Menu

Going back to college in a year. What should I study between now and then?

I'm seriously thinking about going back to college. Some 30 years ago I only completed about 30 credit hours... 1 full year of college. A friend of mine is in the same boat, finished 1 year of college 30 years ago. We are talking about going back to college together, starting in Jan 2010 to get our bachelor's degree.

I feel like I should make use of my time between now and then with some reading or studying but what??? What can I systematically study in one year's time? What would you do in my shoes?

Thought I'd add this info that I just included on the high school board.

I only have 1 year between now and then so doing 4 years worth of TWTM would not fit in that time frame. I'm not sure about TWEM. Anyone cover that material in a year's time? Doing CLEPs could be useful.

As for the old credit hours-- Another friend of mine recently submitted about 30 old credit hours and they were accepted by her school. So I'm thinking good thoughts about that.

I haven't exactly settled on a major but so far I'm considering 1 of these 3:

Art History, B.A.

Classics, B.A.

English Language & Literature, B.A.

I'm thinking about getting a B.A. and then following that up with a Master's in Library Science. If I work later on after college I'd prefer to work around adults, as opposed to teaching elementary or high school. I think I might enjoy working in a library. I'm also looking for other ideas for ways to use any of these 3 degree programs where I could mainly be around adults.

Maybe grammar and writing skills. Is there any way you can do some sort of warm-up course? Maybe online? I would spend your time on "reading, writing, and arithmetic" since refreshing those areas will make everything else easier.

Do you have to do any entrance testing that you need to study for?

What school accepted your credits? I have 45 credits from 30 years ago that I couldn't get accepted (English, Math, Sciences, etc.).

I'm going to do the same thing (but not next year). I'm hoping to start this year. The problem is all the CC's want me to take placement tests and I would have to travel back to the US to do that. So until I can take a placement test I can't even start.

Off the top of my head I'd say that the areas in which I could use some practice before starting school would be note-taking, study skills and writing papers.

I'm really not worried about math since I don't plan to go into a math-related field. In college 30 years ago, I finished calculus so basic college math should be a breeze if I should have to take 1-2 math courses.

Edited by Anna

I would make sure that your previous college experience will count at the college of your choice, gather information on scholarships both state and private and decide on a degree. Once you have a degree in mind, you can see areas where you may need to brush up.

I was going to start next week but switched colleges and my new start date is in May for Summer quarter. Between now and then, I'm studying math! I did college algebra 14 years ago but I know I need to take it again. :)

The better I score on the college placement test, the less classes I have to take, once you have selected a college- the details of all this become easier. You will know what placement test they use, what the requirements are for each degree, etc.

It seems a year is far away but it's really not. I would ask your advisor how to best utilize your time, is there a reason why you're going to wait a year?

I wouldn't buy college texts ahead of time, you may need to purchase the next edition-it would be a good time to figure out where you're going to buy your textbooks. If the college store has a trade-in policy or if buying used online will be cheaper.

Hope this helps, good luck!

I'm in the study skills & notetaking camp.

I'd buy myself a Teaching Company course that I always wanted and use that as a practice class. Take notes as you watch, review the notes after every class.

I wanted to start my MLS 10 years ago. I had a baby instead. We named him Dewey...

:lol:

Best wishes! Keep us updated.

... is there a reason why you're going to wait a year?

Yes, I just had surgery last week and I will need another surgery sometime either this summer or early fall. My friend is in the same boat. Her mom just died. Because of our life circumstances, we decided to begin Jan 2010 to give us time to wrap up our personal affairs so we can focus on school once we start.

I'm in the study skills & notetaking camp.

I'd buy myself a Teaching Company course that I always wanted and use that as a practice class. Take notes as you watch, review the notes after every class.

I already have quite a few of the Teaching Co. courses. Good idea for practicing study and note taking skills.

Anna,

Do you already know the college which you'll be attending? If so, I'd browse around their bookstore to see what texts they are using in the classes you would most likely take. Perhaps you can get a head start on some of the basics. For example, if you are going to study the Classics, check out what Latin or Greek texts they use.

Best wishes!

Regards,

Kareni

I would brush up on Computer Applications type information.

Learn what Microsoft Office really does (or what ever you are using). Learn hot keys for typing editing text. Brush up on your typing skills if they are rusty. MS office really is an amazing program, if you know how to use it. Take a class or just get a book, you can learn a lot just by doing silly little projects at home.

Use Excel to create spread sheets/ charts and how to insert/link them into a paper.

Learn the tricks of Power Point, most presentations are in digital format now.

Learn how to back up data to a hard drive an transfer files between a memory stick, back up drive, current PC and/or any other storage deice you may use. Learn how to save in different versions of MS-or again what ever you use (not every computer you use may have the same version of MS as you), and what the different file types are and what they are for.

Learn what current technology students are using, like what an mp3 player is and how to use it for more than just music.

Become best friends with your computer, know it inside and out. Set restore points, do basic maintenance like defrag, and did I mention learn how to keep a back. up. file!

I would brush up on Computer Applications type information.

Learn what Microsoft Office really does (or what ever you are using). Learn hot keys for typing editing text. Brush up on your typing skills if they are rusty. MS office really is an amazing program, if you know how to use it. Take a class or just get a book, you can learn a lot just by doing silly little projects at home.

Use Excel to create spread sheets/ charts and how to insert/link them into a paper.

Learn the tricks of Power Point, most presentations are in digital format now.

Learn how to back up data to a hard drive an transfer files between a memory stick, back up drive, current PC and/or any other storage deice you may use. Learn how to save in different versions of MS-or again what ever you use (not every computer you use may have the same version of MS as you), and what the different file types are and what they are for.

Learn what current technology students are using, like what an mp3 player is and how to use it for more than just music.

Become best friends with your computer, know it inside and out. Set restore points, do basic maintenance like defrag, and did I mention learn how to keep a back. up. file!

:iagree:

I also agree with those who have said study skills. I went back to college a year ago and these are the two things that I would say are the most important. Spend this time trying to work out how you best take notes and how you can study from them. Practice taking notes from books and from educational podcasts (they are like lectures;)). There will still be some adjustments when you start studying because different lecturers work different ways but as long as you know what works best for you, you will be miles ahead of everyone else :D

Good luck and have fun!!