes)

• I would get a Mary Kay consultant or go to a cosmetics counter. (MK Consultant may be a little less threatening, and no I'm not a MK consultant). They can advise you on products that will be good color-wise and skincare wise. If you can swing it, their products would probably be good for you. If you can't, make sure you go with a strong will that you aren't going to buy but take whatever tips they can give you!

• CLOTHING choice! :)

Edited by Guest

One of the moms in our homeschool group sells this, and I have really enjoyed it. It is not super cheap (more than Wal-mart) but not as high as a department store. A consult on your make-up and skincare products might really help. And, I believe MK is designed for "older" skin (which is why *I* am using it!). Even if you didn't stay with the MK products it might be worth it for just one time to get some ideas. And, it is so nice having it done in the home rather than at a make-up counter somewhere.

I personally gave up coloring my hair b/c of the cost and time. What is your cut like? A new cut can do wonders!

Also, I suggest watching TLC's What Not to Where. They give lots of advice on dressing age-appropriately, body-type appropriately, hair, and make-up.

I use that two step coloring (with the highlights) in my hair. My gray shows up really fast if I don't have highlights put in as well.

I use Principal Secret skin care. It is awesome! I have to order the Advanced products, the new products break me out terribly. My skin has less discoloration. I don't really have wrinkles yet, but I can go without makeup and look better without it than I do with it on if I keep up on my principal secret regimen. P.S. I switched from Mary Kay.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I turn 50 next month and here is my list, (you can find most of these at Walmart):

-Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Mosturizer SPF15 in winter (SPF 30 in summer)

-ROC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Night Cream (buy at drugstore)- link:

http://www.rocskincare.com/index_roc.jsp

-Olay Body Age Defying Body Wash with VitaNiacin

-Aveeno Stress Reflief Mositurizing Lotin (use in summer after shower)

-Bare Minerals foundation (buy at Sephora)

-Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair Foot Creme

I think coloring your hair is going to make a big difference. First I went to a hair salon and asked them to color my hair two shades lighter than my natural color. Then went to a beauty supply and asked for the same shade. They gave me Wella Color Charm Liquid Creme Haircolor which I mix with Wella Color Charm Creme Developer. It is so easy and covers the grey for 6 weeks or so. I just do the roots and twice a year have my dh or a friend help me do the entire hair. I have been coloring my hair for 8 years or so.

My next beauty purchase is going to be teeth whitening strips because I am a tea drinker.

Have fun sprucing up!

Forgot to add that my skin breaks out easily too. It took me years to figure out that I need to use oil free products. So make sure whatever you use on your face is oil-free and you should be OK.

Edited by Ferdie

I spent some time in the bookstore last year reading a book called 'How Not To Look Old.' It's directed at women over 40 or 50. I LOVED a sentence in the beginning...something to the effect that there are many books to help you be beautiful on the inside, this book is unashamedly about how you LOOK. I found it a fun read...and no, I didn't buy. I read, paid attention, and left...

The list of no-nos were things like...

Not using the right makeup (guilty)

decorated sweatshirts are a no-no (guilty)

No-no bright, dark nail polish

Drab, long hair without style

No wearing high heels (guilty) Or wearing sneakers all the time (guilty)

Poorly fitting jeans. (sort of guilty)

Wearing poor quality undies

Wearing styles from a decade or two ago.

In general, dressing for comfort more than looks. (oh, so guilty)

Feel free to skip the chapter on Botox. :D

I'm over fifty and flunked on several of these. I've made significant changes in the past year. Exercise, diet, and upgrading my wardrobe a piece or two at a time. Just taking a moment to pull myself together every day.

I already spend a few dollars a year to have my hair cut and styled and highlighted. I'll go without new shoe before giving up my hair cuts.

Pick up a copy of More magazine from time to time. Those ladies look fab! And they are alllllll over forty.

I get my hair colored at a local high school that has a cosmetology department in it and I swear it is the best color job I have ever gotten. I spend $30 for a hair cut and foil high lights. See if there is a beauty school near you and give them a call. They can do the professional work on your hair for a lot cheaper.

Michelle

Go to a store that specializes in bras or lingerie (but not Victoria's secret). The salesperson will take one look at you & bring you an assortment of stuff to try on -- perhaps not even in the size that you thought you were. It will not be cheap, but you (or most people, anyway) will look better & younger instantly.

I think Olay and Roc are good choices...I use both of them as well as LaRoche-Posay...which I love.

I have to have my hair colored and will continue until the day I die(and I will hopefully prebook for that last appointment so I can go out looking good!)

Go to a store that you like their clothing(like J. Jill or Coldwater Creek, Gap,Ann Taylor or Chico). Find a clerk that you feel comfortable with and buy an outfit or even just a top or a piece of jewelry to make you feel good.

Remember attitude is half the battle...at least it is for me. Beauty comes from within but finding a good makeup line and skincare helps.

As far as clothing, I struggle with this as I don't like alot of the styles out there but one thing that I have learned...if I find something that looks good on me or my husband likes...buy it in every color that is available!!!