Menu

Help. I have tickets to take the girls to the ballet. AACCKK!

We are going to see Cinderella. We, as in my dd's (ages 3 and 5) and myself. It's a 3:00 performance w/ full orchestra.

Dh bought the tickets. He was very sweet and called as soon as the tickets went on sale. He bought them like a man would, though. He bought tickets right in the middle, so we could see everything. Right in the middle of the row. Near the front.

My 3 year old will sit pretty still. She sits through movies at the theatre just fine.

I have horrible visions of both girls needing to go potty throughout the show. I'm seriously thinking of putting pull-ups on both of them and telling them, just this once, if you've really gotta go....go in the pull-up.

Am I nuts? I'm stressing over this. Should I leave the younger one behind? She'll be disappointed about being left behind, although probably not at missing the show. Really though, the older one is more likely to need to go to the bathroom.

And how do you dress for an afternoon ballet? I'm planning on church clothes from tomorrow morning. Is that appropriate?

I take my niece to the ballet and opera with me all the time. I just have her try not to drink too much and we potty directly before the show starts; make a bee-line for the potty during intermission; and rewarded with a smoothie on the way home. The show is so engrossing that she usually doesn't even mention having to go to the potty.

On the off chance she does have to go, just take her. People have to understand. That's what the matinees are for - for families to go to the theater. If they were expecting only stuffy grown ups, they should have gotten tickets to the later show.

For me that's half the fun. I love going to the ballet and seeing all the little girls in their tutus and sparkly dresses so they can look like the ladies on stage. It's so cute!

E.T.A. In my neck of the woods, people wear anything from shorts and flip flops to prom gowns and everything in between. Whatever you have and feel comfortable in should be just fine.

A friend and I went to the Nutcracker at Christmas time. Behind us was a little boy who said in loud whispers, "Wow!" and "Mom, she's wearing my favorite color!" and "Look at that!" the whole time. It was absolutely charming. His poor mother was a little worried he was bothering, but the people around them were smiling and when I assured her after the show that it was wonderful to hear his excitement, the adults on either side of me smiled and agreed.

At an afternoon show, and Cinderella no less, there will probably be lots of charming and excited little girls. I'll bet some of them will even need to go to the bathroom during the show, and that will be okay. :)

Dress for the ballet here also ranges from jeans to fancy. Wear something nice and let the girls doll up a little if they want. You're going to have a wonderful time.

Waaaah! I miss having little girls around. My girls are teens, and I miss doing fun little-girl things with them.

Cat

I can't imagine anyone being upset because one of your little girls needs to go to the washroom...They make buildings with washrooms because sometimes people *do* need them. :)

Seriously, just go and enjoy it! If they need to go pee, excuse yourself past the knees and go. If someone gets their nose out of joint, just ignore them. Someday they're gonna be old and not so great at holding it themselves. ;)

It ran 2 hours and 20 minutes, with two 20 minute intermissions. The last third was getting a little long for the kids, but I had some goldfish and they did fine. It had some comic relief in the form of some funny stepsisters that were played by men.

Luckily, we didn't have to leave for a bathroom break. They don't let you back in until the next intermission.