Menu

Wimpy music you secretly like, but are embarrassed to admit?

So, what guilty little secrets do you all harbor when it comes to music? The groups or songs you really like, but would never admit to?

I'm going on record here to say I like the group Bread from the early 70's, and in fact just bought their song "Everything I Own" from iTunes. Ahhhhh, the wimpy, easy-listening joy of it!

I also like Seals & Crofts.

So, how about you guys? What is in your iPod that you would be embarrassed to be caught singing along with?

Michelle T

Kind of the opposite, in fact. I really like Meatloaf. -Would not be acceptable in my conservative crowd.

I also like the song "loverboy" by Queen/Freddy Mercury. Uh...the lyrics are really unacceptable for a gal like me to sing along to if you think about the real meaning. :blushing:

I was also listening to Abba *before* it recently became cool.

But no, I don't go so much for the wimpy tunes except maybe James Blunt, who makes my kids roll their eyes. :001_rolleyes:

I am a typical, conservative, middle-aged housewife and mother. And I love Green Day, especially the older stuff! I can get so much house work done to that, but I have to be very cautious about singing the lyrics above a whisper.

As far as sappy, it horrifies dh that I can belt out disco tunes with the best of them. Not my favorite kind of music, but I know all the songs.

I too am a fairly conservative person, but my mp3 player is full of songs from Prince, George Michael, Poison, Guns N Roses, Whitesnake, Bob Seger, Motley Crue, Nickelback, Sarah McLachlan, Matchbox Twenty, Elton John, Norah Jones, Van Halen, ACDC, etc. It soooo motivates me in my workout routine and makes me feel young because most of the songs on my playlist are from my teenage years! It also gives me the warm fuzzes towards my husband because he introduced me to most of these songs way back then! I'd be a little embarrassed if some of my acquaintances got a hold of my player! LOL

I'm never embarrassed to admit music I like, and I like most types.

Recently I've been listening to a few opera compilation cd's but today I wanted something different so it was time for a few oldies. Andy Gibb, Roberta Flack, and Simon & Garfunkel. Ahh.. memories!

I hum and sing along to music in stores and even elevators if I like the tune! :)

Kind of the opposite, in fact. I really like Meatloaf. -Would not be acceptable in my conservative crowd.

I also like the song "loverboy" by Queen/Freddy Mercury. Uh...the lyrics are really unacceptable for a gal like me to sing along to if you think about the real meaning. :blushing:

I was also listening to Abba *before* it recently became cool.

But no, I don't go so much for the wimpy tunes except maybe James Blunt, who makes my kids roll their eyes. :001_rolleyes:

Boy do I get grief for it too.

Karen

I am not sure wimpy is the right way to describe it... but I still love:

Celine Dion

Bon Jovi

Metallica (the old songs)

Chicago

Bob Segar

Yes! I love all of these (well-except Celine Dion). I was a total Metal Head in high school-I went to all of the concerts. I have seen Bon Jovi 3 times, and would see him again if I could.

Oh-CHEAP TRICK-can't forget them.

Sigh.... I suppose it had to come out eventually....

Milli Vanilli

I listen to my cassette tape now and then. How can I *not* love "Blame It On the Rain," "Girl You Know It's True," and

Yes, you know it's true. Oo-oo-oo! I love you!:lol:

They were very popular my senior year of H.S. and a few of my friends changed the lyrics to "Blame it on (you guessed it) Elaine.":D

JOurney, Reo Speedwagon and Air supply!!! Great 80's memories! LOL

We must be "of the same vintage" :001_smile:

Also love Stevie Nicks, Billy Joel, Carole King, Linda Ronstadt, Jackson Browne, The Eagles, Foreigner, Heart, Pablo Cruise (who remembers them?) and especially ******Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers******!!!

But now that I'm "of a certain age", my most listened to 'tracks" on my ipod are Chopin and Amy Grant.

They sure don't make 'em like they used to :coolgleamA:.

Jackie

Another Simon & Garfunkel lover here... my husband's jaw actually dropped when he heard Paul Simon (solo) on my iPod. I'm 80% hard rock, 15% country, and 5% anything else that grabs my fancy - like Ace of Base, for instance. Or I might have "Walk Like an Egyptian" by The Bangles... things of that nature. I'm embarrassed now and may go hide under a rock. :blushing:

We must be "of the same vintage" :001_smile:

Also love Stevie Nicks, Billy Joel, Carole King, Linda Ronstadt, Jackson Browne, The Eagles, Foreigner, Heart, Pablo Cruise (who remembers them?) and especially ******Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers******!!!

But now that I'm "of a certain age", my most listened to 'tracks" on my ipod are Chopin and Amy Grant.

They sure don't make 'em like they used to :coolgleamA:.

Jackie

:iagree:

I don't consider what I like to listen to to be wimpy. Obviously Jimmy is my very favorite, but I do like a lot of different kinds of music. Some of the things others have listed as wimpy, I don't find wimpy. But some of the other things people have listed I would almost consider torture to listen to.

I'll fess. I don't have an Ipod, but if I did you might find some....

Neil Diamond there!

i never liked him at all before, but dh loves him:tongue_smilie: and got my ds singing his songs as a toddler. How could I not change my mind?

I guess I have a love/hate relationship with ND now. I think of Neil as a big bag of chips I'd scarf down in private, immensely enjoying and loathing myself at the same time. :D

So, what guilty little secrets do you all harbor when it comes to music? The groups or songs you really like, but would never admit to?

I'm going on record here to say I like the group Bread from the early 70's, and in fact just bought their song "Everything I Own" from iTunes. Ahhhhh, the wimpy, easy-listening joy of it!

I also like Seals & Crofts.

So, how about you guys? What is in your iPod that you would be embarrassed to be caught singing along with?

Michelle T

Gosh, I haven't heard anyone mention "Bread" in such a long time. :lol:

None of these would I be embarrassed to admit liking.. I love music so much I never apologize for liking something.

Burt Backarack, and all who sang his songs, especially Dionne Warwick (her old covers/60's.. not the 80's stuff :tongue_smilie:)

Steve Miller

Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young

Roy Orbison

Beach Boys

Marvin Gaye

Stevie Wonder (though some of his stuff is not really easy listening)

Sarah Vaughn

Dave Burbeck

Ella Fitzgerald

Boz Scaggs

Steely Dan

Carly Simon & Sweet Baby James Taylor

ELO

And many more... but it's early yet and my tired old brain can't see to think of more to list.

I too am a fairly conservative person, but my mp3 player is full of songs from Prince, George Michael, Poison, Guns N Roses, Whitesnake, Bob Seger, Motley Crue, Nickelback, Sarah McLachlan, Matchbox Twenty, Elton John, Norah Jones, Van Halen, ACDC, etc. It soooo motivates me in my workout routine and makes me feel young because most of the songs on my playlist are from my teenage years! It also gives me the warm fuzzes towards my husband because he introduced me to most of these songs way back then! I'd be a little embarrassed if some of my acquaintances got a hold of my player! LOL

Yeh, I'd be a bit embarrassed if some of my friends found my mp3 player. I've got some pretty racy stuff on it (You Can Leave Your Hat On - Joe Cocker) and tracks from Jagged Little Pill.

You'd never guess who introduced me to Alanis Morrisette...

my mother!!:eek: