Menu

Do any of you need a vacuum and don't want to pay a lot? I have a recommendation.

I've had my Dyson for 3 years or so, and loved it. The handle just broke, and lo and behold, you can't get a replacement for this particular part. Dh managed to fix it so it can be used, but it's never going to stand up to the once or twice-daily vacuuming around here.

So, I needed a new downstairs vacuum (ie, the daily machine...yes, my life is rather pathetic when you look at it that way, lol). We looked at Consumer Reports' latest vacuum ratings, and one of the CR best buys sounded interesting. They recommended a Bissell (Bissell Momentum, model 82G71; also called the model 3910; they've recently changed the model number to 82G71, but it's the same machine). CR lists the price at $120, which is substantially lower than the $500 Dyson which rates lower!

BJs had the vac for $89.99 (model 3910). We brought it home and it works better than the Dyson. Really. Dh and I were stunned. I vacuumed the downstairs yesterday with the Dyson, and the Bissell got a ton of dirt out of the rugs that the Dyson didn't. The suction in the Bissell is stronger.

I just thought I'd post this in case someone was interested. I was half-expecting to have to take the Bissell back, but I've been pleasantly surprised.

Ria

Edited by Ria

Ria,

I had something similar happen to my Dyson about a year ago and I bought a Bissell pet hair eraser vac. We were amazed at how much the Dyson wasn't getting. We find our Bissell is still going strong after a year.

That's great to hear, Kel, thanks! Dh will be pleased! BTW, the pet hair vac rated slightly higher than the Momentum (although both had the same numeric score...go figure). BJs had it, too, for $140. It looks like a fantastic vacuum.

Ria

I've had my Dyson for 3 years or so, and loved it. The handle just broke, and lo and behold, you can't get a replacement for this particular part. Dh managed to fix it so it can be used, but it's never going to stand up to the once or twice-daily vacuuming around here.

So, I needed a new downstairs vacuum (ie, the daily machine...yes, my life is rather pathetic when you look at it that way, lol). We looked at Consumer Reports' latest vacuum ratings, and one of the CR best buys sounded interesting. They recommended a Bissell (Bissell Momentum, model 82G71; also called the model 3910; they've recently changed the model number to 82G71, but it's the same machine). CR lists the price at $120, which is substantially lower than the $500 Dyson which rates lower!

BJs had the vac for $89.99 (model 3910). We brought it home and it works better than the Dyson. Really. Dh and I were stunned. I vacuumed the downstairs yesterday with the Dyson, and the Bissell got a ton of dirt out of the rugs that the Dyson didn't. The suction in the Bissell is stronger.

I just thought I'd post this in case someone was interested. I was half-expecting to have to take the Bissell back, but I've been pleasantly surprised.

Ria

How much does it weigh? Our Kirby is needing repair and I need something for when it is in the "shop." I actually hate the Kirby because, although it sucks great, it weighs a ton and I have to lug it up and down stairs (when I actually decide to vacuum downstairs, that is). Plus, I really don't think that the Kirby should have broken at all considering what we paid for it. By "we" I mean dh, who is a sucker for any door-to-door salesperson.