Menu

Is there anyone here (preferably females) who only wear dresses?

Ok......I think it is totally bizarre that anyone would comment on what another adult is wearing! :eek: Those people need to get a life! Yikes......I just can't imagine having the gall to tell someone that they needed to wear pants or a skirt.

I've known of churches where the pants/skirt issue for women was HUGE. It finally got to the point in one of the churches where they began a "casual" service for those who insisted on not dressing properly ;). Because, you know, it just isn't right for the casual types to sit next to those who are properly dressed for worship. ;)

I'm sorry for being so snarky this morning, but this type of legalism has really been jumping out at me lately. Probably because I'm one of the casual dressers. :D

I say "dresses" because we also wear skirts. :) We have dressed this way for 7 years.

My personal preference is to wear skirts that come down to my ankles, and that flare out- no pencil skirts for me. My reason for this style is for practical purposes. The wind is almost never an issue since the skirt is so long, and due to our lifestyle (farming, gardening, small children), I need the freedom of movement that fuller skirts provides. I wear silk long leggings in the winter under heavy denim or another heavy fabric, and I don't find that I'm any colder than I would be otherwise (although in TX it isn't that cold for that long anyway)

To say that we've met with resistance is an understatement. When I began wearing head coverings over a year ago, even my most conservative friends were ready to head us over to the loony bin. I am one who would much rather fit into a crowd, and I loathe to stand out, but these were our own personal convictions. I've had my feelings hurt more than once, but I've learned not to let other's opinions of us matter as much.

One thing that still gets to me, however, is how many people instantly assume "how we are". We're assumed to be "one of those kinds of people". "Overly religious", "legalistic", and the list goes on and on. (Warning....I think I'm almost at a rant- sorry!)

I don't believe we are any of those things. We're just a regular family who chooses to dress in a different manner for our own reasons. We do not belong to any church, sect, or cult. We came to these convictions on our own. We're "just Christians" without a denomination determining what we must do. We don't believe that we are better than anyone else, and we honestly don't care what anyone else wears. (end rant)

Whatever you decide, I would encourage you that you are the one that has to feel at peace with your decision.

Basically I guess I wanted to know that I am not the only one who feels this is appropriate. Also, I am trying to figure out reasonable priced places to purchase dresses since finding them in a regular store is almost impossible these days. I also haven't figured out how to make it work with my "Wal-Mart dress code" I am required to wear to work every day. I am not much of a skirt kind of person (makes me look dumpy I think) so I am mainly thinking either jumpers or dresses.

Last year I started to make the switch to dresses. This almost made my dad faint - I was tom-boy as a child and practically had to be wrestled into a dress or skirt! Anyway - I went to a couple of thrift stores. I pulled all the dresses in my size (I was amazed how many there were!) Through trial and error I discovered that my body looks best in a "sheath" - a no sleeves, slightly form-fitting dress that I wear over a shirt. I found them in knit fabric that moves with me when I am playing with the kids or house-cleaning. I wear leggings underneath during the autumn and winter.

If you do the thrift store route it makes it pretty painless as you try to find styles that work for you. My ds (who loves me in dresses!) kept trying to get me to wear romantic flowing ones - I got one but discovered that style trips me on the stairs and actually made me look frumpier (because of where my weight is distributed). But since the dress only cost me $3 it was no hard-ship to put it in the charity bag!

I started when I couldn't find any decent clothing for my 7yo. Everything was styled after Brittany Spears (this was 5 years ago). My skinny dd could not wear the low rise pants and jeans (they just fell off of her) and there was not a dress or skirt to be found. Only low rise jeans and midriff tops.

I got angry that I couldn't find any decent clothes over size 6x. I started looking online - researching and questioning. What does God say about modesty and dress? Who is deciding what I wear me or some designer somewhere who is making a lot of money off of changing styles every year? Why do I dress the way I do? Why don't women wear dresses anymore? My grandmother always wore dresses. I used to love to wear dresses when I was little. What changed?

I decided that:

1) I like dresses and skirts

2) I had become very frumpy in my dress (jeans, sweats, dh shirts)

3)I felt modest and feminine in a dress or skirt

4) I felt honoring to my husband and my God when I dresses this way

5) if I wanted my dd to dress this way I had to set the example

I didn't know if I could do it. I thought I would freeze in winter. I wanted this to be a heart decision not a law I imposed upon myself. So, I tried it and I liked it. So, for some 5 years now I have chosen to wear dresses and skirts. I have worn pants a few times when I thought I was more appropriate. I have to say the day I put on a pair of jeans to go to the park when it was cold and damp, I was freezing and couldn't wait to put on my favorite flannel dress and silk leggins.

I found that I could do almost anything in a longer skirt and that my fuller cut dresses worked great for maternity clothes. And a skirt and top were great for nursing. I can crawl around on the floor with my toddlers. I feel ready to run out of the house at any time and still look put together. No more "frump mom" for me! ( I also love aprons)

I only wear skirts and dresses in the spring, summer and some of fall. Haven't filled the wardrobe to be bundled enough for the winter. I love wearing dresses, my husband likes it and so do my boys. I feel more feminine and reverent if that makes sense. I tried to get some winter skirts, but I would need some wool stockings to make it work. Besides it is hard to trudge around in the snow with a skirt. I don't want to feel like I HAVE to wear a skirt like I see some women and girls do. A karate outfit with a skirt on is very different.:)

I agree, if you feel lead, go for it. Nothing like the peace of following a leading. I felt lead too, but didn't make it work for winter.

This is how I feel, too. I don't worry about making sure I always wear a skirt, but I love how it makes me feel, and DH loves how it looks on me. :D

I just started feeling like I looked immodest in jeans. I was always thin growing up, and when I was a teen I liked to look good so people would notice me. When I got married, I wanted to look good for dh, but not for other men. I talked to him about it (he said he didn't care, whatever made me comfortable), and got rid of all my jeans.

I went through jean/short withdrawal for about six months, but stuck with it. I now find that skirts or dresses are cooler in the summer, and a skirt made out of the right material, with tights or long socks is warmer in the winter than I ever remember pants being.

Several months ago, I was given a few pairs of very nice, expensive khaki slacks by a relative. I tried on a pair and they were comfortable, and I wore them for a day, thinking I might wear them to clean or work in the yard. Dh didn't say anything for a while, but on day two he quietly told me he liked me better in skirts/dresses. To the charity they went, and I've never looked back.

As a side note, I have to admit that I do wear pajama pants and sweats for lounging around the house or exercising. I have found it very difficult to be comfortable on the couch or with the kids in the evenings while wrestling a long nightgown. The pajama pants and a t-shirt are much easier, and nothing beats a pair of sweats straight out of the dryer when you're sick, like today for me.

One thing that still gets to me, however, is how many people instantly assume "how we are". We're assumed to be "one of those kinds of people". "Overly religious", "legalistic", and the list goes on and on. (Warning....I think I'm almost at a rant- sorry!)

I don't believe we are any of those things. We're just a regular family who chooses to dress in a different manner for our own reasons. We do not belong to any church, sect, or cult. We came to these convictions on our own. We're "just Christians" without a denomination determining what we must do. We don't believe that we are better than anyone else, and we honestly don't care what anyone else wears.

Sounds like you are spot-on, Faithseed. You wear what you feel comfortable wearing and you don't worry about what others have on. Wouldn't it be nice if we all could get past appearances to the things that really matter in this life? :)

I'm sorry that others' legalism has been applied to your family.

I wish you lived close to me. I think we would be good friends.

:eek:

I do wear only dresses and skirts. I strive not to look easy access or frumpy.

I cannot retype now but feel free to PM me.

Kari

For the record~ I do not think the Bible teaches that all women MUST wear skirts/dresses but I am certain He wants me to. I can share more later :-)

I had to laugh over the "females" part, too, because I spent a week last month at a monastery with monks who wear their habits for all kinds of work. I'd probably be much more comfortable dressed like that than in my usual uniform of jeans or khakis.

I have to admit that my husband tried on a utilikilt (http://www.utilikilts.com/?page_id=30) a couple of weeks ago, and ....my goodness :D. If we could afford the $250 he would have one right now! He looks much better in it than in jeans, honestly.

(btw, it has a modesty snap for things like climbing ladders, etc---a friend of ours has two and loves them)

For those who think jeans are more modest than a skirt, I challenge you to spend a week with an Amish farming mother. You will never find a more modest woman. Yes, she can hand till a garden, climb ladders into the haymow, climb over fences, and still be modest. It's a matter of wearing skirts or dresses that are long and full enough for your lifestyle.

I have never ever told anyone else what they should be wearing (nor do I plan to), and my religious conviction is not one of obligation, but of joyful compliance. Like a princess would be expected always to uphold her regal image, it is my joy to cultivate a modest and feminine style.

My personal preference is to wear skirts that come down to my ankles, and that flare out- no pencil skirts for me. My reason for this style is for practical purposes. The wind is almost never an issue since the skirt is so long, and due to our lifestyle (farming, gardening, small children), I need the freedom of movement that fuller skirts provides. I wear silk long leggings in the winter under heavy denim or another heavy fabric, and I don't find that I'm any colder than I would be otherwise (although in TX it isn't that cold for that long anyway)

Agreed. I am not comfortable, nor do I look good, in a straight cut skirt or one that is shorter than mid calf. I don't have to worry about modesty when I sit down or bend over, etc.

:p Try imagining the looks *I* get when the folks making the assumptions find out that the stay at home mom who always wears skirts or dresses, has a long gray ponytail, stresses modest behavior and dress for her daughter, has not had television service for years because of the content, refuses to buy Bratz dolls or even remotely suggestive clothing for her 7 year old, is very active in her faith community and classically homeschools her child is actually a Neopagan!

I'm afraid I rather mess up the stereotype for them :D.

is where are you all finding stockings/tights (winter weight) that don't do the whole static cling thing with your skirts. I bought a new pair of tights, tried wearing them with a denim skirt and it took all of 20 seconds for me to go insane, rip the whole outfit off and start over.

I want to wear skirts (waaaay more comfy).

I don't want to be cold.

If I could find a solution I'd be a really happy momma!

Yeah! What she said! :D

Jackie- That's so sweet of you! Thanks! I'm sure we'd be good friends too :)

Karen- I actually snorted when I got to the end of your post! I bet you do get some reactions!! *snicker* You go girl! I suppose we would fit in most with the Mennonite conservatives...that is, until they learn that not only do we drink wine, we *gasp* even make our own. ~faints dead away~

SnowWhite- Amen- joyful compliance.

Honoring your beliefs to the utmost of your ability and convictions is important for your own peace.

About 2 years ago I got a long denim skirt. I couldn't believe how comfortable it was. I bought another, and another, and another (thus started my eBay addiction :D ) How come no one ever told me how comfortable they were? I have 2 pairs of jeans and 2 pairs of khaki pants. The rest of my wardrobe "bottoms" are long skirts (mostly khaki & jean, but other stuff also). However, I usually don't wear the pants unless I'm going to be doing something where it would be immodest for me to wear a skirt or if it is laundry day and everything else is dirty.

They are cool in summer and warm in winter. In fact, last winter I was doing a little construction project on my front porch in a skirt. I decided I needed to go to the hardware store for something. It was an icky day and I knew I would be climbing in the back of the pickup so I changed to jeans. When I got home I completed my project in my jeans and I was really surprised at how much colder it was with the jeans. Something about having a buffer of air between skin and fabric kept me warmer. I can't stand wearing tights due to the static. I just wear socks with mules or boots in winter. I actually think I look nicer in the skirts.

I only wore shorts once or twice last summer. I happen to find the skirts more cool and comfortable than shorts.

I have no problem with people wearing pants/jeans (as long as I don't have to look at their crack). DH hasn't really said anything...in fact, I don't think anyone has said anything to me about it.

DD chooses to wear skirts and dresses if given an option. I do have to remind her to put some pants/shorts on under the dress if she is twirling around or roughhousing with her brothers.

Some of the other posts about it being "dangerous" to wear a skirt had me floored. Eeek. Whether or not I'm in danger based on my clothing choice has never crossed my mind. The area of town/time of night I'm driving/walking maybe, but never my clothing. That would be an interesting study.

That was beautiful, Eliana. Thank you for posting. Would you mind telling what Jewish sect you belong to? Our Tapestry of Grace class is studying ancient Israel. We're learning some basic Hebrew, and next Sunday we're going to visit a historic synagogue in Washington, D.C. The students have a real love for the Jews, and I would like to bring your words to their attention.

I didn't mean to offend you -- I just didn't know how to refer to different philosophies of Judaism.

Last week when my class (I teach it) was preparing for our synagogue visit, we were looking over handouts that I purchased from Behrman House Publishers. The students were really shocked to see a photo of a woman rabbi! They had lots of questions ("Is she from the tribe of Levi?"). One little girl is so infatuated with Israel that she will be going there with her mom this coming fall on vacation.

I think the students would love to meet someone like you. Thanks again!