Menu

How much do 3rd and 4th graders write in school?

DS9 in a Classical School writes about one paper a month. It is usually some type of 3 pt. paper. Ex. If I Were President... and then he writes 3 paragraphs with each paragraph stating one thing he would do. With an intro and concluding paragraph - 5 paragraphs total. He also has to write 5 sentences a week each with a different spelling word and some other grammar convention - prepositional phrase or compound verb, etc.

My dd is 8 and in 3rd grade at public school. This week, she wrote a paragraph using 5 or 6 of her spelling words, wrote her words in various ways every day (in alphabetical order one day, 3X each one day, etc), did two book reports (one was a 6 section timeline about Ben Franklin and one was more of a standard report on SB Anthony), wrote a page in her journal everyday, and did some writing in both Science and Reading group.

She didn't write this much in homeschooled 2nd grade, that's for sure.

When my kids were in 4th grade, they wrote "stories" every few weeks and journaled every day. However, they had essentially NO writing instruction and the quality of their work was poor.

My oldest went back this past January for 8th grade after four years of homeschooling. I was very, very worried about her writing, because it has always been such a struggle for her and we did not make nearly as much progress as I had hoped. So far, in the past 5 weeks, she's written a one page persuasive essay for Language Arts. It was filled with grammatical and spelling mistakes, wasn't organized well, and the writing sounded very immature. I would have felt generous giving it a C. She received an A+.