Menu

Anyone live in or near Syracuse, New York?

I have never lived there, but dh and I went to a state-wide LEAH convention there. I get the impression that LEAH is very extensive in all of NY, we were involved with a group on Long Island. However, it is a pretty religious group and you do have to sign a statement of faith. If that is not you thing then I am not sure about other hs groups. Closer to NYC there are a multitude of secular groups. FWIW, it looked like a lovely area, except that now the state convention is located in Rochester. HTH, a little at least. :001_smile:

I have lived in Syracuse all my life. I can tell you anything that you want to know! Houses are cheap, but the taxes are not. But even in spite of taxes, housing is more affordable here than it is in a lot of other places we looked at living. Traffic is almost a non-issue except in a few sprawling suburbs, but it is still nothing compared to big city traffic.

As for homeschooling, there are lots of homeschoolers. The LEAH convention has moved to Rochester, which is one and a half hour drive:angry:. And just to clear up what newlifemom said, you can attend the conventioni without signing the statement. If you want to be an active member of thier group, you have to pay dues and sign the statement. I have heard talk of a secular group in the area, but I don't know anything about it.

My family is involved in a co-op through a local church. It is called HIM ministry. You can have a look here. There are about 100 kids involved this year (I think that number is just for elementary, but I'm not sure).

I don't know what else you want to know... but I will do my best to answer if I can!

There is a fairly large hsing community in the Syracuse area. We belong to the chapter of LEAH just north of Syracuse, and our chapter has around 65 families. You don't have to sign a statement of faith for LEAH unless you're an officer, but it is a strongly Christian organization, and it has been my experience that they can be rather pushy- sometimes to the point of being offensive- when it comes to their political agenda. But if you can overlook that, it's a great support group, and the only one available to those of us north of the Onondaga County line! If you are planning to move closer to Syracuse (within Onondaga County,) there is a Yahoo Group: Syracuse Area Homeschool Association. They are an inclusive (secular) group, though some of their members also belong to LEAH. I receive their e-mails, but have never been to one of their "live" meetings. They seem to be pretty active with field trips and park days, and if I lived closer to the city, I would definitely be more active with them!

Let me know if I can be of any help or answer any more questions! (Oh, I do hope you're moving to an area north of the city! It would be so nice to have another WTMer to hang out with!)

-Robin