Menu

Fabric?

I look at patterns and I see things I would love to make for my dc, but I can never find fabric that is made for clothing that is affordable. My Walmart stopped selling fabric, but it wasn't all that upsetting. Most of the fabrics they sold was for quilting, did not wash well and was extremely wrinkly. Then I go look at JoAnns Fabric and they want $12ish a yard for a fabric that I think might work, but it still doesn't seem to match up to the fabric needed to make the patterns. And after you buy the fabric and notions, you might as well have gone and bought it new at full price.

Why is fabric so expensive? I thought making your own clothes was suppose to save you money?

...by and large do it because either they HATE to shop for clothes, or they want and are talented enough to make some exact thing that they can picture but could never find in a store, or achieve a much better fit than storebought.

They don't save money, but they get exactly what they want.

It's the same with knitting, by and large. I can find sweaters FAR more cheaply on sale or in thrift stores than I can find the yarn to make them (not to mention the time). And don't start me talking about knitting SOCKS!

If you have the time, try ebay. I'm looking there now to find fabric to make a bumper and skirt for the crib. It's a little like a treasure hunt, but there are so many fabrics to choose from! I also like that I can narrow my search by material, yardage and color.

In fact when I was married (24 years ago) I had only 1 'store bought' item--my 'going away' dress... other than my undies I made everything. Mainly because I/we could not afford to buy at stores. Fabric was much cheaper.

Since the majority of today's clothing options are imported--making your own clothes just cannot compete. Fabric prices have steadily risen due to decreasing demand. Most fabric stores are now more 'home decorating' stores that fabric stores.

The other posters have the right idea--only buy on clearance or with coupons. Never pay full price for patterns.

Fabric choices will probably be EXTREMELY limited--so you may or may not find your perfect fabric.

The only sewing I do now is quilting.

I'm on mailing lists for the local fabric stores so I can find out what's on sale and also get the coupons they send out.

I load up on stuff when it's on sale. Interfacing will be going on sale at JoAnn's in the near future, and Hancock's will be having a 50 percent sale on thread (a clerk at Hancock's commented that when the thread goes on sale they literally run out of the stuff because so many people do this). Needles were half price about a month ago, so I got several packs. And I never buy fabric full price.

I trace patterns onto my own stuff (I like Pattern Ease, purchased on sale or with a coupon) so I can use the original multi-size pattern over and over in a variety of sizes.

I also purchase online at sale prices (once I found a bunch of stuff on the Hancock website for 50 percent off what it was selling for at the store, and also got free shipping).

My attitude towards sewing economically is sort of like people who manage to feed a family of 8 for a relatively small amount of money -- I work at it!

My 9yo is skinny -- fits into toddler sizes if we go my her girth, but is a normal height. It's impossible to find pants that fit her in the store. Speaking of which, it's impossible to find pants that fit me in the store, so I don't plan on ever spending those dreadful hours in a dressing room again -- those terrible lights, those piles of clothes that look so awful on me -- ugh! NEVER AGAIN! I've figured out how to make pants that fit me, I buy bottomweights, zippers, etc, when they go on sale, and I am FREE of being at the mercy of the clothing stores and manufacturers.

Also, it's great to know, in times like this, that I can do stuff for myself ... make our clothes, cook our food from scratch, educate our kids.

ETA: Dh has a cousin who wants a new vehicle (I can't remember if it's a car or a truck), so he's going to go looking for an engine he likes, and then find a body that he likes, and put it all together himself. It doesn't even cross his mind to go look at new or used vehicles -- he just gets the parts he likes and puts them together himself. I guess some of us are just like that -- we'd rather get exactly what we want, even if it seems deeply weird to others.

Edited by GailV

Please educate me on fabric. If I want to make my 5yo dd dresses where you sew fabric to the bottom of a teeshirt, what kind of fabric do I get. What fabric washes well, doesn't need ironing and will hang nicely? I would like to try and order some fabric on line.

I would also like fabric to make shorts and ropers for my boys. What kind of fabric is good for that?( no ironing, can take lots of wash and wear)

Jo-Ann sends out 40% off coupons pretty regularly. Most stuff is on sale 40-60% off most of the time.

But I like to shop the clearance racks when I have an additional-15%-off-of-your-total-order coupon.

You do know about the Jo-Ann teacher discount card right????

15% off total order, including sale prices!!!

I signed up online - had to join PEAH i think it was to get a number to enter (free, sign up online too, get the number instantly), then they mailed me the card. It comes with a coupon that is good for 20% off one time. I renewed in the store no problem.

Maybe you don't WANT to know, but hey, i have to share the problem with someone right??? :tongue_smilie:

http://www.joann.com/joann/about_joann/about_frame.jsp?url=about-joann-stores.joann.com/education/teachers.php

I miss those lovely Liberty Florals that made up such pretty skirts and dresses. It was difficult to find florals for the girls' bridesmaid dresses three years ago. I ended up starching and ironing the wimpy cotton stuff that I had to use. The dresses were pretty enough, but the fabric choices are a big disappointment. I agree that most of what is offered is for crafters and home decoration not clothing. Dd went looking for fabric in Germany and found none. The ladies there don't sew at all she was told.

JoAnns is just not realistic for me. The closest one is 45 mins away. I might as well pay shipping than pay the cost of gas and time to get there and back especially if I get there and don't find anything I like. Any help on how to choose a fabric on-line?