Menu

Serious Gardeners : Where do you buy your seeds from?

I want to order my seeds & potato plants soon, but I am not sure where to order from. Last year I just bought locally, but my selections were limited and nothing was organic. I want to avoid any GMO seeds. I also would like to look into growing peanuts this year. Not sure if you can do that in Ohio or not. Would love some direction.

Thanks!

Michelle

...the more local the seed company is to my locale, or the more similar their climate, the better success I have with their products. Not across the board, but definitely with things like potatoes, garlic, onions, etc.

For that reason, I have gravitated toward Johnny's Selected Seeds because they are in the NE like me. I also have had good success with Nichols Garden Nursery because their growing conditions are not unlike ours.

I'd consider Ronnigers for seed potatoes because they are small enough to be able to advise you with regard to your soil conditions and zone.

This list might also prove useful.

You can't go very wrong with any of the companies listed here. Just be sure to ask the salesman whether what you're ordering is suitable to your zone.

Have fun!

It's important to me to avoid financially supporting ~ either directly or indirectly ~ Monsanto. Most organics advocates feel the same. That effort became more difficult when Monsanto purchased Seminis, one of the largest players in the seed market. Seminis in turn distributes to all manner of companies, e.g. Territorial Seeds. Please understand: Territorial itself (for example) is still privately owned, and strives not to purchase genetically engineered seeds. Nonetheless, for those who want to avoid supporting Monsanto, it's important to inquire about the source of your seeds.

You can read more about Monsanto's acquisition of Seminis here:

http://www.seedalliance.org/index.php?page=SeminisMonsanto

The young man that started and still runs this company was homeschooled and I have purchased seeds from them for several years. The catalogue is a feast for the eyes and the seeds have an excellent sprouting rate. I have been very pleased with everything I have purchased from them. The seeds are heirloom, open-pollinated seeds: pure, natural and non-GMO

Here is a link

http://rareseeds.com/

Karen

It's important to me to avoid financially supporting ~ either directly or indirectly ~ Monsanto. Most organics advocates feel the same. That effort became more difficult when Monsanto purchased Seminis, one of the largest players in the seed market. Seminis in turn distributes to all manner of companies, e.g. Territorial Seeds. Please understand: Territorial itself (for example) is still privately owned, and strives not to purchase genetically engineered seeds. Nonetheless, for those who want to avoid supporting Monsanto, it's important to inquire about the source of your seeds.

You can read more about Monsanto's acquisition of Seminis here:

http://www.seedalliance.org/index.php?page=SeminisMonsanto

This is a new subject for me as I've been reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle this week. How would I figure out if the seed company from which I've been purchasing is owned by Monsanto? I've been using Irish Eyes Garden Seeds for several years, but I can't determine from their website whether or not they're owned by a larger corporation. I suppose I could call, but is there a list somewhere?

This is a new subject for me as I've been reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle this week. How would I figure out if the seed company from which I've been purchasing is owned by Monsanto? I've been using Irish Eyes Garden Seeds for several years, but I can't determine from their website whether or not they're owned by a larger corporation. I suppose I could call, but is there a list somewhere?

I don't know of an all-inclusive list, which is why we have to do our homework. Imo, it's virtually impossible to avoid Seminis when doing business with any of the bigger seed companies, even those, like Territorial Seed Company, whose integrity I trust. As noted in the article I linked previously:

"Johnny’s, Territorial, Fedco, Nichol’s, Rupp, Osborne, Snow, and Stokes are among the dozens of commercial and garden seed catalogs that carry the more than 3,500 varieties that comprise Seminis’ offerings. This includes dozens of All-American Selections and an increasing number of varieties licensed to third parties for certified organic seed production."

As well, avoiding certain varities of vegetable is necessary if one wants to avoid Seminis. Quoting the article again:

"The brand-name companies under Seminis (such as Petoseed) have developed, released, produced and distributed varieties common to the market farmer and even home gardener. These include Big Beef, Sweet Baby Girl and Early Girl Tomatoes; Simpsons Elite and Red Sails Lettuces; Red Knight and King Arthur Peppers; Gold Rush and Blackjack Zucchinis; Stars & Stripes Melon; and Bush Delicata and Early Butternut squashes (see sidebar for other popular varieties)."

If I wanted to purchase from any of the companies noted in the article or listed on the Seminis site (http://us.seminis.com/products/hg_dealer.asp), I'd first call and find out the name of the original distributor.

Edited by Colleen

Another huge fan of Baker Creek's Rare Seeds. The quality is excellent and the prices are incredible. Even for shipping, I believe there is just a flat rate of $2.50. We live close though and get to go pick them out during Baker Creek's spring festivals, so I haven't checked out shipping prices in a while.