Menu

How do you buy locally?

There are several local brands of honey, veggies, meats and so on in our local grocery store (HEB here in TX). We also have a farmer's market in two neighboring towns each week from May-Sept. that we go to for veggies and some fruits. Our favorite though is just buying things from friends and their friends. We try to buy for fellow homeschoolers if possible. We have even bought a piece of furniture made by a fellow homeschool family, which was very nice and not nearly as expensive as furniture stores.

You can find local farms, farmers markets and CSAs through LocalHarvest.org. Our CSA pickup is at the local farmers market, so we buy extra produce in season and put it up for the winter. You can generally find other famers - meat, eggs, dairy, etc - at the markets, too. And you talk to them, find out where they're located, how they raise their product, etc. and build a relationship with them. If the market is closed in the off season, you will still have a way to contact them.

You can find local grass-raised meat, eggs, and dairy at EatWild.com.

Word of mouth is always good. We found our organic, raw milk farm through friends, and alternate our milk pick-up with them. I know three generations of the family now, and my kids look forward to helping in the barn or playing with the animals when we go.

Check around. You'll be surprised what you find local to you.

We have a local farmer's co-op we buy from weekly.

Farmer's Market

Shop your local little grocery market instead of a big chain. Odds are they will carry many more of your local products. You can always ask. Most of our local products are clearly marked.

We do live in a largely agricultural area though.

We do as much shopping as possible at a local non-chain grocery that carries cheese made about 25 miles from our home. We can get eggs from a local farm, although I am very happy with the price and quality of the ones I get (at the store) from a few counties away -- the yolks are so dark they are almost orange, not yellow! There is a dairy about 8 miles from here that is great for our milk, and then I make our yogurt. I make most of our bread, but DH picks some up at a local bakery. May - November I stop twice a month at various farmer's markets, plus that grocery store sells a lot of local produce. We also grow a decent amount of produce, and gather walnuts at the edge of the woods in the fall, which is fun and a money saver. So much of what we love in the fruit department just cannot be obtained locally -- pineapples, mangoes, pomegranates, etc., so we buy what is in season and on sale.

We have not yet made the transition to local meat, although I see us heading in that direction in the near future.

We are lucky to have farmer's markets that go through the whole year-- even winter. The pickins' are slimmer in the winter, but there's still plenty to make due. Many local farms in the area sell direct to the consumer as well... you can just stop by and purchase meat, dairy, and (in season) veggies. We also have a couple of health food stores that sell locally produced cosmetics, lotions, salves and such.

I second taking a look at localharvest.org. I'm sure there are things in your area!

When produce is in season I shop at the Amish farm market about 8 miles away. It's wonderful...I buy a bushel of sweet red peppers in late summer for $10, slice and freeze them, and have them for the next year.

Our local grocery store (Wegmans) buys local produce in season, as well, and they have displays so you know what is local. It's great. If you get there early in the spring/summer/fall, you'll see the local farmers unloading their produce. Pretty neat.

Ria

You can find local farms, farmers markets and CSAs through LocalHarvest.org. Our CSA pickup is at the local farmers market, so we buy extra produce in season and put it up for the winter. You can generally find other famers - meat, eggs, dairy, etc - at the markets, too. And you talk to them, find out where they're located, how they raise their product, etc. and build a relationship with them. If the market is closed in the off season, you will still have a way to contact them.

You can find local grass-raised meat, eggs, and dairy at EatWild.com.

Word of mouth is always good. We found our organic, raw milk farm through friends, and alternate our milk pick-up with them. I know three generations of the family now, and my kids look forward to helping in the barn or playing with the animals when we go.

Check around. You'll be surprised what you find local to you.

I was looking at localharvest.org last night, but it was hard to really see what's what. There were restaurants that I guess serve local or organic food & there were farmer's markets labeled w/ #s, but other than an address, there was no info regarding what they sell, when they're there, phone #--nothing. I got frustrated & gave up.

We have a local farmer's co-op we buy from weekly.

Farmer's Market

Shop your local little grocery market instead of a big chain. Odds are they will carry many more of your local products. You can always ask. Most of our local products are clearly marked.

We do live in a largely agricultural area though.

I don't know of any little grocery markets around here. There's a Save A Lot, but I doubt that's what you mean. ;)

I buy from a farmers market June through September. Local farmers also sell directly to the public via roadside stands and word of mouth. During the winter months, I buy at the grocery store and look for local stuff there, although that's not very realistic.

Last time I stopped at a roadside stand, the oranges had...oh, I can't remember the brand now, but stickers on them. W/ upc codes. And they were about 3x as much as the groc store, same brand. :rolleyes: I know they're not all that way, but I don't assume that a roadside stand is really local any more, kwim?

I'll bet you do...linkey. They seem to be all over the DFW area.

Barb

Thanks...looks like the closest one to us is about an hr away.

Really, though, we're surrounded by rural areas here, it shouldn't be that hard to find something. We're just so...civilized. In a bad way, ya know? No idea how to find stuff if it isn't on a billboard connected to a 6 lane highway. Or is that just me? :lol:

Thanks...looks like the closest one to us is about an hr away.

Really, though, we're surrounded by rural areas here, it shouldn't be that hard to find something. We're just so...civilized. In a bad way, ya know? No idea how to find stuff if it isn't on a billboard connected to a 6 lane highway. Or is that just me? :lol:

Eh, too bad. Next time you're in town, you should check them out. Good luck on your quest.

Barb

This region is fantabulous in terms of buying local, but that doesn't having any bearing on your options. A quick google will yiled you more worthwhile info.:)

I spent about 2hrs doing that last night & didn't really get anywhere. I figure I need better search terms, but... I don't know? Maybe I'm assuming rural because we're in FW when in reality, it's just another big city that happens to have stockyards? LOL

What search terms did you use? I just googled for "Fort Worth local produce" and came up with this link: http://www.topix.com/yp/fort-worth-tx/c/shopping-produce. Are any of those possibilities? I don't think there's a true food co-op in your area, unfortunately, but you can at least go to Whole Foods, check out their local offerings, and ask around to try and get more info.

We have a food coop here in town that commits to selling as many local products as possible, so we get a lot of our food there. During the warmer weather months, we have a couple of farmers' markets in town that sell produce and other things a few times per week; late summer and early fall area farmers will often also set up in their trucks on the roadsides to sell extra things. There are some U-pick farms around our area for berries and apples, etc. We visit local farms in fall for Apple Cider and other related products they create, such as apple butter. One year, we participated in a CSA run by someone here in town, but that was too much for us.

What search terms did you use? I just googled for "Fort Worth local produce" and came up with this link: http://www.topix.com/yp/fort-worth-tx/c/shopping-produce. Are any of those possibilities? I don't think there's a true food co-op in your area, unfortunately, but you can at least go to Whole Foods, check out their local offerings, and ask around to try and get more info.

I've never been to Whole Foods, but I have a neighbor who started shopping there, & I thought I'd at least go look around.

The website you linked was pretty telling, I think. The area around us is like a vacuum, lol. It looks like the closest sites are all about 30 min away. Right now, that's a little too far for us.

Ironic, isn't it--that buying locally would actually involve a further drive. :001_smile:

CSAs in / around Ft. Worth - click the listing to see what they have.

Co-ops.

This farmer's market has product information.

Map of the Eat Wild registered farms around Ft. Worth. Yeah, there are a few. ;)

Thank you--these links are really helpful for understanding the process a little better. Almost everything is an hour or more away from here, though--I think that's amazing! But maybe it's typical & I'm just that ignorant of the process, lol. I mean...they *are* farms! :lol:

I spent about 2hrs doing that last night & didn't really get anywhere. I figure I need better search terms, but... I don't know? Maybe I'm assuming rural because we're in FW when in reality, it's just another big city that happens to have stockyards? LOL

I'm in FW, too. IN the spring, summer, and fall, there is a farmer's market in the SW corner of 820....

Here's a blurb I found...

COWTOWN FARMERS' MARKET: Saturdays, 8 a.m. to sell-out. When season gets going, may add Wednesdays. Besides farmers, it has an artisan bread baker, coffee beans, natural granola. Part of North Central Texas Farmers Markets. The market's Fresh Line tells what's going to be at the market and any changes due to weather. Closes after the first fall freeze. State Highway 377 at Southwest Boulevard, Fort Worth (east side of Weatherford traffic circle, parking lot in front of Texas Outdoors); 817-462-1426; http://www.simplyfreshfw.com.

I've shopped there and the produce is fresh and local.

I also love the farmer's market held seasonally in Grapevine on Saturdays and Thursdays. There is local chicken available at that one.

I know what you mean about the 'farmer's markets' with UPC stickers on the produce. Those are just small grocery stores, IMHO. I want to know the folks growing and picking the stuff.

Hope this helps.

Edited to add....Central Market will have some local produce during the year. At least they tell you where it came from.

Edited by Happy

We use the local grocery store, a family owned place. Their fresh stuff, meat, veggies, fruits, come primarily from local farms. The owner, lets you know if something isn't 'from here.' There's also plenty of stands around, lots of family owned convenience stores and the local vineyard and berry farm.

Aubrey, Paidom Meats delivers to several DFW locations bimonthly. They carry grass-fed beef, lamb, and cabrito, semi-pastured (but supplemented) pork, chickens, and eggs. Check out their delivery schedule. I don't think they'll be back there until April, but if you can plan ahead, I promise that you won't be disappointed with the quality.

I should mention that Paidom is in Nazareth, but they deliver all over the state in runs delivered by the farmer himself. :) And the taste is un.be.lievable.

I'm in FW, too. IN the spring, summer, and fall, there is a farmer's market in the SW corner of 820....

So next mo, maybe? Should a bunch of us meet there? Y'all could give me lessons...:lol:

Thanks for the info! I'll have to remember & look it up whenever we're officially "spring." Personally, I'd say this feels like it, but....? :lol:

Thank you--these links are really helpful for understanding the process a little better. Almost everything is an hour or more away from here, though--I think that's amazing! But maybe it's typical & I'm just that ignorant of the process, lol. I mean...they *are* farms! :lol:

Thank you for starting this thread. I am learning a lot as well. Now I just need to get my husband on board. Also if anyone has good resources for people on the Dallas side of DFW I would love to check them out. I have followed all of the links posted in this thread so far.

Jan

So next mo, maybe? Should a bunch of us meet there? Y'all could give me lessons...:lol:

Thanks for the info! I'll have to remember & look it up whenever we're officially "spring." Personally, I'd say this feels like it, but....? :lol:

I only started going there last year myself. So I would guess late March. It may feel like spring (today!) but we still have some winter left. I'm on the Artisan Bakery email list so I should hear from them when things open back up.

Warning~these are small markets. It won't take but a half an hour to work the whole line. BUT they are local. You can ask all the questions you want.

For a bigger market, you can always drive to Dallas. That's good sized place. Perfect for a day long outing in the summer.

Maybe this will help you find your way into the right group.

If you have a real "tree-hugger" health food store in your area (not a GNC kind of place), I'd start there. Ask your questions of those who work there, or check their bulletin board for ideas.

Call your local Dept. of Ag. Cooperative Extension office and tell them you'd like sources for buying local food. They may know of buying groups like the one above that will enable you to get the food without having to drive every week.

Ask, ask, ask! Making connections isn't always easy, but the more you ask, the more you know. My hunch is that if you put this 'out there' you'll find some solutions by springtime.

Good luck!

:001_smile:

I've found that you only need to make that one connection, and then it sort of builds on that. I started just going to the weekly farmers market, and then joined the statewide co-op, on a recommendation from a farmer there. And we've become close enough with a few very local farmers who have agreed to grow specific crops for us this year. We are so fortunate here - in addition to the farmers market twice a week, there is the statewide coop, which is a monthly order, and there is a grocery store here that specializes in local foods.

Talk to people. If there are restaurants on localharvest, call them and ask where they get their produce. When you go to the farmers market, talk to the farmers. They may live closer to you than the market, and may be willing to let you come pick up goodies at their farm rather than driving to the market.

Aubrey, Paidom Meats delivers to several DFW locations bimonthly. They carry grass-fed beef, lamb, and cabrito, semi-pastured (but supplemented) pork, chickens, and eggs. Check out their delivery schedule. I don't think they'll be back there until April, but if you can plan ahead, I promise that you won't be disappointed with the quality.

I should mention that Paidom is in Nazareth, but they deliver all over the state in runs delivered by the farmer himself. :) And the taste is un.be.lievable.

I was just wondering where you've been lately--I think you must have posted at the same time as me!

I looked at this site...it's interesting. There's so much to learn! And budgeting...it looks like the difference between getting paid weekly vs once a month. You have to <gulp> get used to it. ;)

I think I'll have to get my feet wet before doing anything w/ this level of commitment. Maybe actually look inside the Whole Market/Central Market/Whole Foods/Whatever It's Called PLace. Maybe try actually buying produce at Kroger. That would be a baby step, lol.

Thanks!

I like farmers markets so I can talk to the people who actually work the farms, grow the food and live on the same earth. I find that a lot of farmers can't claim organic standards but are working towards it or are at least growing in sustainable, responsible ways. I like to support farmers who are farmers by passion not only of they crops and yields, but of the health of the plants and the earth. It is usually pretty easy to find who is at the market for just profit, and who is there because it is their passion.

One of my favorite memories is of a little old lady, in a simple house dress, handing me a pair sample, and when I said it was one of the best I had ever tasted, her face lit up and said...."I think so too". Nothing prophetic, just a little lady and her prized pears. It is nice to support a person, and not a business.

We have fruit/veg stands all around us, but often they buy produce from growers who aren't local to have a variety. You have to really know what crops are local and in season sometimes to make sure what you are buying is truly local.