Menu

Does anyone else run slowly?

or is it slow? Anyway, a friend asked me to run a 5K with her. I usually do an elliptical machine so I hopped on the treadmill to see how I felt actually running that distance. It took me 49 minutes! I was so embarressed. I have been exercising for my entire adult life! It wasn't THAT taxing to do it, although I usually only do cardio for 30 minutes, but I don't know if I am going to be able to shave that much time off in two months.

Why do I run so slow?

Could it be that the treadmill doesn't keep an accurate mileage? I enjoy running in 5K's. I consider myself a slow runner, coming in around 30-32 minutes. But when I'm on my treadmill, it takes me much longer to run a 5k (according to the mileage meter on there). So, you might want to run at the track or someplace where you can know for sure how far you have run.

HTH

Could it be that the treadmill doesn't keep an accurate mileage? I enjoy running in 5K's. I consider myself a slow runner, coming in around 30-32 minutes. But when I'm on my treadmill, it takes me much longer to run a 5k (according to the mileage meter on there). So, you might want to run at the track or someplace where you can know for sure how far you have run.

HTH

I plan to run on a track as soon as it warms up a bit. That may account for some of it, but not all.

When I set the treadmill on 4 miles an hour, it feels like a comfortable running jog. When I set it on 5, I feel like I am sprinting and out of control of my body and could fall off. I am SO weird!

Maybe try doing 1 minute bursts at the speed you're trying to work up to? And then change it to 1.5 minutes, then 2 minutes, etc.

I think some of it has to do with stride. I find that I can lengthen my stride if I concentrate on what I'm doing without feeling like I'm working that much harder, if that makes sense? A little more pushing off with my toes, bringing my knees up a little more. It's easier to experiment with this on a track than a treadmill, though.

I did a 5k a couple years ago in 29 minutes and felt VERY good about that. I'm totally out of practice now though. :glare:

I remember a little lady who ran so s l o w l y that I had to laugh at her when she asked if she could run with me. "I can't run THAT s l o w", said I.

Well that little lady wasn't discouraged by my 17 year-old shamefully bad behavior (but it was true, I could not run that slow), so on her own she just plunked on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and....

While she only started running at 46, with-in a few years she was running marathons and setting world's best times for her age. That lady was my Mom. She sure taught be some lessons by her example, including the value of perseverance, and humility (for I have never done what she did).

My advice? Plunk on as slowly as you need to, it all about getting there in the end :001_smile:

Bill (who will add one "practical" bit of advice for improving speed. Interval training. Run slowly, but then have "bursts". Not full out bursts, so you can't go on. But stretch your pace, then fall back to "normal". And repeat. Slowly, over time this will increase your speed. Stretch well first so you don't get "injured".

I remember a little lady who ran so s l o w l y that I had to laugh at her when she asked if she could run with me. "I can't run THAT s l o w", said I.

Well that little lady wasn't discouraged by my 17 year-old shamefully bad behavior (but it was true, I could not run that slow), so on her own she just plunked on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and....

While she only started running at 46, with-in a few years she was running marathons and setting world's best times for her age. That lady was my Mom. She sure taught be some lessons by her example, including the value of perseverance, and humility (for I have never done what she did).

My advice? Plunk on as slowly as you need to, it all about getting there in the end :001_smile:

Bill (who will add one "practical" bit of advice for improving speed. Interval training. Run slowly, but then have "bursts". Not full out bursts, so you can't go on. But stretch your pace, then fall back to "normal". And repeat. Slowly, over time this will increase your speed. Stretch well first so you don't get "injured".

That's a great story, Bill! Your mom is quite a classy lady. And, you're giving great practical advice with the details of running and especially keeping a "can-do" attitude.

This "old lady" (me) is currently doing karate, and although I feel completely stupid sometimes doing it, slowly but surely I'm making progress. It's good to keep a positive attitude! There's a lady at the karate school who started at the age of 65, and she's now 80 years old. She just earned her 4th degree black belt!

So----never give up!

First of all, if you're okay with running at your current pace, then by all means don't fret about it. Don't feel you have to go faster just because others run faster.

Second, I ran for what was essentially the first time on a treadmill a couple of weeks ago and all I know is, my pace was way, way, WAY off on that dreadful machine. I run at a pretty decent clip outdoors, but on that...that...that THING (:D) every stride felt miserable. I also do *not* think it was even remotely accurate. So, if you want to get a more accurate idea of your pace, run a race or time yourself on a track or some such.

Finally, I think some people run slowly because they don't push themselves to run faster. Again, I'm not saying you should push yourself if it's not important to you. But if you genuinely want to run faster, I'll bet you can. Interval training, track/speed workouts, cross-training...All these things can help. Or go with the good old-fashioned approach of pushing the envelope for a mile every now and then. Just see how fast you can really go. You may be pleasantly surprised.:)

LOL I brought up this topic once before and the whole shorter thing was kind of poo-poohed, which was surprising to me.

It's just interesting that on the treadmill at the gym there can be a taller guy next to me running the same pace (I watch our feet hit in almost perfect synchronicity), but I'm running at 5.0 and he's on 7.2 LOL And then the tiny little chick on the other side of me can be on the same speed level that I am, but she is running much faster (her legs pumping at a much quicker rate than mine).

Anyhow, I am just trying to work my way up and what it is, it is. If I can finish a 5k and someday (again) a 10k without walking, that will be awesome! Then, I'll move on to working on better times. It's a long process for someone who used to weigh 231 pounds, let me tell you. But then again, *before* babies I ran all the time, so I think I have the advantage of knowing what I *CAN* do.

I run a 15 minute mile, so you don't seem like you're going that slowly to me. :)

I am so slow and it's discouraging to try to run with people who are faster. I actually quit for awhile because it was so depressing. I'm just now trying to get back into it.

I really think my problem is my technique. I don't pick 'em up and put 'em down like I should. I'm working on that.

What was the movie or show (maybe Seinfield) where they were funny runners? Does anyone remember that?

I think that was an episode of Friends. Rachael and Phoebe went running together and Rachael was embarrassed because when Phoebe ran she flailed her arms and legs all over the place. :lol::lol: Pretty funny stuff.

even after months of training, sprints alternating with distance, etc. etc. etc.

I can do a 5k in an hour. Seriously. I am realllllllly slow. Even when I feel like I'm going fast, I am slow.

I also struggle to run outside (exercise-induced asthma). So my running is almost entirely indoors on the treadmill (when I'm not suffering from plantar fasciitis as I have been for the past 10 months).

Dh runs about twice as fast as I do. He's not that much taller, his legs aren't that much longer, and while he does weigh less than I do the speed difference was the same when we both were at the same weight.

I'm just slow. I can't seem to get any faster, either.

At least now I know I'm not alone! :tongue_smilie:

I am so slow and it's discouraging to try to run with people who are faster. I actually quit for awhile because it was so depressing. I'm just now trying to get back into it.

I really think my problem is my technique. I don't pick 'em up and put 'em down like I should. I'm working on that.

We got the DVD "Evolution Running" and dh and I worked on technique. Even when I AM "running properly" I'm slow. It is discouraging. I hate to run "with" dh because it's not really running WITH him at all! He practically walks while I die alongside him...or else he takes off and I'm left feeling like I'm shuffling along.

Ergh.

Evolution Running was good as a DVD running "coach," though. I can run the 180 steps per minute but I still cover the distance slowly.

I think that running on a treadmill and running on solid ground are two very different things. It all has to do with the stride that you can take. I feel like I have to shorten my stride on the treadmill....so my legs are actually moving a lot faster, yet taking shorter steps, than I would do outdoors. It wears on me more quickly and I have to end up going slower. I think that when you run outside you will find you run better and more quickly.

I'm slower on a treadmill than I am outside as well. I don't know if I can run any more, but when I started training for a 5K last fall (before health issues), I could do a 5K on the treadmill in about 56 minutes. I am not short. When I got outside, I instantly shaved off 6 minutes. By the time the race came around, I finished in 43 minutes, which is still horribly slow compared to a lot of people, but it was a lot faster than I started with. I'd love to be able to do another one this spring, but my foot has to stop going numb after two miles first!