Menu

Is there anyone here (preferably females) who only wear dresses?

I have been considering this option in lifestyle for quite some time and am feeling possibly drawn to this again.

Yikes! No! I love pants. It's too cold for dresses here most of the time (I'd love to tell that to some of the girls whom I see waiting at the bus stop wearing mini-skirts and flip-flops in the dead of winter :rolleyes: )... plus... having been forced to wear them 6 days out of every week until I was 16 (private school + church) I have a clinical aversion to them. I wear one during the Summer sometimes when I'm feeling light and flingy and flirtatious with the hubs...:p I love pants and rarely don a dress.

"preferrably females" :D

I don't exclusively wear dresses. It would be particularly difficult during the nursing days.

I DO, however, almost always wear skirts when I go out. I like knee length skirts (more sporty than feminine, I admit). I don't know that I have any philosophical opinion other than I think I look more put together and lady-like. Also, there is my dh's preference for skirts on me (he likes my calves)....:)

I wouldn't be able to make a commitment to only wear one type of apparel though.

Jo

Yikes! No! I love pants. It's too cold for dresses here most of the time (I'd love to tell that to some of the girls whom I see waiting at the bus stop wearing mini-skirts and flip-flops in the dead of winter :rolleyes: )... plus... having been forced to wear them 6 days out of every week until I was 16 (private school + church) I have a clinical aversion to them. I wear one during the Summer sometimes when I'm feeling light and flingy and flirtatious with the hubs...:p I love pants and rarely don a dress.

me too! I spent most of my youth wearing skirts & dresses --all day, every day! Shorts and pants weren't allowed. (long culottes were for PE)

And,

I still can't eat oatmeal. It was served 6 days of the week at school

And,

I still can't stand the sight of green jello with pears. Actually Jello of any kind is really gross.

And,

I still can't stand pb&j's.

It's amazing what our past does to us! :eek:

"preferrably females" :D

I don't exclusively wear dresses. It would be particularly difficult during the nursing days.

I DO, however, almost always wear skirts when I go out. I like knee length skirts (more sporty than feminine, I admit). I don't know that I have any philosophical opinion other than I think I look more put together and lady-like. Also, there is my dh's preference for skirts on me (he likes my calves)....:)

I wouldn't be able to make a commitment to only wear one type of apparel though.

Jo

Jo rofl I started laughing to rofl

Oh my son would love it if I got rid of my slacks and jeans and wore nothing but dresses.

me too! I spent most of my youth wearing skirts & dresses --all day, every day! Shorts and pants weren't allowed. (long culottes were for PE)

It's amazing what our past does to us! :eek:

I am with you there on long culottes... Because of my past experience, I can't do them... ever!!!

Amy

I have been considering this option in lifestyle for quite some time and am feeling possibly drawn to this again.

I don't all the time but have been more intentional about increasing the skirt/dress choices in my wardrobe. I chose them for the fem. appeal and my husband likes me in skirts versus doing it for a religious reason. Like Battlemaiden, I feel more put together with some of my skirts (knee length).

I think if you are being drawn to it, you should go for it! What does your husband think about it?

Amy

and trying to add more dresses/skirts. I *mostly* wear them, but I *do* pull on jeans when it's very cold.

I haven't been able to find long socks in a while . . . or comfortable thick tights. Maybe I'd be warmer in skirts if I did more shopping online! My s-i-l told me she orders boot socks so her legs are covered even when she's in skirts.

My dh doesn't seem to care, but, when pressed, says he thinks skirts are more modest than pants. That matters to me.

When I have been feeling unfeminine or unspecial I will go for an extended period wearing only skirts and dresses. I actually prefer long skirts with leggings underneath in the fall and winter. It feels much warmer to me. Somehow wearing skirts gives me the motivation and energy for more domestic tasks. Not sure why. Maybe it was all those hours of Little House on the Prairie. LOL. On those days when I wear my long skirts at home, I seem to get much more done in the way of housework and yard work.

I say that if you'd like to, go for it.

and trying to add more dresses/skirts. I *mostly* wear them, but I *do* pull on jeans when it's very cold.

I haven't been able to find long socks in a while . . . or comfortable thick tights. Maybe I'd be warmer in skirts if I did more shopping online! My s-i-l told me she orders boot socks so her legs are covered even when she's in skirts.

My dh doesn't seem to care, but, when pressed, says he thinks skirts are more modest than pants. That matters to me.

Although I haven't worn them, my daughter's tights feel great. I am sure the quality is very nice.

Amy

Yep, here to went to Christian school culottes (sp?) only or dresses. Hey, I even went to PCC and was shocked to discover how many girls had pair of jeans hidden for when they left campus. Although Ihave nothing against dresses I go for a more ann taylor loft look now.

her blog is www.engstromfamily.blogspot.com :p

I've loved watching the journey this family has taken, though we don't go down all the same paths. :o It is startling how many people have had a negative reaction to the dresses only thing. :( Her normally supportive, helpful, gracious mother-in-law is not particularly encouraging of this practice (read major understatement), so whenever I know I will be around this mil, my dds and I choose to wear skirts in solidarity.:cool:

Can someone post an example of how you wear a "long skirt"...I would love to, I think it would look more feminine, but I can't imagine how I would be comfortable all day in it schooling and I can never figure out what to put on my feet (I have really fat ankles even though I'm built really small - Thanks MOM! :rolleyes:)

Also a link to a "complete" look would be appreciated as well. Let's just say I'm "fashionably" challenged!

Angela

Can someone post an example of how you wear a "long skirt"...I would love to, I think it would look more feminine, but I can't imagine how I would be comfortable all day in it schooling and I can never figure out what to put on my feet (I have really fat ankles even though I'm built really small - Thanks MOM! :rolleyes:)

Also a link to a "complete" look would be appreciated as well. Let's just say I'm "fashionably" challenged!

Angela

Long skirts are actually more comfortable than short ones. With a long skirt I can sit as unlady like as I please ... and still be totally modest. Can't do that with a shorter skirt, not even one knee length.

I wear skirts and dresses pretty much exclusively (only exception really is when we go to the Y to work out under a really long tshirt). I wear them because they are comfortable and I look better in them (I've *seen* my rear end in pants---:eek:). My preference is for skirts that are at least mid calf if not a bit longer, and that are fairly full so that I can move around (at least an A-line). Our winters are pretty mild, but I will put a pair of leggings under one of my longest skirts for sitting out at the park all day with the homeschool group when it's going to be chilly.

Not horribly fashionable, but my typical thing in colder weather is denim skirt/folded over cuff socks/tennis shoes. For dressier occasions, trouser socks (hence the really long skirts <g>) and loafers or low pumps. When it's warmer, I wear sandals.

Now I never did understand how can skirts be more modest than pants. I heard this all through highschool and we were told it's just a "standard" for the school which was fine but more modest um well no....not when you walked up and down stairways that were open or perhaps slipped down:eek: Pants would have been good. Oh and ....wrap around skirts wind does not mix.....yikes

is where are you all finding stockings/tights (winter weight) that don't do the whole static cling thing with your skirts. I bought a new pair of tights, tried wearing them with a denim skirt and it took all of 20 seconds for me to go insane, rip the whole outfit off and start over.

I want to wear skirts (waaaay more comfy).

I don't want to be cold.

If I could find a solution I'd be a really happy momma!

Preferably females cracked me up. :D hee hee ;)

I had considered it at one point. My dh made a point that he really wants me to wear pants for my saftey. I do wear dresses to church though but not out in public. He said that he fears my safety in public regardless so his reasoning is that pants are much harder to get into than dresses. If you feel you want to do that then by all means do it. I would ask dh about it though. I thought my dh would be for it since that is the way he grew up. He said no way for alot of reasons.

I know this is not much help but just my perspective and what dh's thoughts are.

Holly

I dressed in all dresses and skirts and dressed my daughters the same or in cullottes. I think the phase lasted about 2 years.

One of my daughters never did forgive me. But then, she never forgives me for anything.

I don't think my motives were right and my husband did not want me to do this.

I only wear skirts and dresses in the spring, summer and some of fall. Haven't filled the wardrobe to be bundled enough for the winter. I love wearing dresses, my husband likes it and so do my boys. I feel more feminine and reverent if that makes sense. I tried to get some winter skirts, but I would need some wool stockings to make it work. Besides it is hard to trudge around in the snow with a skirt. I don't want to feel like I HAVE to wear a skirt like I see some women and girls do. A karate outfit with a skirt on is very different.:)

I agree, if you feel lead, go for it. Nothing like the peace of following a leading. I felt lead too, but didn't make it work for winter.

I don't all the time but have been more intentional about increasing the skirt/dress choices in my wardrobe. I chose them for the fem. appeal and my husband likes me in skirts versus doing it for a religious reason. Like Battlemaiden, I feel more put together with some of my skirts (knee length).

I think if you are being drawn to it, you should go for it! What does your husband think about it?

Amy

If I had a husband I don't know what he would think about it. I've been single for over 4 years now and am not even dating anyone. It's just me and my 19 year old daughter who is ok with me doing whatever I want (as long as I don't make her do it too LOL).

I did for about a year, but I got so much grief from other Christian homeschool moms that I couldn't take it any more and quit. I still think about going back to it, but I have zero support (other than dh, who thinks it is nice, but doesn't want to deal with the comments.)

Anyway, I loved, loved, loved the way I felt in skirts. I say go for it!!!

her blog is www.engstromfamily.blogspot.com :p

I've loved watching the journey this family has taken, though we don't go down all the same paths. :o It is startling how many people have had a negative reaction to the dresses only thing. :( Her normally supportive, helpful, gracious mother-in-law is not particularly encouraging of this practice (read major understatement), so whenever I know I will be around this mil, my dds and I choose to wear skirts in solidarity.:cool:

She has chosen this path. Her mother seems fairly supportive, but her sister and other family members all think she is pretty much out of her mind. I also try to be supportive.

I don't wear pants (or shorts!), only dresses or skirts with hemlines to my mid-calf or below.

What kind of insight are you looking for?

Practical/logistical? I haven't been uncomfortable or inconvenienced by it at all. Layers, including tights or leggings, are a good solution in cold weather. Sturdy fabrics and appropriate cuts to my skirts let me work or play without difficulty. Leggings under skirts ensure modesty in windy weather or during certain types of activities.

Motivation? Mine is simple. This has been the 'dress code' of my people for a very, very long time; it is the way an Orthodox Jewish woman dresses, and I believe it has profound spiritual significance. This observance is one of the many ways we sanctify the physical, and it enriches my life on many levels.

If there is anything I can share with you that might be of assistance in your spiritual journey, let me know... and best wishes as you explore observances which might enhance your connection to the Divine. The process is amazing and, whatever you end up deciding about specific things, you will end up with a better sense of how you relate to G-d and your practice of your faith.

Eliana

Basically I guess I wanted to know that I am not the only one who feels this is appropriate. Also, I am trying to figure out reasonable priced places to purchase dresses since finding them in a regular store is almost impossible these days. I also haven't figured out how to make it work with my "Wal-Mart dress code" I am required to wear to work every day. I am not much of a skirt kind of person (makes me look dumpy I think) so I am mainly thinking either jumpers or dresses.

I only wear skirts and dresses in the spring, summer and some of fall. Haven't filled the wardrobe to be bundled enough for the winter. I love wearing dresses, my husband likes it and so do my boys. I feel more feminine and reverent if that makes sense. I tried to get some winter skirts, but I would need some wool stockings to make it work. Besides it is hard to trudge around in the snow with a skirt. I don't want to feel like I HAVE to wear a skirt like I see some women and girls do. A karate outfit with a skirt on is very different.:)

I agree, if you feel lead, go for it. Nothing like the peace of following a leading. I felt lead too, but didn't make it work for winter.

I guess these are the main reasons I feel drawn to wear dresses instead of pants.

I did for about a year, but I got so much grief from other Christian homeschool moms that I couldn't take it any more and quit.

Ok......I think it is totally bizarre that anyone would comment on what another adult is wearing! :eek: Those people need to get a life! Yikes......I just can't imagine having the gall to tell someone that they needed to wear pants or a skirt.

As for me......I am definitely a jeans/t-shirt and pony-tail type of gal. :) My daughters on the other hand, even the 14 yo, all prefer to wear the long flirty skirts. Their taste is much more refined than mine. ;)

Now I never did understand how can skirts be more modest than pants. I heard this all through highschool and we were told it's just a "standard" for the school which was fine but more modest um well no....not when you walked up and down stairways that were open or perhaps slipped down:eek: Pants would have been good. Oh and ....wrap around skirts wind does not mix.....yikes

and the guys would stand underneath to look up. Or the times a gust of wind would catch my skirts and send them waist high ala Marilyn Monroe. Or my bosses who loved to tease me by finagling me over one of those open grates in the sidewalk exhausting air. (It was teasing because they knew I'd grab my skirts before I stepped on the grate). Or sitting in class and seeing up a classmate's skirt.

Nope, well fitting pants and shorts are far more modest. In fact, poorly fitting pants are probably still more modest.

how I am going to make this work with my dress code at work (especially since I would rather wear dresses or jumpers than skirts). We are required to wear a navy blue top and khaki colored bottoms. Can I quit my job yet? LOL

Is this at Walmart? If so then there is a gal who is dresses only that works at my local Walmart. She wears a tan skirt that is very long.

Holly

Or the times a gust of wind would catch my skirts and send them waist high ala Marilyn Monroe. .

That has happened to me several times even when going to church. Yikes!! So I make sure I have my kids flank to my sides to prevent that on a windy Sunday. That is another reason my dh didn't want me to wear dresses all the time. There were too many incidences of my dress flying up or the teasings or ...

Now I would never make comments about other women being dresses only. I have several friends that wear dresses only. They are not bothered that I wear pants and vice versa.

Holly

because I've had this large midline surgical scar that runs from bra line to belly button. For whatever reason, the scar is very sensitive. Pants and jeans bother it if worn all day; so for comfort, I wear dresses and jumpers which do not sit tightly at the waist. I find it difficult to get in the mood to do serious cleaning in a dress and I have trouble with wearing pantyhose. I feel like a half dressed secretary most days. Winter is very difficult for me to find "grown" women's clothes that are comfortable and wearable. Yes, I have one pair of low rise waist pants; no woman my age/height/wieght should be wearin' low risers. Soft knit pants are a option and I do wear them occasionally, but they make me feel like I'm wearing pajamas. Stacy! Clinton! Help!

Guest Virginia Dawn
I still can't stand the sight of green jello with pears. Actually Jello of any kind is really gross.

Spaghettios and green Jello for lunch, makes me nauseous every time I think of it. :)

Guest Virginia Dawn

It was often uncomfortable and inconvenient. After 2 years, I got a revelation that I didn't really want to be wearing only dresses and skirts for the rest of my life.

However, I still wear casual skirts a lot in the summer because they are so much cooler. And since it is summer, all I have to do is slip on a pair of sandals. Before, I would have to figure out what kind of foot and leg coverings wouldn't look stupid or cause discomfort during cool weather.

Also, since I can't stand to stick out in a crowd, I found that wearing a close approximation of what other women my age are wearing, I could blend in and feel deliciously anonymous. :)

I had to laugh over the "females" part, too, because I spent a week last month at a monastery with monks who wear their habits for all kinds of work. I'd probably be much more comfortable dressed like that than in my usual uniform of jeans or khakis.

But that wasn't what you were asking about, was it? ;)

I did want to mention that there is are a bunch of Yahoo mailing lists for women who wear dresses for religious reasons. Many are for members of a particular faith (Christian, Jewish, Muslim) or denomination within that faith. For obvious reasons I've never been a member of those, but there is a co-ed one about plain and modest dress that I belonged to for a little while some years ago. The list owners are a Catholic woman and a Quaker man. The subscription requirements seem strict, but my experience with the group was very positive and I found it helpful that there were Christians from a variety of backgrounds on the list. Many had come to modest dress as part of a return to religious traditionalism in one form or another.

HTH!

I am all for celebrating my femininity, but Nope. I find loose jeans or trousers cover a lot more than skirts. It is windy here - you really have to watch it if you wear a skirt! My take on the intent of the Biblical admonition on clothing is two-fold. First, it must be modest and second, it must honor the gift of sexuality (male or female) God has given us. In other words, I don't want to ever dress or groom myself in such a way that I could be mistaken for a man.

Also, I think God is more concerned with my actions and communication toward others than whether I am wearing a skirt or trousers. I think that focusing too much on "religious" clothing can alienate us from others and become a matter of pride.

Wear what you and your husband like and what makes feel feminine. If your husband does not like the idea of all skirts, I would drop it. Most men don't enjoy seeing their wives look super frumpy. (Just being honest here!)

During the Gulf war I was undercover, covert and wore civilian clothing. The Sheik asked that all females dress to a certain code who were covert. So I fought the war in office dresses falling below the knee, sleeves below the elbow, and no collar bone showing. I was stationed at the international air port in Abu Dhabi while at the air port dresses were OK. However I had to spend some time in tent city where Shaw Air Force base was set up. Walking through that camp meant I had men literally trailing me and touching my dress/skirt or other behavior I will not type out. American men not Arab men. For some men it was just hunger for the feminine and for a lot of others it was just easy access. In tent city I tried to always wear slacks and was very thankful to have them. In fact I felt safer wearing pants.

Dresses and skirts maybe more feminine but the also offer easy access. Men do treat women who wear dresses different and while in the military and out working in the field of archeology I heard more than once that to some men a woman in a dress means easy access.

I grew up in a church where not wearing a dress or skirt was a sin. So was a female cutting her hair. My mil was an orthodox Jew and she wore nothing but dresses and a wig or scarf to cover her hair. I have lived in United Arab Emirate, Saudi, Israel, Holland, and of course in the States and no matter where or what religious flavor legalism is a hard burden to bear. I am not saying that your desire is legalism but just that I have seen dresses only held in that light. I do own a couple of dresses and a couple of skirts but my main wear, outfit is jeans or clam diggers in the summer.